View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Birthday WRs

Rate this Entry
I did a couple all easy swims at the end of last week, which I didn't blog. Then I packed up to drive down to the U of Md for the Terrapin's Colonies Zones meet on Sunday. I did not have particularly high expectations. I haven't been training as much, have done virtually no drylands or yoga, and have been feeling unmotivated. I also haven't done a long course meet in years and had very little long course training in the tank. But I wanted to give the 50 fly and 50 back a whirl in the hopes that I could pack it in for the summer and forget about meets for while. And, happily, I succeeded, setting two WRs in my new age group! In both races, as expected, I tightened up and died somewhat the last 10 meters (this always seems to happen no matter my training). But I am still quite pleased with the results.

50 fly:

former WR: 30.97
my swim: 30.52

I made a couple mistakes in this swim. I should have taken 1-2 more kicks on the start (was trying to be cautious of 15m m mark). And I lifted my head up too high to breathe, especially on the last breathe where I was actively looking for the wall. I found it somewhat hard to judge the finish. I have no doubt I could improve a few tenths if I really trained for this event. But I am honestly quite happy with this time. I wasn't even sure that I could go a 30.97. And this time is only .3 off my time from 4 years ago when I was much more focused on long course. Here is the video Fort21 took where you can see me racing the speedy 50-54 world record holder and my buddy Susan Williams:

https://youtu.be/0Iak8xQAD1I

50 back:

former WR: 33.75
my swim: 33.08

Though I got off the blocks fast, I was a bit flat on my start. But my SDKs and breakout were really solid, and probably gave me the lead/win (barely) in this race. I had a good stroke rate, but I felt like the race went on forever. Where was the wall?! I took more than twice as many strokes as I do in my SCY 50 back (46). I would have liked to be a couple tenths faster, but I am still so happy to come away with a world record. Here is the video that my daughter -- who showed up at the meet to surprise me for my birthday -- took:

https://youtu.be/o-7QubFobg4

I'm going to keep working out and swimming, but not at my usual hard core pace. I want to be fresh for the fall racing season. Very happy that I can now just goof off at my upcoming beach week with friends!

Submit "Birthday WRs" to Digg Submit "Birthday WRs" to del.icio.us Submit "Birthday WRs" to StumbleUpon Submit "Birthday WRs" to Google

Updated July 12th, 2016 at 04:28 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Wow, those are fantastic swims!!!!

Hope you get to enjoy some well-deserved beach time

Are you doing the LCM meet at Texas A&M in a few weeks? I haven't registered for it, but I guess I still can...
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow, those are fantastic swims!!!!

Hope you get to enjoy some well-deserved beach time

Are you doing the LCM meet at Texas A&M in a few weeks? I haven't registered for it, but I guess I still can...
    Thanks Tim! I had been planning on that meet. But I am weary of traveling for meets and meets in general. So I promised myself that if I did well at the Terrapin meet, that would be it for the summer. And my beach week overlaps with the Texas meet anyway.
    Way to go, Leslie. Great swims, enjoyed the videos. It's very neat that with your training you have been able to swim fast times and break WRs mid-season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    Way to go, Leslie. Great swims, enjoyed the videos. It's very neat that with your training you have been able to swim fast times and break WRs mid-season.
    Thanks Doug. Hmm as I think about it, those times were the result of only about a month of half assed training after CN -- I should be really happy. A few days rest was all that was warranted. And they were still off my best times by a margin. Getting older no doubt.

I am convinced that Russell's prescription of 25s only for long course 50s is just not right. You need more sprint endurance to hang for the entire 50 meters.

Good luck in Oregon! How's your training going? You haven't been blogging ...
    Updated July 12th, 2016 at 04:30 PM by The Fortress
    Congrats and Happy Birthday! Great videos and loved hearing your personal cheering squad. Enjoy your beach week. Behave or don't get caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Congrats and Happy Birthday! Great videos and loved hearing your personal cheering squad. Enjoy your beach week. Behave or don't get caught.
    Thanks Joel! I do love the "go Mom" cheers in the background. I fully intent to have some fun and relaxation.
    Super swims and long course - way to go Leslie (can't open the links 'til I get home due to company security block). That pool seems like a worthwhile trip. Enjoy OBX, my fav beach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Super swims and long course - way to go Leslie (can't open the links 'til I get home due to company security block). That pool seems like a worthwhile trip. Enjoy OBX, my fav beach.
    Thanks Bill. U of Md is definitely one of my favorite pools, and they now even have the fin blocks.