View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Tues Oct 4

Rate this Entry
Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewy

500 various
100 scull

20 x 25 burst SDK to 25m then cruise @ 1:00ish
250 EZ

6 rounds fast broken 100s w/fins: (2 breast, 2 free, 2 IM)
1 x 50 @ 100 pace
:15 rest
1 x 50 @ 100 pace
1 x 200 EZ

50 EZ

Total: 3200


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The broken 100 set was not as horrendous as anticipated. Maybe the long course training is still paying off. I tried to do a Lochte turn on the last length of the broken 100 free -- really hard. Not sure if it's worth doing when you're already oxygen deprived. Going to do my rehab exercises and stretching at some point today and then head off to Pitt.

Submit "Tues Oct 4" to Digg Submit "Tues Oct 4" to del.icio.us Submit "Tues Oct 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tues Oct 4" to Google

Updated October 5th, 2016 at 02:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. Doug Martin's Avatar
    Sounds horrendous, or hideous as Stewart would say. What on earth prompted you to do that?
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    Sounds horrendous, or hideous as Stewart would say. What on earth prompted you to do that?
    Oh, just to do something different ... And honestly because there was only a pace clock at one end of the pool, which ruled out a USRPT type set. I do plan on swimming a few 100s this fall though. I'm sure I didn't push it nearly as much as Stewart would have, so it wasn't quite as "hideous." I don't have anywhere near his pain tolerance.
  3. Doug Martin's Avatar
    Ha. When I encounter that pace clock situation I count breaths instead.
  4. Karl_S's Avatar
    6 rounds fast broken 100s w/fins: (2 breast, 2 free, 2 IM)
    1 x 50 @ 100 pace
    :15 rest
    1 x 50 @ 100 pace
    1 x 200 EZ
    Does "100 pace" mean at the speed you would race a 100, or at the effort level of a race 100? If the former, with fins on the set seems manageable, painful, but manageable. If they are true race-level efforts, (i.e. the effort it would take to hit your 100 pace without fins) then the set sounds completely brutal.
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Does "100 pace" mean at the speed you would race a 100, or at the effort level of a race 100? If the former, with fins on the set seems manageable, painful, but manageable. If they are true race-level efforts, (i.e. the effort it would take to hit your 100 pace without fins) then the set sounds completely brutal.
    If I'm swimming with fins, then I try to approximate the level of effort that I would use in racing a 100. I'm sure it's much easier with fins than without though.
  6. Karl_S's Avatar
    I try to approximate the level of effort that I would use in racing a 100.
    12x50@100 pace is 600 scy of race-pace swimming. That's a serious practice, I don't care how much rest you are getting between efforts.
  7. Doug Martin's Avatar
    Did three of those broken 100s today, was trying for four. It was harrowing.
  8. Karl_S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    Did three of those broken 100s today, was trying for four. It was harrowing.
    That's what I would expect. 50s@100 pace are very tough. (I tend to do 25s if I am going for 100 pace, and 50s if I am going for 200 pace. 50s at 100 pace require a whole new level of motivation!)

    Leslie is a certified bad a$$. Be very cautious about attempting her workouts, or variants thereof. I've done some from time-to-time, even the ones that look reasonable on paper tend to sneak up on you...
  9. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    Did three of those broken 100s today, was trying for four. It was harrowing.
    Maybe you were taking them out faster than me? I'm often criticized for taking my 100s out too slow (except IM -- haha). Fear of dying ... In reality, we should probably do more 100 race pace simulation work in practice. But that, that is harrowing. I'm told we are supposed do to do 3 x 100 AFAP at Pitt practice today. I'd probably do those on 15 minutes. They'll probably do them on 5 while I do 50s ...
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    12x50@100 pace is 600 scy of race-pace swimming. That's a serious practice, I don't care how much rest you are getting between efforts.
    I took quite a lot of rest gasping at the wall for a good minute before starting the easy swimming and then more rest. It was definitely harder than my modified USRPT 25s, though you get more race pace yardage in with those.
  11. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Maybe you were taking them out faster than me? I'm often criticized for taking my 100s out too slow (except IM -- haha). Fear of dying ... In reality, we should probably do more 100 race pace simulation work in practice. But that, that is harrowing. I'm told we are supposed do to do 3 x 100 AFAP at Pitt practice today. I'd probably do those on 15 minutes. They'll probably do them on 5 while I do 50s ...
    when you do the 100s on 15 mins, how do you keep your heart rate high enough so that when you go again you are able to give the same effort? Also a lot of research shows that lactate levels are at there highest after 15-20 mins even with active recovery.

    I was was talking to Neil Walker about this exact subject and he said he did a study at the OTC where it showed his highest lactate level was 20minutes after his race and that included active recovery/warm down trying to get lactate out of his system.

    I know I am not a sprinter however I find that it's always a balance between too much rest causing lactic acid build up and enough rest so that you can go hard. On 100s at race pace I tend to do well on 3-5minutes rest.

    also for the record, any race pace done right is plain "hideous"
  12. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    when you do the 100s on 15 mins, how do you keep your heart rate high enough so that when you go again you are able to give the same effort? Also a lot of research shows that lactate levels are at there highest after 15-20 mins even with active recovery.

    I was was talking to Neil Walker about this exact subject and he said he did a study at the OTC where it showed his highest lactate level was 20minutes after his race and that included active recovery/warm down trying to get lactate out of his system.

    I know I am not a sprinter however I find that it's always a balance between too much rest causing lactic acid build up and enough rest so that you can go hard. On 100s at race pace I tend to do well on 3-5minutes rest.

    also for the record, any race pace done right is plain "hideous"
    Dunno, haven't done an AFAP 100 in practice in ... uh ... maybe a couple years. They are horrendous, harrowing and hideous. Perhaps there is more lactate build up with rest, idk. What I do know is that I couldn't summon up a true AFAP effort after 3 minutes. I can't even do that on 50s. For me, rest yields a better effort.