View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Cleveland Meet, Aug 27

Rate this Entry
I drove down to Cleveland on Friday for the End of the Season Summer Spectacular LCM meet. It was a beautiful sunny day and it was nice to have a couple friends from Pitt there too. I went just to swim the 50 free and 50 breast to complete my sprint quartet. Though I have been doing low yardage with the pool open for only an hour, I have done dedicated long course training with a lot of AFAP 25s and 50s for the last 6 out of 7 weeks. I felt better than I did at the Terrapin meet in early July -- like I wasn't completely crashing the last 10 meters. For me, long course training makes a difference.

50 free, 28.80

I felt like I had a great start and the race went as well as could be hoped. Took 3 breaths and 13 SDKs on the start with a clean breakout. I was really just hoping to go under the current #1 time of 29.6. So I was thrilled to clear 29. And that swim was only .11 off the WR. Maybe if I had had a fin ...

50 breast, 38.75

I did not have such a great start in this race. My back foot slipped slightly on the block and I entered the water much more shallow than usual. Definitely missing the fin on this one. But otherwise, I think this is a very good time for me. I'm really not a long course breaststroker; haven't swum this in 4 years. So I will take it!

100 back, NS

There weren't too many heats between the 50 breast and 100 back. But the real deterrent for me was the shallow end. I knew the pool had a shallow end, but I hadn't realized it was 3 feet. I can't do a backstroke turn in 3 feet of water and didn't feel like lane ping pong in the sun. So, invoking masters prerogative, I scratched.

Overall, it was a very fun low key meet with nice hosts. And I was tickled to achieve my objective of grabbing the #1 times in all four LCM 50s, a first for me. I headed to the Lebo pool on Sunday and did this easy workout:

500 various
4 x 25 scull + 25 free
4 x 50 single arm fly
16 x 100
odds = alt free and back w/paddles
evens = kick
150 EZ

Total: 2650 m

I was told the pool will be open this week from 11-1 for lap swim, despite schools starting. So hoping to get some swims in.

Submit "Cleveland Meet, Aug 27" to Digg Submit "Cleveland Meet, Aug 27" to del.icio.us Submit "Cleveland Meet, Aug 27" to StumbleUpon Submit "Cleveland Meet, Aug 27" to Google

Updated August 30th, 2016 at 09:33 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Nice job Leslie. Indoors with a fin, that record is yours. Next year at Minnesota.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    Nice job Leslie. Indoors with a fin, that record is yours. Next year at Minnesota.
    Thanks. The record really wasn't on my radar, so I was just very happy with the time. I am thinking about that meet next year. I swam there as a kid growing up. The usual suspects could interfere: summer vacations and my relative lack of interest in long course meters.

You're buddy Jack Groselle was at the meet.
    Updated August 29th, 2016 at 06:42 PM by The Fortress
    Dang Leslie, nice performances!

3 ft shallow end, you can even head-butt the floor with a flip turn (I know through exp lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Dang Leslie, nice performances!

3 ft shallow end, you can even head-butt the floor with a flip turn (I know through exp lol)
    Thanks Steve. I was very happy with the 50 free. Yeah, 3 feet can be treacherous for sure. I guess I could have tried to kick out on my side, but just didn't feel like possibly being aggravated after two good swims.
    Great swims Leslie. Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Great swims Leslie. Congrats.
    Thanks Stewart. Was a fun little meet. I love having a meet or two where I just show up to swim a couple events.