View RSS Feed

Questions from Coaches

Club Newsletter Information

Rate this Entry
Q: I coach a Masters program with 55 active members. Should I send out a monthly newsletter and, if so, what should I include in it?
A: I’m a news junkie. Albeit old fashioned, nothing is more routine or satisfying than reading a print copy of the newspaper with a cup or two of coffee each morning. Reading the news inaugurates my daily connection to the outside world—it’s my history, civics, and current events lesson du jour. Sure, I read plenty of news articles online throughout the day, and many are attached to my social media habits—Facebook, Twitter, and my family chat threads. Websites such as USMS.org, Swimming World Magazine and SwimSwam help keep me connected to our sport and issues that surround it.
The articles I read—whether in print or online—are by choice. Information that is important and relevant to me should not be left to chance. It should be sent to me directly, preferably via email.
A club newsletter can be a wonderful resource to keep your athletes engaged, educated, and excited about your Masters program. Many coaches outsource the newsletter responsibilities to a volunteer within the program who may have the time, talent, and resources to craft and publish the newsletter with routine frequency. Typical publication schedules are weekly, monthly, or quarterly.
The key to a successful newsletter is to include and mention as many of your athletes as possible in every edition. People like to see their names, pictures, and details about their favorite topic—themselves!
Once you’ve established a working template for your newsletter, it’s relatively easy to fill in the blanks. Your newsletter could include:
· A welcome to new members (list their names and a brief biography including a fun fact).
· A listing of any upcoming changes to the practice schedule and venues.
· Upcoming events with an emphasis on the program’s focus events (explain where you are in your seasonal plan) such as:
1. Fitness events
2. Meets and open water competitions
3. Social activities
· Accomplishments of the program and individuals (be sure to include photos) such as:
1. Event results
2. Goals achieved
· A drill of the week with an explanation of its purpose (videos are available for USMS certified-designated coaches online).
· A swimmer profile. Choose an athlete in your program to showcase in each newsletter and include a picture.

Email the newsletter to your swimmers for free, and print a copy of your newsletter and post it on your Masters Swimming dedicated bulletin board at the pool. The newsletter should complement the other information available on the board, all of which should be designed to encourage other swimmers at the pool to join your program.

Submit "Club Newsletter Information" to Digg Submit "Club Newsletter Information" to del.icio.us Submit "Club Newsletter Information" to StumbleUpon Submit "Club Newsletter Information" to Google

Updated August 11th, 2016 at 05:53 PM by Bill Brenner

Tags: club, coach, resources
Categories
Uncategorized