View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Monday July 25

Rate this Entry
Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pine Island Beach Club

Warmup:


500 various
100 scull
6 x 50 single arm fly
50 EZ

Main sets:

2 x
5 x 50 w/paddles @ 200 pace @ :20 rest
1 x 50 EZ

50 EZ

8 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)
50 EZ

6 x 25 w/chute & paddles
150 EZ

Total: 2800


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I went to the neighborhood lap pool this am. Lovely setting, but OMG the water was hot. It must have been 87-88+ degrees. I've never worked out in water that hot. Halfway through the workout, I jumped out and took a cold shower. Then repeated that cold shower at the end. Skipping swimming tomorrow for some stand up paddle boarding. The ocean is the calmest that I've ever seen it in OBX. But unfortunately the water temp is 59 degrees. Definitely too cold for me to do any OW swimming!

Submit "Monday July 25" to Digg Submit "Monday July 25" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday July 25" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday July 25" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. aztimm's Avatar
    That water temp does sound horrible, no less for a workout. Looks like you didn't stick to intervals, which is a good thing in that bathtub.
    My community pool here is probably similar. The few times I've gone, I just swim a little, lounge a little, and drink plenty of water.

    You've done stand up paddle boarding, haven't you?
    You might end up in the water a little, so dress to tolerate that.
    I think you've been going to the gym and doing box jumps and such? Otherwise, your legs may be sore for a few days.
  2. Sojerz's Avatar
    Its really flat all over - make sure some isn't pulling your leg about ocean temps. Surfline says 81F at Corolla and Duck pier and 78-83F at Rodanthe, Avon, and Frisco piers. Predictions are for only a little wave height increase (from 1'+ to maybe 2'+ later in the week. Pretty flat predicted through sunday 7/31. If you are looking to ride some of these wind swell waves, go at low tide with a long board, paddle board, or bogey board and fins. Sometimes bigger sets will roll in periodically if you're patient enough to wait.
    Updated July 27th, 2016 at 06:29 PM by Sojerz
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    That water temp does sound horrible, no less for a workout. Looks like you didn't stick to intervals, which is a good thing in that bathtub.
    My community pool here is probably similar. The few times I've gone, I just swim a little, lounge a little, and drink plenty of water.

    You've done stand up paddle boarding, haven't you?
    You might end up in the water a little, so dress to tolerate that.
    I think you've been going to the gym and doing box jumps and such? Otherwise, your legs may be sore for a few days.
    I have never done stand up paddle boarding. Kind of excited about it! Hopefully, the legs won't be too sore!
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Its really flat all over - make sure some isn't pulling your leg about ocean temps. Surfline says 81F at Corolla and Duck pier and 78-83F at Rodanthe, Avon, and Frisco piers. Predictions are for only a little wave height increase (from 1'+ to maybe 2'+ later in the week. Pretty flat predicted through sunday 7/31. If you are looking to ride some of these wind swell waves, go at low tide with a long board, paddle board, or bogey board and fins. Sometimes bigger sets will roll in periodically if you're patient enough to wait.
    It was truly the most frigid water that I've ever been in. Just frigid. I got that temp from a surf report. It seemed about 10 degrees warmer today when I went in, but tons of jellyfish. It is very flat.
  5. Sojerz's Avatar
    Maybe a cold water upwelling. It happened earlier this summer along NJ coast too, temp dropped to 60ish and the water turned very clear and greenish. 61 is awfully cold without a wetsuit (way too cold for me). Hope it keeps getting warmer.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Maybe a cold water upwelling. It happened earlier this summer along NJ coast too, temp dropped to 60ish and the water turned very clear and greenish. 61 is awfully cold without a wetsuit (way too cold for me). Hope it keeps getting warmer.
    Yep, it was clear and green. Oddly though, now the water is up to 80 and a perfect temp for swimming or playing.