View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Back from Vacation

Rate this Entry
Back in town after visiting my parents in the DC area. The weather was much cooler there than it has been here - about 15 degrees cooler and lower humidity. Got a couple of workouts in while I was gone.

Saturday
Ran my old 4 mile route near my parents house.

Sunday
Slept in despite the opportunity to go to an LC practice over in Bethesda. I rationalized that the air would be too cold for me and aggravate my asthma (Yeah, right. ). Instead, my husband and I opted to go walk that afternoon along the C & O Canal and do a little bit of the Billy Goat Trail. Overall, we walked about 4 miles.

Monday
Hit the pool at MLK Center during lap swim. Enjoyed doing the following 2600 yard workout:

Warm-up: 200 free, 200 fly kick, 200 back kick

2 x 300 free on 4:15 - focus on perfect technique

2 x 300 back on 4:30 - focus on perfect technique

4 x 100 fly - 3 rt/3lt/3 full on 1:45

1 x 300 hard flutter kick with fins

100 easy

Tuesday
Got back in town on Monday night. Hit pool and did a 3,300 workout. Lots of fin work and shooters. Had a hard time breathing because chlorine seemed off. Lifeguard told me that they have not vacumed the pool in 2 months and are out of the chemicals to measure chlorine levels. This is rather alarming - don't know if I want to swim in the pool until they get this problem fixed.

Hit weight room this afternoon and ran 2 miles while I was there. Here is the workout:

Bench press: 90 x 8, 95 x 6, 100 x 4
Lat hi row: 2 sets of 140 x 10
Triceps press: 2 sets of 40 x 10
Alt. Hammer Curls: 2 sets of 15 x 10

Ran 2 miles on treadmill

50 bicycle crunches
50 good morning darlings
2 sets of 25 crunches with 12 lb med ball
2 sets of 15 back extensions

Hip adductor: 2 sets of 150 x 10
Hip abductor: 2 sets of 130 x 10

Thoughts:
1. I miss the big city sometimes. Nice, clean, normal temperature pools to swim in nearby. Also, lots of masters groups to affiliate with and workout with.

2. I hate the traffic of the big city. My husband and I both have a 5 to 6 mile drive to work. It takes us no more than 10 to 15 minutes during rush hour. It takes more than twice that time if not three times that time in the DC area. I've gotten spoiled with the quick commute. I think I'd got nuts dealing with all the traffic if I lived in the DC area again.

3. Many more fit people around in DC. Too much BBQ and whiskey around here.

4. I feel lucky to live where I do, but am glad I can go visit my parents in DC.

Submit "Back from Vacation" to Digg Submit "Back from Vacation" to del.icio.us Submit "Back from Vacation" to StumbleUpon Submit "Back from Vacation" to Google

Updated June 30th, 2009 at 10:05 PM by elise526

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

When I went to American Univ years ago, I was able to keep my weight down after I quit college swimming because all the walking I had to do. Sometimes, I would have to do alot of walking just to get to a metro station. Once I moved to Philly and had to drive everywhere, I just packed on the pounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    When I went to American Univ years ago, I was able to keep my weight down after I quit college swimming because all the walking I had to do. Sometimes, I would have to do alot of walking just to get to a metro station. Once I moved to Philly and had to drive everywhere, I just packed on the pounds.
    Walking does seem to make a difference. It is always far underrated as a means to burn calories. It almost seems easier to live downtown in a big city rather than the burbs because at least you are within walking distance of the subway.

I feel for the people who live in big cities and don't work near a subway stop. I guess one can get used to it though. I had a law professor that drove an hour and a half each way. I guess music and books on tape can work wonders.