View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Albatross Meet

Rate this Entry
It's been a long blogging hiatus. I hit another detour in my comeback in late December and January (vacation and post vacation flu-ish thing) that kept me out of the water for quite awhile. But I've been training pretty regularly since mid-January. In the pool that is; I've not been moved to return to the gym because of a wee treadmill addiction. Anyhoo, I took myself off to the Albatross meet with about 6 weeks training under my belt and a mini taper. After a 1.5 year racing hiatus, I had major racing rust and of course was way off my PRs.

50 back SCM, 32.1

I had an uncharacteristically mediocre start, which lacked explosiveness. I had a good first length and decent turn. I was a little deep on my underwater on the second length. The main issue though was that I couldn't really feel my arms/they didn't want to move the last 10 yards. I had a major glide at the end because I just couldn't summon the energy to take another stroke. That cost me going a 31. Still, I am content with a 32 after the VTOS debacle and given my still closed veins. That time would have been #1 in the world last year in my age group.


50 free SCM, 29.5

I had a pretty good start (feet not together tho) and first length. I botched the turn a bit with a half stroke and extra breath. I tried the Lochte turn off the wall. It went decently, but again I was a little too deep. Then I just staggered to the wall again with arm fatigue. Since all the youngsters scratched, I ended up winning the Fastest Woman on the Water award.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Whew, it was good to survive my first meet back. I think it being SCM not SCY added a degree of difficulty for me. Aside from some limitations from the VTOS, I think my main problem in the pool right now is that I lack strength. I had a ton of muscle removed from my chest of course. But I'm also not getting as much DPK as before. So off to the gym I go! I plan to start in small 30 minute chunks.

Submit "Albatross Meet" to Digg Submit "Albatross Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "Albatross Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "Albatross Meet" to Google

Updated March 5th, 2018 at 02:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

  1. __steve__'s Avatar
    Great news that you’ve broke the hiatus spell, and decent swims considering a fresh restart. To me SCM sprinting is just as tough, if not more than, LC due to more things to not nail
    Updated March 5th, 2018 at 06:42 PM by __steve__
  2. aztimm's Avatar
    Great job in the swims! Hope you had fun visiting with friends at the meet also--that's half of what doing a meet is about.
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Great news that you’ve broke the hiatus spell, and decent swims considering a fresh restart. To me SCM sprinting is just as tough, if not more than, LC due to more things to not nail
    Thanks Steve. I'm trying to look at it as a fresh start. I hadn't thought of SCM that way, but maybe you're right. There's the extra distance, flags in a different place, bulkheads, etc. Hope all is well with you and your sprinting!
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Great job in the swims! Hope you had fun visiting with friends at the meet also--that's half of what doing a meet is about.
    I did have a great time with friends. I made the drive with Jimby, had a dinner with an old friend (Speedo), saw PV friends at the meet, and met a couple sprinter forumites who hadn't been to the meet before. Doug Martin, former blogger, broke two WRs.
  5. pwb's Avatar
    Leslie - It is SO GOOD to see you're back in the pool, racing and fully recovered (???) from all the health challenges. Your return to blogging has inspired me to get back in the blogging habit.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Leslie - It is SO GOOD to see you're back in the pool, racing and fully recovered (???) from all the health challenges. Your return to blogging has inspired me to get back in the blogging habit.
    Thanks Patrick. I am able to swim, but unfortunately there is no "full recovery" for me because three of my major veins are closed. Have you been regularly swimming?
  7. Sojerz's Avatar
    Good to see you are back in the pool and at a meet. Was hoping we weren't going to have to send "money, guns and lawyers" down to Central America and campaign to free Leslie.

    Seems a good showing for the first meet in a long time - under :30 50 scm


    In these dog days at the end of winter your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated!

    Take care.
  8. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks Patrick. I am able to swim, but unfortunately there is no "full recovery" for me because three of my major veins are closed.
    I should have termed this 'recovery enough to race,' which is remarkable progress, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Have you been regularly swimming?
    Yes and kind of. I was going really well through the end of January, but then February was an up and down affair. I should be back in the saddle by next week.
  9. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Good to see you are back in the pool and at a meet. Was hoping we weren't going to have to send "money, guns and lawyers" down to Central America and campaign to free Leslie.

    Seems a good showing for the first meet in a long time - under :30 50 scm


    In these dog days at the end of winter your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated!

    Take care.
    Can winter please be over?

    Thanks for the support Bill. I was sorry to read about your back; backs are such tricky things. Hope there is a reasonably easy fix.
  10. Karl_S's Avatar
    Can winter please be over?
    Take up skiing, snowshoeing, curling, ice-fishing, (well maybe not, that seems to be more about drinking beer than sports) ice-climbing, something that makes winter worth looking forward to. It's a little hard in PA though because winter isn't quite wintery enough for many of those activities,
  11. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Take up skiing, snowshoeing, curling, ice-fishing, (well maybe not, that seems to be more about drinking beer than sports) ice-climbing, something that makes winter worth looking forward to. It's a little hard in PA though because winter isn't quite wintery enough for many of those activities,
    Despite growing up in MN, I have no taste for winter sports! The only thing that makes winter tolerable is a winter vacation. When Lil Fort goes off to college, I will be planning more of those.
  12. rxleakem's Avatar
    Glad to see that you are back in the water, Fort.