View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

"No flip turns!"

Rate this Entry
by , September 18th, 2017 at 07:18 PM (524 Views)
I went for a 7 mile hike yesterday with Mr. Fort. Today, I swam at LA Fitness in Bridgeville. Midway through my workout, the lifeguard screamed at me (no joke, I was berated) for doing flip turns. Flip turns while I was swimming in a swimming pool ... Apparently, I was getting the pool deck wet. We can't have that in a pool, can we? I told her that I didn't feel obligated to stop doing flip turns, so she glared at me the rest of my workout and ranted to herself. Then I had a word with management on my way out. Crochety old lady! There is no pace clock there, so I just estimated intervals.

Swim/SCM/Solo @ LA Finess:

Warm up:

500 various

20 x 25 power kick @ :45
50 EZ

Main sets:

20 x 50
odds = 100ish pace (mix of free, back, breast and kick)
evens = EZ
100 EZ

2x
10 x 25 dolphin kick on back @ 100 pace, arms at side @ :45ish
100 EZ
10 x 25 flutter kick @ 100 pace, arms at side @ :45ish
100 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 2950

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really happy there was no pace clock there ... I'm sure my 100ish efforts don't correlate to my usual 100 pace times. Although I was swimming in SCM, so don't really know those times anyway. My fin free felt much better today, more efficient. Not unexpectedly, my legs were tired from treadmill work/walking. That stuff just does not mix well with swimming. But my shoulders/chest felt fine. My arm doesn't swell up anymore in the pool than it does on the treadmill with a raised heart rate, and even then it's only minimal.

Submit ""No flip turns!"" to Digg Submit ""No flip turns!"" to del.icio.us Submit ""No flip turns!"" to StumbleUpon Submit ""No flip turns!"" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

LAF pools are an absolute joke. the water temp is absurdly high. the real danger isn't a wet pool deck. it's overheating.
    Amazing! thought they might have objected cause of pool depth - ours is only 3' and you have to think on the turns when the water level is a bit low.

They told me ours was "Olympic" length - i doubted it was even 25 meters and measured it to be 75'. No pace clocks, back stroke flags or gutters.

They do a better job than the Y at keeping the temperature at something reasonable, but the chlorine level in the air was often messed up.
    One of the 24 Hour clubs I worked out at in AZ also had, "no flip turn," signs up in the pool area. No lifeguard, and I just ignored them. Never a word about it.
    The only thing I could suspect was that one side of the pool was shallow, I'm guessing 3' or so. But I've done them in less.

Glad to see that you're back swimming again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    LAF pools are an absolute joke. the water temp is absurdly high. the real danger isn't a wet pool deck. it's overheating.
    Gotta keep the slow moving noodlers happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Amazing! thought they might have objected cause of pool depth - ours is only 3' and you have to think on the turns when the water level is a bit low.

They told me ours was "Olympic" length - i doubted it was even 25 meters and measured it to be 75'. No pace clocks, back stroke flags or gutters.

They do a better job than the Y at keeping the temperature at something reasonable, but the chlorine level in the air was often messed up.
    Agree, the chlorine levels are awful! Mine is 3+ feet at each end too. They just not understand what "Olympic" length is; some false advertising there.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    One of the 24 Hour clubs I worked out at in AZ also had, "no flip turn," signs up in the pool area. No lifeguard, and I just ignored them. Never a word about it.
    The only thing I could suspect was that one side of the pool was shallow, I'm guessing 3' or so. But I've done them in less.

Glad to see that you're back swimming again!
    The only sign was "no diving." Yes, it's very shallow. And the pool deck was soaked on the end that I wasn't flipping in. It's really a shame there just aren't many places to swim in Pittsburgh ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    . It's really a shame there just aren't many places to swim in Pittsburgh ...
    Maybe you look at trading your LAF membership for one at the USC Rec Center. The pool is still warm, but it has a deep end, backstroke flags and a pace clock. The rec center also has a gym for your weight training needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk
    Maybe you look at trading your LAF membership for one at the USC Rec Center. The pool is still warm, but it has a deep end, backstroke flags and a pace clock. The rec center also has a gym for your weight training needs.
    I remember swimming there years ago and wasn't thrilled with it. I recall it was also very crowded. Idk ... Pittsburgh is hard if you're not an am swimmer.