View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Survived

Rate this Entry
by , December 12th, 2016 at 11:46 AM (4188 Views)
I had my VTOS surgery on December 8 at Johns Hopkins. The surgery went well. The dr extracted a fairly massive first rib (see attached). The rib was abnormally large and was the culprit of the venous compression. There was also a great deal of muscle surrounding the rib, which was excised. I had a difficult time with the anesthesia, which caused me to throw up a few times. That is not particularly fun after an invasive surgery. I was able to move my arm right away and was on my feet quickly. The drive home was rather painful; I could feel every bump. I have a venogram scheduled for December 20 to assess whether the vein is patent and the clot has dissolved. I hope the vein bounces back from the compression, but the clot was very extensive. Depending on the results, I could be on blood thinners for awhile. I just hope there is not permanent damage. Anyway, the pain is reasonable tolerable with the pain meds. And my daughter is arriving home from college today!
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15370192_10154319354608759_2132258546222911736_o.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	10861  

Submit "Survived" to Digg Submit "Survived" to del.icio.us Submit "Survived" to StumbleUpon Submit "Survived" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Fingers crossed for a swift and full recovery!
    I hope this does the trick for you. Good luck with your recovery!

That rib looks like it would be good with fava beans and a nice chianti.
    Well, Kirk is clearly warped as that rib looks gnarly.

I do hope your recovery goes well. Is the prognosis positive for you being able to swim again?
    Wow, that's a big chunk taken out of your body. Glad the surgery went well, but sorry about the nausea. Hoping you get complete relief and an easy recovery. Take it easy!! What's the doctor's rehab plan?
    Thanks for letting us know your surgery went well and you are on your road to recovery. And that the pain is tolerable (less painful than SDKs!). I hope you have a nice (and restful) holiday season with your family.

I prefer a little more meat on my ribs but I suppose with a good BBQ sauce Kirk is on target!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I hope this does the trick for you. Good luck with your recovery!

That rib looks like it would be good with fava beans and a nice chianti.
    Thx. Channeling Hannibal Lector I see ...
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Well, Kirk is clearly warped as that rib looks gnarly.

I do hope your recovery goes well. Is the prognosis positive for you being able to swim again?
    Yes, most likely, assuming the vein is not permanently damaged. My other lingering worry is my other side, which the last ultrasound showed is somewhat compressed as well. But theoretically it could never be symptomatic. I know a couple elite masters swimmers who have made successful comebacks after VTOS surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhenderson
    Wow, that's a big chunk taken out of your body. Glad the surgery went well, but sorry about the nausea. Hoping you get complete relief and an easy recovery. Take it easy!! What's the doctor's rehab plan?
    Thanks Kristin. I'm supposed to start PT in 2 weeks. Can't swim for 3 months tho, apparently. We'll see ... I can already move my arm fairly well. My daughter, who is visiting and had bicep surgery, was shocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    Thanks for letting us know your surgery went well and you are on your road to recovery. And that the pain is tolerable (less painful than SDKs!). I hope you have a nice (and restful) holiday season with your family.

I prefer a little more meat on my ribs but I suppose with a good BBQ sauce Kirk is on target!
    Thanks Jeff. Well now ... SDKs aren't that painful. I now am in possession of the rib, sans the muscle. Apparently, VTOS patients like to clean them and decorate them with nail polish. xmas ornament?
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Fingers crossed for a swift and full recovery!
    Thanks Ellen. My fingers are crossed as well, toes too.
    Wow, sorry to hear that you had to go through this, but hopefully they found everything, took it out, and now you can get on the mend. Hope you'll be back in the pool soon!
    Nice Rib pic!

Heal up
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow, sorry to hear that you had to go through this, but hopefully they found everything, took it out, and now you can get on the mend. Hope you'll be back in the pool soon!
    Thanks Tim. They weren't really "finding" anything. They were just trying to decompress the thoracic area by removing the first rib, scalene and surrounding muscle. Won't be in the pool for a few months, I'm told.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks Kristin. I'm supposed to start PT in 2 weeks. Can't swim for 3 months tho, apparently. We'll see ... I can already move my arm fairly well. My daughter, who is visiting and had bicep surgery, was shocked.
    Good for you! And it doesn't surprise me. Are you going to blog your rehab and keep us posted? I pray all goes exceedingly well for you! Have a very Merry Christmas with all your family home for the holidays.
    SaveSave
    SaveSave
    Glad to hear you are over that major hurdle and it appears successful. Hopefully healing well and no further issues.
    I thought they would take out the rib and put it back after - but guess that wouldn't make sense. dah.
    If the story about Eve being created from Adam's rib is true, you're now even with us! LOL.

I can't imagine you having much trouble with PT. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.