View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Thursday, June 18

Rate this Entry
No swimming today. Carrying on with the rest. My family sees all indications of the taper bitchies.

ART

I did go see my ART doc today, as my shoulders and calves are still twitchy. Not sure what the cause is. The doc says it could be tossing and turning in my sleep, or it could be the lack of weight lifting. Hulk thinks it could be that the overall workload on the shoulders is too high. He theorizes that this could cause a delay in the resting-discomfort phase, which is apparently a precursor to the happy rested phase. Hmm ... Seems like I've been kicking a lot and not doing pulls and chins ... Hopefully, they'll be happy on Sunday. They're not bad by any stretch, just have some "hot spots." (Pun potential) Walked around the mall today with day glo pink and blue kinesio tape.

Electrolytes:

We also discussed the electrolyte issue. He agrees I'm likely dehydrated. He says, however, that Gatorade is "swill," no better than eating "bon bons and hohos. I told him about my travails with RecoverWrong. He suggested I try Endura. Used it today, seemed fine. Trying to drink more water.

Meet:

Checked the psych sheets for the Terrapin Cup. http://www.terrapinmasters.org/TCup09Psych.htm

I'm right next to The [Speedy] Little Devil in the 50 back and Clay is another lane over. Hmm ... Will I drown in their wake or will they be so far ahead that I'll catch a draft? Jeff is seeded 3 seconds faster. Same situation in the 100 back. In the 50 fly, I have a good seed in the second to last heat right next to Fall Willdeboorse, who is a very speedy sprinter and kicks my ass in free. So that should be a good race.

Haven't really formulated any specific time goals for this meet. Ideally, I'd like to go PBs in my 50 back and 50 fly ... we'll see if I rested enough and if I execute. I might be a tad disappointed if I don't go a 32+ in the 50 back. I went a 33.4 at Zones last year where I slipped some on the start. That's how 50s go sometimes.

Suits:

I am trying a new tech suit. As I've explained to a few of you, I don't feel comfortable with an old B70 and a fragile suit, and I need a suit for USA-S meets besides my "ratty" Pro. I'm trying the Rocket Science "Sprinter" -- brand new suit. (The previous version is still on back order.) http://www.prlog.org/10240754-rocket...d-by-fina.html. This suit is on the 2009 FINA list and I'm told meets the new FINA permeability requirements for 2010. So I'm going to try on my size Youth Medium and see if it really fits. And, besides, who can resist that name? Picture attached below.

I heard a rumor that B70 was handing out its new FINA compliant suits at the Santa Clara meet. They're not generally available now, but I wonder when they will be.

Summer League:

Stroke & Turn Question:

I wasted my entire evening attending a stroke & turn clinic. Here, you must attend every 2 years. There was one question the instructor didn't answer satisfactorily, at least to my mind. I told Hulk I'd post it here, and he can give me his opinion, as he knows this stuff cold.

Little kid approaches the wall for a backstroke turn. Kid first touches the wall on their back with their hand. Kid then realizes, OMG, I forgot to flip, so they spin and execute a forward flip turn. Is this a DQ? Once they touch the wall, does the kid then have to push off on their back to leave the wall and not be past vertical? Or even though they've touched the wall, can they hang their and remain in the "zone" of the wall, and you only assess whether they've pushed off on their back by watching the toes?

Our team may get owned this weekend, as two of our best swimmers are off at summer camps. My Lil lil Fort is swimming her first A meet doing backstroke and evilstroke. I've been trying (very mildly) to encourage fly (though 8 & Unders don't do this in A meets.) I guess she could be my second evilstroker ... Whatever makes her happy, she hasn't liked swimming that much in the past.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-attachment.aspx.jpeg 
Views:	331 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	6270  

Submit "Thursday, June 18" to Digg Submit "Thursday, June 18" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, June 18" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, June 18" to Google

Updated June 18th, 2009 at 09:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events , ART

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My understanding (though my S&T course is right about 2 yrs old) that as long as they touch on their back and leave on their back, they're good.

I'll be interested in your FB on the RS suit. Unless B70 comes out with an approved one before my SCM season, I'm likely to buy an approved RS suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    My understanding (though my S&T course is right about 2 yrs old) that as long as they touch on their back and leave on their back, they're good.

I'll be interested in your FB on the RS suit. Unless B70 comes out with an approved one before my SCM season, I'm likely to buy an approved RS suit.
    That's the rule. I was guessing as long as they're on the wall and leave on their back, it was legal. Though it seems odd they're allowed to turn on their stomach after they touch. I guess the double flip is legal as well, unless they take 2 arm strokes on their stomach.

I hope to try out the Sprinter at a USA meet in July. Hope it fits. The Rocket Skin2 is approved through 2009.
    We also discussed the electrolyte issue. He agrees I'm likely dehydrated. He says, however, that Gatorade is "swill," no better than eating "bon bons and hohos. I told him about my travails with RecoverWrong. He suggested I try Endura. Used it today, seemed fine. Trying to drink more water.
    The difference between swill and a the good stuff is the talent of the guy making it. The ingredients are the same, and the end result is the same. Gatorade works remarkably well at what it is intended to do, get you to consume lots of fluid while replenishing electrolytes. Most people might associate Gatorade more with a soft drink then a high tech sports drink, but I do believe the origins of gatorade stem from research on how to increase the U. of Florida's football team's performance during the hot humid summer.

If you like it, and it works for you, I say stick with it. Nothing wrong with trying something new, but don't throw out old reliable for unproven new and shiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    The difference between swill and a the good stuff is the talent of the guy making it. The ingredients are the same, and the end result is the same. Gatorade works remarkably well at what it is intended to do, get you to consume lots of fluid while replenishing electrolytes. Most people might associate Gatorade more with a soft drink then a high tech sports drink, but I do believe the origins of gatorade stem from research on how to increase the U. of Florida's football team's performance during the hot humid summer.

If you like it, and it works for you, I say stick with it. Nothing wrong with trying something new, but don't throw out old reliable for unproven new and shiny.
    I guess the rap on Gatorade is all the sugar. But I assume (better check the label) that G2 has less of it because of the fewer calories? I appear to just need to drink something besides water more frequently.
    Yes, G2 has half the sugar. 7 g per 8 oz serving. I don't think regular Gatorade has "too much" sugar if you are drinking it during a workout. Your body will consume those carbs.
    Don't know how accurate DailyPlate-Gatorate is, but it doesn't look like much of a difference between regular and G2. Of course when I got a case of G2, the bottles were smaller than the Gatorade bottles.
    Look again. Per 8 oz G2 has half the calories and half the carbs.
    Patrick is correct. Once the swimmer legally touches the wall (i.e any part of the body touches the wall while shoulders are rotated towards the back) they can turn in any manner they desire. Thier shoulders must be rotated towards the back when thier feet leave the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Yes, G2 has half the sugar. 7 g per 8 oz serving. I don't think regular Gatorade has "too much" sugar if you are drinking it during a workout. Your body will consume those carbs.
    Thx, Kirk. That's what I thought. I wonder if G2 is like diet soda though? Still bad for you. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Patrick is correct. Once the swimmer legally touches the wall (i.e any part of the body touches the wall while shoulders are rotated towards the back) they can turn in any manner they desire. Thier shoulders must be rotated towards the back when thier feet leave the wall.
    Thx, Paul. It's amazing how many different "turns" you can see in a summer league meet that are actually legal.
    I admit to a total addiction to Gatorade. But, I do water it down figuring the water is what does the good, not the actual flavoring or whatever else is in it. I make a gallon at double strength and then fill water bottles about 1/3 with this and the rest with H2O. I drink one a day after I workout and send one bottle to swim practice with daughter #1.

That backstroke question is a head scratcher, but a damn good question cause I see it every single meet. Two things come to mind. First, typically I see this in the slow heats so I look the other way (Paul rolls eyes). Second, I would consider this a DQ because it is not a continuous motion. And, maybe a third reason, how many wall touches is a swimmer allowed? But, good question.

I judged last night at the start end versus the turn end and it was much easier. You see ugly swimming, especially in back, at Summer League. I DQ'd 4/5 boys in a single back heat the other night due to the turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I admit to a total addiction to Gatorade. But, I do water it down figuring the water is what does the good, not the actual flavoring or whatever else is in it. I make a gallon at double strength and then fill water bottles about 1/3 with this and the rest with H2O. I drink one a day after I workout and send one bottle to swim practice with daughter #1.

That backstroke question is a head scratcher, but a damn good question cause I see it every single meet. Two things come to mind. First, typically I see this in the slow heats so I look the other way (Paul rolls eyes). Second, I would consider this a DQ because it is not a continuous motion. And, maybe a third reason, how many wall touches is a swimmer allowed? But, good question.

I judged last night at the start end versus the turn end and it was much easier. You see ugly swimming, especially in back, at Summer League. I DQ'd 4/5 boys in a single back heat the other night due to the turn.
    One of the big benefits of gatorade is that it is easily accessible. I don't have to order it online or go to Whole Foods or some such other place. I think I'll carry on with G2 or G watered down and also try the Endura.

I think the backstroke turn presents a lot of judging difficulties. Plus, even though they may swim in slow mo, it's still difficult to recognize and recall exactly what they're doing when you're watching 3 swimmers.

I also thought it might not be a continuous turn. This scenario apparently created a big fight at some summer league meet last summer. How many touches does one get? The rule book doesn't say anything about this? Paul would know. If it's only one, then it's a DQ.

You're judging all 6 kids at one end?!
    Updated June 19th, 2009 at 11:15 AM by The Fortress
    No, we have 4 judges, two from each team. Two work at one end, two at the other. How does your league work? We also split the meets in half so you either work first or second half for each position.
    We're the same. 2 S&T at each end. But you only judge 3 lanes and halfway down the lane. So the pool is split into judging quadrants. We work the whole meet, but our meets are a bit shorter than yours. The NVSL is a huge summer league with many pools (130+) and many divisions. A meets only last 2 hours; B meets may go over 3. Except at Divisionals or All Stars, then judges only work half the meet.
    I like your concept as well. I especially like the A and B parts. Our league is six divisions, with about 6-7 teams per division, so much smaller. There is also the Y league, the country club league, etc etc.
    I like your concept as well. I especially like the A and B parts. Our league is six divisions, with about 6-7 teams per division, so much smaller. There is also the Y league, the country club league, etc etc.
    I think we have 16-18 divisions. Our neighborhood pool is in D5, which suits me just fine and gives my little non-USA swimmer a chance to swim. We do have one of the relatively best pools in the NVSL (i.e., not L shaped, no walls on either side), so we usually host Divisionals.

We have a country club league as well. The fastest swimmers are happily in the NVSL.

P.S. Our swimmers can only swim 2 individual events per meet, which keeps the entries down. B meets are limited to two events as well, and typically exclude swimmers who place in the top 3 at A meets.
    Updated June 19th, 2009 at 12:34 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thx, Paul. It's amazing how many different "turns" you can see in a summer league meet that are actually legal.
    The thing to remember (and I brief this ALL the time) is that ugly doesn't mean illegal. And yeah, I have seen some real beauties. Even from the year round kids.

On a bright note, my daughter DIDN'T perform a backstroke rollover turn in her 100 IM.
    Second, I would consider this a DQ because it is not a continuous motion. And, maybe a third reason, how many wall touches is a swimmer allowed? But, good question.
    And you would be wrong.

The thing to keep in mind here is that the continuous turning motion is satisfied as soon as ANY part of the swimmer touches the wall. After that, they can turn in any manner desired. A turn is actually broken down into three seperate sections:

1) Finish rule for that length (i.e must finish on back, 2 hand touch, etc.)
    2) The turn rule (really only applies to backstroke and technically freestyle)
    3) Start rule for the next length (i.e rotated towards breast/back once feet leave wall)

Luckily our league does not have the 'continuous' requirement for backstroke turns or it could get very, very ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    How many touches does one get? The rule book doesn't say anything about this? Paul would know. If it's only one, then it's a DQ.
    Only the first one matters and is the one that is judged (so in breast a one hand touch, followed by a 2 hand touch is judged only on the initial touch, which is not legal), you then skip the turn rule (due to the touch) and go to the start rule for next length (if one applies)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    And you would be wrong.

The thing to keep in mind here is that the continuous turning motion is satisfied as soon as ANY part of the swimmer touches the wall. After that, they can turn in any manner desired. A turn is actually broken down into three seperate sections:

1) Finish rule for that length (i.e must finish on back, 2 hand touch, etc.)
    2) The turn rule (really only applies to backstroke and technically freestyle)
    3) Start rule for the next length (i.e rotated towards breast/back once feet leave wall)

Luckily our league does not have the 'continuous' requirement for backstroke turns or it could get very, very ugly.
    You should come teach clinics here.

I love the pirouettes at the wall the little kids do too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast