View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Saturday 10222016: Highland Lakes Challenge Weekender Day 2

Rate this Entry
by , October 22nd, 2016 at 09:30 PM (38 Views)
Highland Lakes Challenge, Weekender
Day 2: Lake Marble Falls
http://www.highlandlakeschallenge.com/
Distance: about 3.3 miles

had a chilly start to the day here for an o/w swim!
it was about 47F at home when I got up, and even colder when I got to the start, 42F.

but the water was around 76F or so. the warm water with cool area made some steam/fog:

they delayed the start about 30-45 min to let the fog burn off.

we had a larger group today, I'm guessing about 60 swimmers (maybe 40 yesterday), but I ever felt crowded, even at the start. as the organizers said, "there's plenty of room out there, let's use it." they frown on drafting and don't like the mosh-pit starts, so we spread out nearly across the river.

similar to yesterday, this was a long shot downstream, a turn, then back. different today is the river/lake had more curve to it, so it took a bit to figure the best/shortest routes.
also different today was that all of the buoys were touch, rather than swim around.
when I got to the buoy near the dam it was right next to the rope that no one is supposed to go beyond.
on the return there were 3 buoys spread out that we could mostly see the next, which make things go very smoothly (and it seemed to break things up).

water was pretty flat...up until about the last 500 yards it seeme to get just a bit of chop.

overall another really good o/w swim.

oh my time: 1:44:54
didn't really know what to expect, I guess this was ok. but I definitely had fun

and here's a picture of the lake after I finished (nice and clear):

Submit "Saturday 10222016:  Highland Lakes Challenge Weekender Day 2" to Digg Submit "Saturday 10222016:  Highland Lakes Challenge Weekender Day 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday 10222016:  Highland Lakes Challenge Weekender Day 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday 10222016:  Highland Lakes Challenge Weekender Day 2" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

How is the water so warm with those low temperatures? We're hitting lows around high-60s/low-70's and still going up to low-90s for our highs, but Lake Pleasant, where our OW champs are tomorrow, was 73 on Friday.

Sounds like a good and beautiful swim, though I frown on people who frown on drafting - drafting's part of the fun and strategy of OW racing.
    One of my 16 year old senior racer kids swam yesterday and is swimming today. He said it was great fun. He was not expecting fog. I guess it's that time of year when the water is warmer than the air!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    How is the water so warm with those low temperatures? We're hitting lows around high-60s/low-70's and still going up to low-90s for our highs, but Lake Pleasant, where our OW champs are tomorrow, was 73 on Friday.

Sounds like a good and beautiful swim, though I frown on people who frown on drafting - drafting's part of the fun and strategy of OW racing.
    Our temps were high 90/low 75...until a big front passed through on Thursday, which dropped the air temps quite a bit.
    Since these are pretty large bodies of water, they take time to cool off.
    That said, this was nearly an ideal time to do these swims. The group who did Lake Buchanan on Wednesday said the water temp was about 80F.

I guess when you organize an event you can set the rules you want. Drafting or not, and any other limits you want to place. Yea it is a bit funky, but that's part of the charm of this event.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    One of my 16 year old senior racer kids swam yesterday and is swimming today. He said it was great fun. He was not expecting fog. I guess it's that time of year when the water is warmer than the air!
    I actually chatted with him this morning! He seems like a nice guy, and his father was kayaking for him (didn't meet him, he was already out on the water when I arrived).
    Seems like a fun swim and thanks for posting the pics. Quite a temperature variation. At 42 hope you were in the water quickly.