50 torso twists

1 set of 30 front toe raises
1 set of 30 outward toe raises
1 set of 30 inward toe raises
Hip adduction: 130 x 8, 150 x 6, 170 x 4
Hip abduction: 120 x 8, 140 x 6, 150 x 4
Seated leg raises: 2 sets of 20

Thoughts:

1. Needed to have more pulling motion, so put assisted pull-ups in there. Although I can do a few unassisted, I will not go there. My friend ended her swim career in college tearing out her shoulder doing pull-ups. I've been told that for women over 130, things start to get dangerous on pull-ups. Apparently this is because of the tendency of women to carry more weight in the lower body than men. I could have heard something wrong, but why risk it? I've also heard that negative pull-ups are good and much less risk of injury.

2. Although I'm not engaged in constant aerobic activity while lifting weights, I feel as though I am burning a lot of calories when I lift. I wonder if I am and what it is about lifting that requires a large energy consumption.

Submit "Weights" to Digg Submit "Weights" to del.icio.us Submit "Weights" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weights" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm getting jealous reading your workouts after being very slothful for a week ...

I recall Jazzy or Q saying that lifting per se doesn't burn a ton of calories, even though it seems like it does and even though you're starving afterward. But the ensuing muscle mass and possibly faster metabolism compensate!

How's you nutrition going? I'm still attempting to be good, but being away from the house so much isn't good.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I'm getting jealous reading your workouts after being very slothful for a week ...

I recall Jazzy or Q saying that lifting per se doesn't burn a ton of calories, even though it seems like it does and even though you're starving afterward. But the ensuing muscle mass and possibly faster metabolism compensate!

How's you nutrition going? I'm still attempting to be good, but being away from the house so much isn't good.
    I have the hardest time being on a taper because I can't do as much! It drives me nuts. I know you will be right back in the weight room a week from now. It is hard waiting though isn't it? I feel kind of lazy this week because I haven't run very much. I'm determined to keep the running up, but thoughts of running in the 90+ temps or on the treadmill deter me.

Nutrition is pretty good. Far from perfect, but better than it has been. Today, I think I am making up for my low calorie intake on Monday. It seems like I have been eating every 2.5 hours!

After I finished my weight workout, I had a fruit smoothie for lunch that had pineapples, strawberries, black cherries, bananas, and a fruit juice (may be o.j.). I had them add some protein powder to it. It was out of this world!

Later this afternoon, I had a dessert snack. I've discovered a desset that satisfies my sweet tooth. Here is the recipe:

2 low-fat cinnamon graham cracker squares (Honey Maid)
    Sliced strawberries
    Light wiped cream

Put sliced stawberries on graham crackers and add a tablespoon of light wiped cream to each. Tastes sinful but supposedly has only 130 calories.

I guess I must be craving sugar today!
    Updated June 17th, 2009 at 10:02 PM by elise526
    Maybe I'll try that dessert. My girls would like that. The smoothie sound good too. I had one yesterday.

I think I will be in the gym on Monday. I'm only swimming three events on Sunday, so the recovery shouldn't be too bad. I'm completely over resting; it's torture now.
    I don't doubt your shoulder/pull up story, but I don't understand how it happened. If you have more details, I would love to hear them.

It was probably Jazz who said lifting doesn't burn many calories, but I do agree that the increased muscle mass will increase your metabolism. When I went from not doing any exercise to just lifting 3x/week including squats, and my caloric intake went from 1800 to 3200 calories, without gaining any weight, just a drop in body fat. That is my incidental evidence for the day.

I don't see how negatives would be safer than regular pull ups. If you are going to damage the muscles in your back and shoulder, I would think that you would let yourself drop to a fully extended position with such force and speed that the weight of your body tore muscles that didn't relax fast enough.

That said, I am not sure either way, and if you are happy doing negatives, then do negatives, you aren't missing out on anything fun by pulling yourself up
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Maybe I'll try that dessert. My girls would like that. The smoothie sound good too. I had one yesterday.

I think I will be in the gym on Monday. I'm only swimming three events on Sunday, so the recovery shouldn't be too bad. I'm completely over resting; it's torture now.
    The torture will soon be over with and as I'm sure you will find out Sunday, was all worth it.

Try the desset. It really is good1
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I don't doubt your shoulder/pull up story, but I don't understand how it happened. If you have more details, I would love to hear them.

It was probably Jazz who said lifting doesn't burn many calories, but I do agree that the increased muscle mass will increase your metabolism. When I went from not doing any exercise to just lifting 3x/week including squats, and my caloric intake went from 1800 to 3200 calories, without gaining any weight, just a drop in body fat. That is my incidental evidence for the day.

I don't see how negatives would be safer than regular pull ups. If you are going to damage the muscles in your back and shoulder, I would think that you would let yourself drop to a fully extended position with such force and speed that the weight of your body tore muscles that didn't relax fast enough.

That said, I am not sure either way, and if you are happy doing negatives, then do negatives, you aren't missing out on anything fun by pulling yourself up
    I will have to go back and ask my friend the details. I just recall she felt it happen on a pull-up.

When I went to the Auburn Masters Swim Clinic in 2001, we got to watch the Auburn college team do their dryland workout. It looked like pure torture. They did things on a circuit. The pull-up taboo got reinforced in me again when I heard the dryland coach remark that he did not let them do pull-ups on the routine because of risk of injury. What kind of injury, I'm not sure. He didn't say. I can't recall if he had them doing negative pull-ups or flexed arm hang, but I definitely remember the taboo on pull-ups.

I've been doing some reading. Maybe I will try doing 4 sets of 1 or 2 pull-ups. I'm concerned about doing sets where I'm "maxing" out each time.

That is encouraging about the increase in metabolism. Do you recall how long it took before you saw an increase?
    Updated June 18th, 2009 at 12:15 AM by elise526
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    That is encouraging about the increase in metabolism. Do you recall how long it took before you saw an increase?
    With squats, weeks, maybe two or three, lifting 3x/week. Without squats, it was much less pronounced, even when I was doing deadlifts.