total ab machine, 130 x 1 x 15, 140 x 2 x 15
body rows, 4 x 15
back extensions w/25 lb weight, 3 x 15
incline crunches w/med ball, 2 x 25
bicycles on bosu, 3 x 25

external rotators, 10 x 4 x 15, each arm
prone scapular scrunches w/5 lb weights, 2 x 25
seated straight arm dips for RC, 60 x 2 x 25

(I'm sure I forgot something again. Can't remember a dang thing these days ...)

ART:

30 minutes focusing on the shoulders. As expected, my left shoulder was sore from all the freestyle last night.

Mike Heather posted this on a thread:

"I was given several exercises to do to strengthen the small back shoulder muscles which get very little attention in the weight room (or anywhere else until the shoulder hurts too much). But the coup de grace for my pain was changing my recovery thusly: after finishing the free stroke, no matter how much body roll you use, the palm of the recovering hand should face the water's surface. If you watch a practice, you will notice that many swimmers tend to finish their stroke and continue the motion of the hand, resulting in a twisting motion that has the back of the hand turned toward the water until it (the hand) reaches shoulder level, at which time it turns around to prepare for entry and the beginning of the next stroke."

I think I'm doing this with my left arm on freestyle. I need to take a lesson out of She Puff's book and shorten up my stroke and exit earlier when I'm not sprinting. Breathing on the left seems to help this somewhat.

Does anyone know specific exercises/weights to target the small back muscles? My lats in particular are frequently sore. I know the internal/external rotators are good for his, but is there anything else? May have to research this issue some.

Spin

40 minutes on indoor cycle. Went pretty easy, but still worked up a sweat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mini Fort reports that her swim friends at swim camp are doing a lot of running and squats. She didn't run at her camp, but then it didn't focus on conditioning. She did spend a lot of time using cords & racks.

I really miss running. As some girl experienced, it is flat out the best exercise for weight control. I'm going to re-start after Nationals. I used to run 2x a week pretty regularly. I've pretty much cut that out over the last 8 months except for the occasional short run. This apparently has a very good effect on my swimming, but nothing else.

Food:

Breakfast: blueberry muffin, blueberries
Snack: banana, balance bar,
Lunch: quiche, watermelon
Snack: G2, strawberry banana smoothie (no time for a real lunch)
Dinner: steak, shrimp, salad w/veggies

So far, I haven't really noticed any significant impact from my "healthy substitution" plan. I've been cheating slightly more lately due to busy-ness.

Submit "Wednesday, July 1" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, July 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, July 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, July 1" to Google

Updated July 1st, 2009 at 11:38 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cutting out the running has improved your swimming?
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Well, I'm not sure there's any direct correlation. My legs just seemed super fatigued when I was running more. They're already worked a ton from finning, kicking, squats, etc. I found that I swam better at meets when I knocked off running for three weeks in advance. When I swim more and go to the gym in lieu of running, I seem to swim faster. I've just had trouble combining all three. And I definitely don't have more time to exercise than I already do!
    It takes time to get back into freestyle if you don't do it everyday.
    It may not be a stroke flaw. It could be just a minor muscle imbalance.
    Squats! Did you tell minifort she would get a big ass if she did squats, so it is a good thing she got sidelined?

If/When you find new super cool RC exercises, please be sure to post them in a big bold letters in an actual blog post. I would hate to miss that comment. We just watched June Quick's Swimmer's Shoulder over the weekend, and I don't think that there was anything covered that is what you are looking for.

Your lats probably should be sore with your work load. If I trained as much as you do, I could probably swim back in time, I would be so fast
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    not to invade Fort's blog, but I also notice the impact running has on my swimming. When I just swam, cramps anywhere were a rarity, and usually resulting from doing something stupid. Now, especially when I run/swim same day, my legs feel like they're on the verge of cramping the whole set. I hate to admit it, but I do even notice a difference on Monday mornings after a long run on Sunday (15+ miles). The same day swims I treat as recovery, as swimming helps my legs recover faster.

I think my team is hosting a SCM meet in late Nov, that I MAY do. I'd have to really think of how to taper, so my swims benefit, without too much away from running, with a marathon in Jan.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    It takes time to get back into freestyle if you don't do it everyday.
    It may not be a stroke flaw. It could be just a minor muscle imbalance.
    I believe it! I think, other than pure sprinting, my freestyle could probably use an overhaul. Not sure, but I think my EVF could use improving and my coach told me I'm overreaching with the left arm on the exit. On the other hand, minor muscle imbalances seem to be the culprit in almost every minor and major injury ...
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Squats! Did you tell minifort she would get a big ass if she did squats, so it is a good thing she got sidelined?

If/When you find new super cool RC exercises, please be sure to post them in a big bold letters in an actual blog post. I would hate to miss that comment. We just watched June Quick's Swimmer's Shoulder over the weekend, and I don't think that there was anything covered that is what you are looking for.

Your lats probably should be sore with your work load. If I trained as much as you do, I could probably swim back in time, I would be so fast
    No, I would definitely avoid mention of that little fact!!! Mini can't do squats with her challenged knees. She's got weak hips/glutes.

My swim work load doesn't seem that much though, does it? Especially with all the kicking I do? I guess backstroke probably taxes the same lats/scapular area.

I need to watch my Buchberger video again to get more RC ideas. Is the Swimmer's Shoulder a DVD?
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    not to invade Fort's blog, but I also notice the impact running has on my swimming. When I just swam, cramps anywhere were a rarity, and usually resulting from doing something stupid. Now, especially when I run/swim same day, my legs feel like they're on the verge of cramping the whole set. I hate to admit it, but I do even notice a difference on Monday mornings after a long run on Sunday (15+ miles). The same day swims I treat as recovery, as swimming helps my legs recover faster.

I think my team is hosting a SCM meet in late Nov, that I MAY do. I'd have to really think of how to taper, so my swims benefit, without too much away from running, with a marathon in Jan.
    I agree, Tim. Running definitely leads to cramping in the pool. And I already use my legs to the max in the pool with the fins and the kicking. For awhile, I opted not to do any leg work in the gym. But I have this notion that the limited leg work that I've done the last few months has helped my turns. So, while training for Nats, I decided to stop the running. The only problem with starting up again in August is that it takes awhile to get your running legs back. Just doesn't happen over night ...
    Hi Fort! A couple of comments, for what they’re worth….

On the recovery, I would not be so concerned about “finishing” the stroke (especially when sprinting - you will finish where appropriate automatically). In sprinting it is far more important to search out more water out in front and not unintentionally go short to increase stroke rate (this is why sculling drills in front are good – get a fast firm grip on the water far out front). Just make sure your body stays as straight as a pencil and does not ‘squirrel’, your elbows don’t drop and your arms/hands don’t cross in front (stay shoulder width).

I don’t know if you are a straight arm, swinging arm recoverer? My coach does not like a straight arm recovery for those with touchy shoulders. He prefers that you sort of ‘punch’ the hands forward fast after recovery – this action has a lower moment of inertia and easier is on the shoulder (he says).

For small muscles all over the back (don’t know how specifically ‘shoulder back’ they are), I have found “Flys” good. Not being particularly strong and trying to be careful, I use 15 lbs in each hand.

I don’t use pull buoys either but use fins in freestyle quite selectively (i.e. not always) It used to be for ‘race pace’ sets or ankle flexibility (kick sets) but I got put onto fins for some warm-downs, which is quite good. At the end of a practice, when tired, the fins help you keep your body position and allow you to stretch out, feeling not as beat up as you might otherwise feel when you leave.
    Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Smith
    Hi Fort! A couple of comments, for what they’re worth….

On the recovery, I would not be so concerned about “finishing” the stroke (especially when sprinting - you will finish where appropriate automatically). In sprinting it is far more important to search out more water out in front and not unintentionally go short to increase stroke rate (this is why sculling drills in front are good – get a fast firm grip on the water far out front). Just make sure your body stays as straight as a pencil and does not ‘squirrel’, your elbows don’t drop and your arms/hands don’t cross in front (stay shoulder width).

I don’t know if you are a straight arm, swinging arm recoverer? My coach does not like a straight arm recovery for those with touchy shoulders. He prefers that you sort of ‘punch’ the hands forward fast after recovery – this action has a lower moment of inertia and easier is on the shoulder (he says).

For small muscles all over the back (don’t know how specifically ‘shoulder back’ they are), I have found “Flys” good. Not being particularly strong and trying to be careful, I use 15 lbs in each hand.

I don’t use pull buoys either but use fins in freestyle quite selectively (i.e. not always) It used to be for ‘race pace’ sets or ankle flexibility (kick sets) but I got put onto fins for some warm-downs, which is quite good. At the end of a practice, when tired, the fins help you keep your body position and allow you to stretch out, feeling not as beat up as you might otherwise feel when you leave.
    Ian
    Thanks Ian!

I meant shortening my stroke at the finish, not in front. And I need to work on keeping my left arm more at shoulder width. Apparently, even though I think I'm doing this, I'm not. I'm glad my coach finally mentioned this flaw.

I am a straight arm freestyler. I'm sure this does put more strain on the shoulder. That's why I try to modify my freestyle somewhat for distances over a 100 in practice, limit the amount of freestyle I do, and use fins liberally (not selectively, lol). When you're tired, fins do make a huge difference. I fear they may annoy some, but I care not as I am only concerned about shoulder health.

I will add in some more flys. I did some rear delt flys on a machine the other day, as I was thinking this exercise would help. Probably best to do them with DBs.

Do you do anything special to work on EVF? Have you tried the EVF paddes? Is it your impression that working on EVF can also strain the shoulders? I seem to recall reading that on the forum.
    Re: EVF……..haven’t bothered to seriously study the theory or tried to implement. My excuse is that my current stroke was capable of so much faster once upon a time and it’s just old age and frailty getting in the way of returning to those speeds. Anytime I try playing with my pull, tennis elbow seems to be the result. This old dog is avoiding new tricks (except that I swim much flatter than I used to, which helps a lot in the 100 – my long distance)

The big change for me this year was in set structure (new coach). I noticed you had separate “main” and “speed” sets. We now do speed reps with target swims scattered throughout a bigger ‘main’ set – keeps you sharp and fitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Smith
    Re: EVF……..haven’t bothered to seriously study the theory or tried to implement. My excuse is that my current stroke was capable of so much faster once upon a time and it’s just old age and frailty getting in the way of returning to those speeds. Anytime I try playing with my pull, tennis elbow seems to be the result. This old dog is avoiding new tricks (except that I swim much flatter than I used to, which helps a lot in the 100 – my long distance)

The big change for me this year was in set structure (new coach). I noticed you had separate “main” and “speed” sets. We now do speed reps with target swims scattered throughout a bigger ‘main’ set – keeps you sharp and fitter.
    Yes, I fully understand ... that's why I haven't studied EVF much either. Do I not recall that you play squash, not tennis? I see why you avoid my beloved backstroke ...

Are you planning a LC taper meet, BTW?

The separation of main (aerobic) and speed sets are common at our coached practices, though, on occasion, they're mixed. But I may be the only pure sprinter on our team. When I swim solo, I do tend to mix speed with aerobic/recovery work. I do this intuitively or by preference though. Why do you think it makes us sprinters "sharp and fitter"?
    Updated July 2nd, 2009 at 09:37 AM by The Fortress
    I object to the ass-ism I am seeing on this blog. Having a big ass, when it is muscular, is awesome. Makes your clothes hang nice, gives you some shape. Frankly, Fort, I am appalled.

So far running seems to be helping my swimming, though I will likely drop it sometime around December as we gear up for the March and May meets. It has definitely made my kick faster and I am a little faster in practice, though it is hard to tell what is from working on my strokes, what is from having less weight to haul around, and what is having stronger legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by some_girl
    I object to the ass-ism I am seeing on this blog. Having a big ass, when it is muscular, is awesome. Makes your clothes hang nice, gives you some shape. Frankly, Fort, I am appalled.

So far running seems to be helping my swimming, though I will likely drop it sometime around December as we gear up for the March and May meets. It has definitely made my kick faster and I am a little faster in practice, though it is hard to tell what is from working on my strokes, what is from having less weight to haul around, and what is having stronger legs.
    Stud started the ass-ism! And I've decided to ignore ass-ism issues, as I've been diligently squatting for a few months now at the urging of Jazz and Q. I believe Q said I would be able to bounce a frisbee off my new ass? Verdict is still out on that.

I've read that others have had success doing both running and swimming. Vlad P. for instance. Age may have something to do with it ... (Now, I'm engaging in age-ism.) I'm sure it gives you stronger legs and being 20 pounds lighter is pure performance enhancement, especially if you're eating right. I just have trouble doing the triad of swimming, running and lifting. (Tim does it, but he avoids most meets. :P:P) I may start up again after Nats. I just hate that it takes awhile to get in running shape. How long did it take your to get over the plods and feel sprightly during your 10 week program?
    Updated July 2nd, 2009 at 10:30 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    No, I would definitely avoid mention of that little fact!!! Mini can't do squats with her challenged knees. She's got weak hips/glutes.
    I forgot about her knees and I was just making fun of some British comedian...

My swim work load doesn't seem that much though, does it? Especially with all the kicking I do? I guess backstroke probably taxes the same lats/scapular area.
    Volume in yardage is low, but you do a high percentage of sprints. And really, your yardage isn't that low. All the stroke hammer the lats.

I need to watch my Buchberger video again to get more RC ideas. Is the Swimmer's Shoulder a DVD?
    Yep. It is this one.
    Volume in yardage is low, but you do a high percentage of sprints. And really, your yardage isn't that low.

Yep. It is this one.
    My yardage used to be lower. In the last year or so, I've increased it and gone from swimming 4x a week to 5x a week. So I'm not really in the 10,000 range I used to be in. Still, compared to some out there ...

Thanks for the link. Championship Production makes a lot of good videos. I had a friend recommend the starts and turns video as well.
    I believe Q said I would be able to bounce a frisbee off my new ass? Verdict is still out on that.
    Uh.... A quarter. I find it highly unlikely that your ass will ever be big enough for frisbee bouncing.

Funny Story

Q: I bet I could bounce a quarter off that ass.
    Wife: Try it!
    Q: I have a nickle.
    Q snaps nickle at target. It bounced!
    Wife: OUCH! YOU ****ER, that hurt!

My wife might advise you not to test your new found tautness.
    Uh.... A quarter. I find it highly unlikely that your ass will ever be big enough for frisbee bouncing.

Funny Story

Q: I bet I could bounce a quarter off that ass.
    Wife: Try it!
    Q: I have a nickle.
    Q snaps nickle at target. It bounced!
    Wife: OUCH! YOU ****ER, that hurt!

My wife might advise you not to test your new found tautness.
    Poor wifey! You probably deserved the ******. But at least she passed the bounce test and can join the Taut Ass Club now.

No doubt some girl is a member too.
    Poor wifey! You probably deserved the ******.
    Probably?
    Probably?
    Isn't she used to you and your antics by now though?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast