View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Fri-Sat 0721-07222017: USMS South Central Zone Meet

Rate this Entry
firstly, I did go to the gym on Thursday, and did a usual chest/triceps workout. and yes, I regretted it during the meet.

I did go to swim workout on Friday morning, but only swam about 2200 yards. water was very warm. the coach helped me and the other guy going with a good meet warm-up. she seemed upset that she wouldn't see us live (she was on her way to a vacation in Colorado right after workout).

then the meet.

I'll do something different this time. rather than give specifics on each race, I'll give an overview of my thoughts.
I did swim the 1500m free on Friday, then on Saturday I did all of these:
* 400m free
* 100m breast
* 100m free
* 50m back

the good:
* the Texas A&M nautatorium is fantastic! I'd have to say the best pool that I've done a meet in (the list is quite limited), and one of the best pools I've ever been in.
* water was nice and cool. when I first jumped in to warm up it felt a bit brisk. especially compared with swimming outside at Sendero.
* the meet was very well run. plenty of timers, and counters for the 1500. they were pretty close, maybe even a bit ahead, of the timeline they posted.
* I won my age group for both the 1500 and 400 free. (there was just 1 other for 1500 and 2 for the 400). I also got a PB for the 50 back--since I had never swum it before.
* they actually gave out real medals for 1-2-3 place. I remember getting ribbons at some meets ages ago, and a medal for the Statue of Liberty swim, but can't remember getting a real medal for a swim meet ever.
* I beat my teammate in our 100m free smackdown race! we were seeded in lanes 4 & 5 (we didn't plan it). he was ahead, then I gave what I had left in the last 20m or so...and came in .20 ahead! we have a video, I'll have to upload a video someone took for us.
* swimming long course didn't seem as much of a shock as I expected. I think doing the o/w swim 2 weeks ago helped.
* it felt like there were enough people there for good competition.
* they had touchpads at both sides of the pool, so there are splits every 50. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

the bad:
* this is probably one of my worst meet performances in years. I thought I padded all of my seed times and don't think I made any. some were close.
* I wish people would seed themselves with realistic seed times. at least put forth a guess. if you swim with a coach, ask them for something realistic. yea, it sucks to wait around to swim the 1500 in the 4th heat, but sandbagging your time to 50 min, then coming in at 19 min isn't cool.
* with the location in College Station, about 2 hours from the DFW, Houston, and Austin areas, there's no excuse to get more than 200 swimmers. there must be at least 4000 masters swimmers in those areas. and it seemed there were more from San Antonio--even further--than anywhere else.
* hate to say it, but I think I'm actually dolphin kicking too much. for the 100 free video, my teammate did 3 strokes before I surfaced, just beside him. I think 5-6 may be better than the 8 I've been doing. and get more out of them. unless I'm doing a 100 IM, I'll do as many as I can' to avoid actually swimming fly

the ugly:
* as I said earlier, I should not have lifted on Thursday. at around the 1000-1100m mark of my 1500 my chest started to feel like it was on fire.
* I just couldn't seem to get things going for my breaststroke. I felt like I was swimming in slow motion. need to do more breast....and fast, maybe 25s.
* I didn't quite recover from the 1500 on Friday night, then did the 400 free first thing Sat morning. it definitely wiped me out. I have no idea how people would go back for more on Sunday. I fell asleep around 10pm, but woke up around 4:30am and couldn't get back to sleep.

The full results, with all of the splits are posted here:
http://sidearmstats.com/tamu/swim/Gu...2017/index.htm

I have decided that I need to do more meets. I seem to go kicking and screaming, but once I'm there I have a good time. Hopefully there's a decent venue for the zone SCM meet this fall. perhaps even something local. and get over my pool snob bit. almost any pool is going to be better than my gym, Sendero, and community pools. and any is better than staying home.

Submit "Fri-Sat 0721-07222017:  USMS South Central Zone Meet" to Digg Submit "Fri-Sat 0721-07222017:  USMS South Central Zone Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "Fri-Sat 0721-07222017:  USMS South Central Zone Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "Fri-Sat 0721-07222017:  USMS South Central Zone Meet" to Google

Comments

I have decided that I need to do more meets. I seem to go kicking and screaming, but once I'm there I have a good time. Hopefully there's a decent venue for the zone SCM meet this fall. perhaps even something local. and get over my pool snob bit. almost any pool is going to be better than my gym, Sendero, and community pools. and any is better than staying home.
    Great! Meets are fun and I'll be they're even more fun in a temperature controlled environment vs. the hothouse ovens you used to experience racing in AZ.
    You splits weren't bad in the 1500. I like like how keep the odd 50 splits a second faster than the even 50s split. It seems that Texas always has good pools to race in. You probably shouldn't have lifted the day before this meet even though you didn't see this as a rested meet.