View RSS Feed

Swimming Through Jello

Don't Call it a Comeback + 9/10/17 Workout

Rate this Entry
by , September 12th, 2017 at 11:30 AM (75 Views)
OK, I guess it is a comeback. I swam through college (Missouri S&T '11), took a ~6 year break from the pool during which I ran a half marathon, picked up CrossFit and weightlifting, not to mention 20 pounds of bodyweight!

Recently, my finacee and I made a move to Crestwood, MO, and we happen to have a club with a Masters training group 5 minutes from our house. So, I decided to dip my foot back in. Registered for USMS, talked to the team and did my first official workout Monday. I signed up for a SCM meet 8 weeks out as a goalpost. I'll still be doing CrossFit 3-4 days a week, and I will swim 2 days a week for now.

Onto Day 1 of logging:
9/10/17 (8 weeks out from Ozark SCM Champs)

100 Fr/100 Bk/200 K/200 P warmup

4x50 K/Dr :60, 4x50 Dr/Bu :60 IMO

5x100 Fr 1:30 (held ~1:08)

4x50 K Board 1:05
6x50 Pull :50

100 Cooldown

2100m

//Tweaked my groin a bit breaststroke kick with the board. Will have to stretch that out and see how it feels. Not terrible for first day back, I suppose.

Submit "Don't Call it a Comeback + 9/10/17 Workout" to Digg Submit "Don't Call it a Comeback + 9/10/17 Workout" to del.icio.us Submit "Don't Call it a Comeback + 9/10/17 Workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "Don't Call it a Comeback + 9/10/17 Workout" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Welcome back to the pool. I made my first 'comeback' back in 2000 when I was 33, a decade after I had stopped swimming in college. What I've found over the ensuing years is that Master swimming is a series of 'comebacks' as I go through these cycles where I get in great shape, race fast and then have 'life' (sometimes, also, motivation) get in the way, ... and I start back over again. It's actually quite fun as I think I learn from each 'comeback' how to come back better the next time!
    Be careful with the groin pull. Those can really take a long time to heal. If you're still feeling any kind of twinge I'd suggest laying off breaststroke kick for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Be careful with the groin pull. Those can really take a long time to heal. If you're still feeling any kind of twinge I'd suggest laying off breaststroke kick for a while.
    I certainly will at that. It was a bit stiff this morning but really loosened up as I ran some. I don't think it was a pull, more just my body protesting a movement it wasn't used to.