View RSS Feed

Swimming Through Jello

5/11-5/13/18 Nationals!

Rate this Entry
Very long but very fun weekend! I think, given all the circumstances (8 months back in the water after 6 years off, training on average 3 days a week for an hour a pop, with adult responsibilities instead of being in school) this was probably a top 3 meet for me performance-wise - and I score some points for St Louis Area Masters, to help us to an 8th place finish on the weekend! Indy was awesome as usual, Indy Aquatic Masters ran one heck of a meet for having nearly 2400 people competing - I don't think they were ever more than about 20 minutes behind the schedule, and Sunday we ended 15 minutes early!

Here's my recap:

Did my 1400 general meet warmup every morning (300 sw, 200 k, 8x50 k/dr dr/sw, 3x100 aerobic, 200 easy); then about a 400 specific warmup before each race and 200-300 warmdown after.

Friday

200 Free - 1:47.45 (24.51/26.99/27.72/28.23) 17th place - Don't have to look too far to see the piano that landed on my back the back half! Not a great start to the meet but I hadn't really been training 200s too seriously.

50 Breast - 27.42, 12th place - A bit frantic/spinning my wheels. A best time (at the time) though.

Mixed 200 Free Relay - Anchor leg 21.29 split, 8th place - Very close to a best time split, mistimed the turn and breath just a bit.

Mixed 200 Medley Relay - Leadoff 24.41 back split, 20th place - Second-best 50 back ever. Nailed the start. We had a 55 and 59 year old as our women on this relay so that's why we finished a little down.

Saturday

Didn't swim 'til about 5pm so had the morning to relax, had a good breakfast and lunch and stretched.

100 IM - 52.95 (24.37/28.58), 9th place - Finally scored points! I was really just hoping to break 54 on the day and I 1-upped my goal. Much better back half than I expected.

Men 200 Medley Relay - 26.11 breast split, 6th place - 1.3 seconds faster than my flat start *what*? Felt awesome from the start all the way in.

Sunday

100 Breast - 57.87 (27.16/30.71), 7th place - Went into this meet (indeed, into the yards season) with really my only goal to break a minute in the 100 breast. Well, I did that here and even went a best time in the 50 to boot! I will take this opportunity to brag that my walls and pullouts were killer... they made that race. I think it was Allen Stark on the forums gave me the advice to change the timing of my dolphin kick and it made all the difference.

200 Free Relay - Anchor leg 20.85 split, 6th place - This was a fun relay, I think our best of the weekend from the whole club. I was .4 faster than the mixed relay and that was my first time under 21! I fixed my turn and actually didn't breathe at all the 2nd 25.

200 Back - 1:57.23 (26.63/29.33/30.85/30.42), 6th place - I think I was just a bit out a gas for this one. I hit all my goals for the weekend so this swim was kind of a bonus and I don't think I quite got up as much for it. I will say it was probably more painful than any 1:49 200 backs I did in college! Gotta get some more longer kick sets in training I think.

Submit "5/11-5/13/18 Nationals!" to Digg Submit "5/11-5/13/18 Nationals!" to del.icio.us Submit "5/11-5/13/18 Nationals!" to StumbleUpon Submit "5/11-5/13/18 Nationals!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great times man! I got to the meet and completely forgot to find you, lol. You had a heck of a meet in general, not to mention only being back for a short span. The younger age groups seemed more stacked than I remember them being in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdanner
    Great times man! I got to the meet and completely forgot to find you, lol. You had a heck of a meet in general, not to mention only being back for a short span. The younger age groups seemed more stacked than I remember them being in the past.
    Thank you sir! You had a good meet too! I watched most of your races, but between there being 2400 people there and everybody looking different in a cap and goggles than otherwise, I didn't really know how to go about finding you or any other forum denizens or random people I knew from the small world of swimming.