View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Budapest Week 1 - Monday

Rate this Entry
Today marks the start of my focus on Budapest. I know it's a long way out but I wrote my season plan with Budapest as the light at the end of the tunnel. I am hoping to do 2 LCM meets as part of my build up and also to gradually increase both distance and intensity. The kids I am training are heading to Colorado for a 10 day altitude camp after 4th July and it's my hope to go on this trip. When I was in college we did an OTC trip and I have wanted to try altitude training as a master. I don't know yet how it's going to work out with me coaching and then trying to find time to swim myself. I plan on adding about 2k to my weekly distance each week until the altitude camp and then come down after the camp. I am going to train as if I am going to be competitive in Budapest but will back off if my body is not ready. I am carrying a shoulder injury that just won't go away which is not great but the elbow I had surgery on in December is doing awesome.

Pool Setup LCM
Warm up
400 Free with snorkel
6x50 catch-up on 1min

main sets
6x50 kick on 1min
3x(1x50 at 400 Pace on 1min, 1x50 easy,
2x50 at 400 Pace on 1min, 1x50 easy,
3x50 at 400 Pace on 1min, 1x50 easy
200 easy)
3x200 Pull on 3mins

warm down
6x50 working on DPS

I was able to hold :33 to my feet on the 50s. I wish I could say these were easy or even comfortabl but they were neither. I plan on doing this set weekly throughout the training for Budapest and will hopefully be able to get down to a tighter interval and hold pace.

Off to NYC with work for the day tomorrow!!! I have a terrible carbon footprint.

Submit "Budapest Week 1 - Monday" to Digg Submit "Budapest Week 1 - Monday" to del.icio.us Submit "Budapest Week 1 - Monday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Budapest Week 1 - Monday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

"I know it's a long way out"

Not really. The long course season always seems so short! What kind of weekly distance are you putting in right now, Stewart?

Good luck with your training!
    This is definitely not a long way out. I'm going to start training for Indy Nationals next May a year ahead

It would be very cool if you can do the altitude trip. I have never trained at altitude, but hope to do it someday as a Masters swimmer ahead of a big meet like you're planning. If OTC doesn't work out, we have a great new pool at Northern Arizona University, long course, indoors, that is perfect for altitude training.
    NAU would be a great place for an altitude training camp. Lots of opportunities for sightseeing--if you've got the energy after training!
    Stewart, what's the shoulder issue? I know it started after your elbow recovered. But is it rotator cuff related? How are you managing it
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    "I know it's a long way out"

Not really. The long course season always seems so short! What kind of weekly distance are you putting in right now, Stewart?

Good luck with your training!
    i am around 20k right now but my times are way off what I have been in prior years both on short and long swims. I have been lifting hard since March when I was given the all clear by the surgeon. I am getting stronger but still way off.

I have a plan that gradually increases intensity and yardage before worlds and I am trying to convince myself I have plenty of time to get my fitness back to where it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    This is definitely not a long way out. I'm going to start training for Indy Nationals next May a year ahead

It would be very cool if you can do the altitude trip. I have never trained at altitude, but hope to do it someday as a Masters swimmer ahead of a big meet like you're planning. If OTC doesn't work out, we have a great new pool at Northern Arizona University, long course, indoors, that is perfect for altitude training.
    the kids camp is actually in grand junction. Should be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Stewart, what's the shoulder issue? I know it started after your elbow recovered. But is it rotator cuff related? How are you managing it
    my doctor thinks I have a tear in my left rotator cuff. He does not know what the specific cause was but suspects I over compensated for my right elbow surgery. I am on anti inflammatory meloxicam(again). Pain is not too bad but not the best way to start training for a big meet.