View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Lucky 7 to Indy

Rate this Entry
by , March 11th, 2018 at 10:28 PM (84 Views)
After some great progress building back into my training over December and January, I hit some snags over the month of February.

On January 28th, I went down to Tucson and competed in the annual Polar Bear meet. I was actually quite happy with most of my swims - 50 fly (26.43), 50 back (29.18), 400 IM (4:32.17) and 500 free (5:12.76). The only time that was a tad disappointing was the 500, but I took it out too slow and negative split it (2:38/2:34+).

As solid as I felt during the meet, I woke up on the Monday after and could barely move - my lower back was in major pain, wracked with spasms. I barely swam the week of January 29th, mustering only 5,000 yards, but then felt better and had two good weeks (Feb 5th and 12th weeks), culminating in the Matt & Annie Grevers Meet in Mesa where I swam, in about 3 hours total, all of the IMs (1:00.8, 2:12.3, 4:34.3) and the 50 breast (31.9).

As if on cue - do a good meet, have some pain - I then suffered through two plus weeks of my head full of gunk, with much of it concentrated in my sinuses to the point where going any amount under water was painful. I managed 7,500 yards during the week of Feb 19th (as the stuff was starting), 4K during the week of Feb 26th and really only started to feel like my old self again this weekend, notching up a little less than 10K for the week.

We are 9 weeks away from Indianapolis Nationals, which means I have to somehow put in 7 weeks of consistent training so that I can do some semblance of a taper. I am 100% committed to being in Indy and put my entries in this weekend:
  • Friday
    • 400 IM
    • 100 fly

• Saturday
    • 100 free (6th event)
    • 200 fly

• Sunday
    • 50 fly
    • 200 IM

I figure with the above line-up, I can put some focus around my training, and swim many of my favorite events. I am really hoping that, by skipping the 500 on Sunday morning and keeping a lighter schedule, I can swim a decent 200 IM, something I haven't done at Nationals in a long time.

I'm ready to train and aiming to blog along with it. All roads lead to Indy!

Submit "Lucky 7 to Indy" to Digg Submit "Lucky 7 to Indy" to del.icio.us Submit "Lucky 7 to Indy" to StumbleUpon Submit "Lucky 7 to Indy" to Google

Comments

I'm excited for Indy! First real championship-type meet since college for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    I'm excited for Indy! First real championship-type meet since college for me.
    You're going to love it. Masters Nationals is always a great meet, but even better when it's in a truly top notch facility. For some reason or other, I've also managed to miss Masters Nationals when they are in Indy, but it's my favorite pool. I've trained there a fair amount, as my business travels from '94 to about 2010 had me going to Indy a few times a year, sometimes more. I was living in Chicago in '96 and drove down to Indy to watch Olympic Trials. However, I've only ever raced there once, in 1983, so it's been 35 years I've been waiting to race there again!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    You're going to love it. Masters Nationals is always a great meet, but even better when it's in a truly top notch facility. For some reason or other, I've also managed to miss Masters Nationals when they are in Indy, but it's my favorite pool. I've trained there a fair amount, as my business travels from '94 to about 2010 had me going to Indy a few times a year, sometimes more. I was living in Chicago in '96 and drove down to Indy to watch Olympic Trials. However, I've only ever raced there once, in 1983, so it's been 35 years I've been waiting to race there again!
    Last time I raced there was Zones when I was 14 I believe... Would have been 2003 I guess. I've heard they've done a lot of improvement since then. DII nationals were kind of hit and miss when I was there - new Mizzou pool freshman year and UHouston pool sophomore year were nice, Canton was a dump, San Antonio was OK but a bit cramped. I'm glad Nationals my first year of swimming Masters is so close (I'm in St. Louis), I'm not sure if I could swing going out to one of the coasts this year.

Also, I think/hope that my morning training group is going to have a pretty big continent making the trip, so that should add to the fun for us.

Plus, I get to do events I've never done tapered before (though what even is a taper off of 11k a week?) - my big goal is to see if I can break a minute in the 100 breast for the first time.