View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Friday 10212016: Highland Lakes Challenge Weekndr Day 1 LBJ

Rate this Entry
by , October 21st, 2016 at 02:25 PM (44 Views)
early in the week I had pretty much written off this whole thing, thinking there was no way I'd be ready to do it. plus I'm taking a beta blocker, and was told to stay out of the sun.
but last night I got the itch to think about it. figured I'd get up at my normal time today, either swim at Nitro or walk the dog.
I checked out the lake water temps, it said 79F at Travis, 3am today. that was all the convincing I needed

it was about an hour drive out to Kingsland, TX where the swim began, along beautiful Lake LBJ:

air temp when I arrived was 48F but it quickly rose up and was in the mid-60s when I finished.

the course was 2.2 miles long, kind of a rectangle, but the ends were very short.
I've done several 4-5k races in the past--but they were all loops. doing a length of a mile is quite different. you can stretch things out, and think about things (like that I had never done a mile straight stretch before).

at the start I let the fast folks go. we had a quick couple of turns, getting to that mile. then I saw one gal in front, I'd guess about 10-15 yards. I figured she was holding a good pace, I just left her alone...all the way through the finish.
evidently there were others nearby at the finish, but I sure didn't see anyone.

as always I have several goals for these o/w races. here were today's:
1. finish
2. about 1:10
3. a stretch goal of 1 hour

my finish time was 1:00:01....so very close to #3

they said water temp was about 77-78F. I'd like it just a touch lower, but it was fine.

I'm registered for Marble Falls tomorrow, then Travis on Sunday. not sure if I'll do them both, kind of play things by ear. see how I feel later today. I would definitely like to swim Travis though.

Submit "Friday 10212016:  Highland Lakes Challenge Weekndr Day 1 LBJ" to Digg Submit "Friday 10212016:  Highland Lakes Challenge Weekndr Day 1 LBJ" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday 10212016:  Highland Lakes Challenge Weekndr Day 1 LBJ" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday 10212016:  Highland Lakes Challenge Weekndr Day 1 LBJ" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Oh wow, thanks for the report and I'd love to see more. One of these days, I'll do this challenge. It sounds like a lot of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Oh wow, thanks for the report and I'd love to see more. One of these days, I'll do this challenge. It sounds like a lot of fun.
    I'm really surprised you've never done this. I've met a few people from the DFW area doing it, and I'm sure there's even more.