View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

another week

Rate this Entry
by , November 14th, 2016 at 10:23 AM (4318 Views)
I swam about 2500 on Sunday Nov 6 and then didn't get in the water again until this weekend, where I did 2300 both Sat and Sun with a lot of kicking with my arms at the side. I did 4-5 miles on the treadmill on the other days. It's been almost a month now. I feel like I've rested the area. I haven't swum much. I've been going to PT. But the arm still swells and turns red when I exercise. My PT thinks it's a thoracic outlet issue as well. My scalenes are very tight and possibly hypertrophied and may have pulled up my first rib, which is more prominent on the right side. I am a tad worried that there is some redness in my left bicep area when I swim (no swelling tho).

I've been frustrated trying to get appointments. But with the help of a connection, I have an appt at Johns Hopkins on Thursday with Dr. Ying Wei Lum. He's an expert in the field of venous thoracic outlet syndrome (there aren't many, it's very rare). Via email, he opined that my symptoms sound like McCleery Syndrome where you have intermittent compression of the subclavian vein. I hope he can give me a diagnosis and treatment plan. Being in limbo has been very frustrating. What's scary is that I wouldn't even have had a clue that it could be a thoracic outlet issue but for my sister having the same problem many years ago ...

Also cross that my hotel reservation for NE Champs was non-refundable. I had no idea when I made the reservation. Between that and my plane flight, that's a very expensive meet to not swim in ...

Submit "another week" to Digg Submit "another week" to del.icio.us Submit "another week" to StumbleUpon Submit "another week" to Google

Updated November 14th, 2016 at 11:38 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

Sorry. You have had a lot of weird medical things happen to you. Hopefully, somebody can get you figured out or you may have to start going slow with me so you don't hurt yourself. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    Sorry. You have had a lot of weird medical things happen to you. Hopefully, somebody can get you figured out or you may have to start going slow with me so you don't hurt yourself. Good luck.
    Thanks Kurt. Yeah, I can deal with tendonitis or broken toes. This weird thing that no one has ever encountered (if it is even that) sucks.
    Also cross that my hotel reservation for NE Champs was non-refundable.
    That rots. It must be a Massachusetts thing. Several years ago I was to attend a conference in Boston. I got ill on the train ride there, had to get off in NYC and change my ticket to return home. I wound up forfeiting the conference fee and the hotel fee, as well as paying extra to change my train ticket. In the end I wound up paying several k$ to have the pleasure of standing in line at NY Penn Station to change my ticket while my head was spinning with vertigo. To top it off, when I let the organizer know that I would be unable to deliver my talk he got mad at me.

Best wishes for getting your mystery issue resolved soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    That rots. It must be a Massachusetts thing. Several years ago I was to attend a conference in Boston. I got ill on the train ride there, had to get off in NYC and change my ticket to return home. I wound up forfeiting the conference fee and the hotel fee, as well as paying extra to change my train ticket. In the end I wound up paying several k$ to have the pleasure of standing in line at NY Penn Station to change my ticket while my head was spinning with vertigo. To top it off, when I let the organizer know that I would be unable to deliver my talk he got mad at me.

Best wishes for getting your mystery issue resolved soon.
    That sounds awful. Idk ... I've been to NE Champs many times and never had non-refundable reservations before. I called Marriott and explained the situation and, thankfully, they are going to refund my money. They still have a month to book the room, so it was probably a good decision not to really piss off a long time customer.
    I called Marriott and explained the situation and, thankfully, they are going to refund my money.
    That's a step in the right direction. Hopefully your arm weirdness gets healthy soon too.
    Good luck at Johns Hopkins - hope they can id the cause and a way to recover quickly.