View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Sunday 07092017: o/w swim @ Cedar Hill SP, TX

Rate this Entry
I had registered for this o/w swim back in December...almost forgot that I even had. since I got in so early, I only paid $30 to register, I was on the fence if I'd even show up until a few days ago. but I figured that I hadn't done any o/w yet this year, so this should be a good swim.
http://tri-now.com/races/open-water-...e-aquathlon-2/

I drove up yesterday. packet pickup was at a bike shop in Richardson, TX--which is way up on the other side of town! I was glad I went straight there before heading back to my hotel, which was about 10 min from the lake.

arrived at the venue about 6:45. there was supposed to be a briefing with starts beginning at 7:30, with mine at 7:45. due to storms late yesterday, they were delayed to re-attach the buoys. I think I started around 8:15.

took this picture when I first arrived:

then this one just before starts:

I did this swim last year, but it was in a different lake in the DFW area. this lake was much more convenient for getting to/from the Austin area (although with the I-35 traffic I use the term convenient loosely).

anyway, they divided us into 4 groups:
* women doing shorter swims (+ run)
* men doing shorter swims (+ run)
* women doing swim only (4k)
* men doing swim only (4k)

the 4k was 3 loops around a large square (the others had 1-2 loops around a smaller section)

official water temp was 80F (air was in mid-70s at start, mid-80s at finish)

I'd guess there were about 50 guys in my wave to start. the mosh-pit was very brief, maybe a minute, then cleared out nicely. right after that it seemed like I started catching some of the earlier groups.
I was on a guy who was going at a good pace...but he turned with the swim + run group.
after that I continued to pass women for that first leg.
just as I was about to turn into the 2nd lap I could feel my cap getting loose. now for every o/w swim where I have to wear a cap I always joke, "maybe my cap will fall off." I didn't think it actually would...but I could feel my head cooling off, then next thing the cap was gone. I made no effort to keep it on or retrieve it, and felt so much better without it.

the second lap was mostly uneventful.

the third lap started out ok, just passing more women and even a few men. about halfway through this loop the chop really started to pick up (boats out on the lake). I made a turn and must have taken a bunch, had to do some breaststroke and clean out my lungs for a bit (a kayaker asked if I was ok, so I must have sounded bad).

my, "official," time is 56:01, which I don't really believe. my Apple watch reported a time of 1:14, from when i first stepped in the water (deduct a little from that), 956 cal, but it didn't record a distance.

overall, it was a good experience and I'm glad I went.

next up: the zone LCM meet in 2 weeks at Texas A&M. I haven't swum in a meet for 4-5 years
then I have the Hazleton, PA o/w in late Aug.
probably part of the Highland Lakes swim (here in the Austin area) in Oct.

Submit "Sunday 07092017:  o/w swim @ Cedar Hill SP, TX" to Digg Submit "Sunday 07092017:  o/w swim @ Cedar Hill SP, TX" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday 07092017:  o/w swim @ Cedar Hill SP, TX" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday 07092017:  o/w swim @ Cedar Hill SP, TX" to Google

Comments

Good job, Tim! Yes, you probably saved 45-60 minutes by being at this other lake. And yes, I35 traffic sucks no matter what time of day it is. I don't miss that at all.

Sounds like you had a pretty good showing for the race. There's something motivating about picking a few people off at the end if you can push it a bit.

I'm so ready for an OW race, but the lakes here are so far away so no training so far. I'm heading to Jacksonville FL in a few weeks for a race there.
    80 degree water temp sounds a little hot for OW. Did it get too hot as the air temp heated up? It does look like a beautiful swim.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Good job, Tim! Yes, you probably saved 45-60 minutes by being at this other lake. And yes, I35 traffic sucks no matter what time of day it is. I don't miss that at all.

Sounds like you had a pretty good showing for the race. There's something motivating about picking a few people off at the end if you can push it a bit.

I'm so ready for an OW race, but the lakes here are so far away so no training so far. I'm heading to Jacksonville FL in a few weeks for a race there.
    It was a good event, apart from the late start. Very casual, low key. And the venue reminded me more of one of the AZ lakes, like Saguaro. Probably because it is in a state park.

There were a few people who remembered me/I remembered from last year. And a couple who did the Highland Lakes Challenge too. o/w is a small world
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    80 degree water temp sounds a little hot for OW. Did it get too hot as the air temp heated up? It does look like a beautiful swim.
    yea 80 is warm, but last year (in a different lake) I think the temp as 82. I felt so much better after my cap fell off

I didn't notice the water temp change too much during the swim. air temp was mid-70s at start, mid-80s at finish...but quite humid (typical Texas).

you'll have to come out and do this swim sometime.