View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Ron Johnson Meet Report

Rate this Entry
by , November 14th, 2016 at 12:35 AM (60 Views)
I was a bit of a slacker this weekend - skipping three entered events (200 fly, 50 back, 100 free) - and none of my times were magical, but it was all very solid and, in some ways, encouraging. Here's how the Ron Johnson Invitational / AZ State SCM Champs went down at ASU.

Saturday

50 breast
  • Best time - 33.39 (Ron John, 2013)
  • Ron John 2015 - 34.25
  • This meet - 33.75
  • Thoughts
    • This was my warmup race for the 400IM and it completely served its purpose. Not that I swim this much, but it's only the second time I've been under 34, so I was pretty happy with the time.
    • For me, this race is all about the start and pullouts. My stroke felt sloppy, but it revved the engine.

400 IM
  • Best time - 4:46.48 (Ron John, 2013)
  • Ron John 2015 - 4:55.55
  • This meet - 4:52.09
  • Thoughts
    • I was kind of hoping to dip under 4:50, but this is still a very solid swim considering the training that I've done. It's my 5th best-ever jammers swim as a Masters swimmer and the 4th-best time was 4:51.76, so I've only been sub 4:50 three times.
    • Though I raced next to Darian Townsend last year, I didn't remember how much wake that dude throws off. It was kind of a wave fest until the freestyle. He went 4:14 high or 4:15 low.
    • The only bad part of my race (though I haven't seen my splits) was the fly as it just felt labored ... so much so that I decided to skip the 200 fly later in the day.

Sunday

100 IM
  • Best time - 1:02.91 (Ron John, 2013)
  • 2015 Season - 1:06.76
  • This meet - 1:04.67 (or, maybe 1:04.75 ... can't remember the exact time)
  • Thoughts
    • With the exception of my fly feeling as tight as it did yesterday, running into the lane line almost near the end of the backstroke and feeling none of the power and speed I had yesterday on my breaststroke, it was a fine race!
    • I was pretty surprised in warmup how tired I felt from the paltry amount of racing I had done the day before, but this race also served its purpose to blow some cobwebs out.

400 free
  • Best time - 4:19.70 (Ron John, 2005)
  • 2015 Season - 4:21.18
  • This meet - 4:20.88
  • Thoughts
    • Yeah, I didn't appreciate not being able to hold off Mr. Dickson on the last 50 or 100 ... and I really would have liked to knock off that ancient best time, but I was pretty happy with this race. I was completely gassed when I finished, so I know I gave it all I had today.
    • For whatever reason, I've never been able to put together a really strong 400 SCM in jammers. I still think I have a sub 4:15 race in me, but will have to wait until next year to see if I can demonstrate that.

Meet overall
  • Very glad I went and my times, in light of my training, were solid - both convert to about 2.5 to 3 seconds slower than what I did in SCY back in Greensboro when I was in far better shape.
  • I have certainly worked my way back out of my summer doldrums and am looking forward to building on this momentum.
  • While I'm not going to have time (or energy) to complete the 3,000 yard postal before November 15th, I think I'll focus my training over the next month on that event and just do it for my own record-keeping around the 17th or 18th of December. After that, I'll make a plan for the SCY season.

Submit "Ron Johnson Meet Report" to Digg Submit "Ron Johnson Meet Report" to del.icio.us Submit "Ron Johnson Meet Report" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ron Johnson Meet Report" to Google

Comments

Good to see you this weekend. I thought I would abuse myself in some hot tub water this am (Arrowhead country club) before popping off to work. 32:43. See you in the spring...happy training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    Good to see you this weekend. I thought I would abuse myself in some hot tub water this am (Arrowhead country club) before popping off to work. 32:43. See you in the spring...happy training.
    That's a nice time ... should lock up your Postal Sweep! Gives me a goal to shoot for.