View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

First LCM Practice in 2 years, Wed, May 20

Rate this Entry
Monday and Tuesday I was on the treadmill for many miles. I went to Pitt last night and it was long course. Long course! At my check up last week, my doctor mentioned that I should try wearing compression sleeves during practice to help with venous return/arm fatigue. I wore some last night and I think they might have helped. So I invested in a pair of swimmer compression sleeves by A3 to try. Anyway, I did much better in this practice than I would have expected.

Swim/LCM @ Pitt

Warm up:

400 various
8 x 50 kick, no fins @ 1:10
-- holy cow, this felt long and never ending ...
8 x 50 @ 1:10
odds = fly drill
evens = breast drill

Main sets:

8 x 100 @ 2:00
odds = 25 fast fly + 50 choice + 25 fast fly
evens = 25 fast breast + 50 choice + 25 fast breast
-- I did either free or back kick on the choice, although I did a three of them with a full 50 fly on the first 50
100 EZ (I took a masters minute)

10 rounds w/fins:
1 x 50 fast @ 1:10
odds = fly (100 pace) even = breast (around 95%)
1 x 100 EZ @ 2:20 (I did all 50s here, just turned around in the pool midway to allow time for a masters minute)

Total: 3000 m

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made it through quite a few 50 flys with fins, despite that requiring a ton of actual swimming with my arms. My 50 breasts were surprisingly fast for me too, clocking in at 32-33. I was pretty bushed later and slept like a baby.

Submit "First LCM Practice in 2 years, Wed, May 20" to Digg Submit "First LCM Practice in 2 years, Wed, May 20" to del.icio.us Submit "First LCM Practice in 2 years, Wed, May 20" to StumbleUpon Submit "First LCM Practice in 2 years, Wed, May 20" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Ah long course season - think our pool will be flipped for tomorrow too. First practice always seems like an OW swim. But IMO the transition back to short course is weirder yet, seems like you are in video game with someone dropping walls in front of you.

Glad the compression sleeve seems to help - I've used one for calf pulls when running and it did seem to help recovery. keep it up, Leslie.

And 32-33 br is crazy good lcm even with fins.
    LCM...

8 x 50 kick, no fins @ 1:10
    -- holy cow, this felt long and never ending ...
    Kicking long course is miserable. Sometimes a 50 seems so interminable that I have to look over my shoulder at the lane rope to verify that I am indeed actually moving. Kudos for hanging in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Ah long course season - think our pool will be flipped for tomorrow too. First practice always seems like an OW swim. But IMO the transition back to short course is weirder yet, seems like you are in video game with someone dropping walls in front of you.

Glad the compression sleeve seems to help - I've used one for calf pulls when running and it did seem to help recovery. keep it up, Leslie.

And 32-33 br is crazy good lcm even with fins.
    Yeah, long course and short course are so different ...

I'll see how I like the A3 sleeves that I ordered ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Kicking long course is miserable. Sometimes a 50 seems so interminable that I have to look over my shoulder at the lane rope to verify that I am indeed actually moving. Kudos for hanging in there.
    I like to kick, but I have to confess that I pulled on the lane line a time or two -- and I never do that!