View RSS Feed

Calvin S

Sunday 7/8/18

Rate this Entry
AM + PM LCM @ UALR "Mary Grace Tucker Memorial Invitational Day #3"

400 swim (100 FR/100 BK)
3x100 @ :15 rest k/sw/dr/bld
4x50 @ :55 D1-2 in pairs (:34, :34, :31, :32)
100 EZ

200 FR - 2:13.14 (1:03.07/1:10.07) - Not a great race. Felt too rushed on the first 75 meters. I also blew out my LZR jammer about 10 minutes before the race, so I did this event and the 400 FR in my Nike brief.

500 EZ

**Intermission**
The 400 FR had its own separate session at 1:00 pm today. I met up with my family for breakfast after the 200 FR and then went back to the pool to stretch and warm up again for the 400.

200 swim
4x50 @ :10 rest
odd: k/dr
even: dr/bld

2x50 @ 1:00 @ 400 PACE
200 SMOOTH focusing on good strong kick outs and break outs.

400 FR - 4:39.92 - (31.5/34.8/35.6/35.8/35.9/35.2/36.2/34.6) - While it didn't feel as great as the 800 on Friday (nothing else felt as good as that all weekend!), I was pleasantly surprised by how well the race went. I wanted to definitely be under 4:40 since I was out in 4:40 in my 800, but given the way my 200 felt this morning, I was a little apprehensive going into the race. If the 800 was my hardest event I did all weekend, today was easily the hardest day. Racing a 200/400 FR double in what was basically one elongated session, and the final day of the meet, was very taxing. If I could do it all over again I might have bagged the 200 FR to be more rested for the 400, but whatever, a lifetime best is still a lifetime best!

Total: 2800

SHOUT OUT: Trip Strauss, who came to watch Marvin Schwartz (and maybe me?) swim the 400. He was gracious enough to be my backup timer as well. I wish you could have been racing the event with me, Trip

Submit "Sunday 7/8/18" to Digg Submit "Sunday 7/8/18" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday 7/8/18" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday 7/8/18" to Google

Updated July 9th, 2018 at 11:44 PM by Calvin S

Categories
Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events , USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Comments

What happened to you doing breaststroke events? I could have sworn you were a breaststroker the summer I was down in Little Rock. Good swims this weekend regardless!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    What happened to you doing breaststroke events? I could have sworn you were a breaststroker the summer I was down in Little Rock. Good swims this weekend regardless!
    Well once I killed the white whale that was breaking 1:00 SCY, I sort of accomplished everything I wanted to with breaststroke. That and my groin, despite constantly rehabbing it and strengthening it, just canít handle any sort of breaststroke training. Also leaves my knees sore, and my ice maker canít keep up wth having to ice both shoulders AND knees after a workout!

If you look back, I did the 100 back in early June, went 1:19. First LCM 100 BR in over 5 years. But even doing MAYBE 400-600 meters of breaststroke each day the week following caused my groin to almost pull when warming up the following week for another 100 BR. Iím just going to have to take it REALLY SLOW with my breaststroke and see how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Well once I killed the white whale that was breaking 1:00 SCY, I sort of accomplished everything I wanted to with breaststroke. That and my groin, despite constantly rehabbing it and strengthening it, just canít handle any sort of breaststroke training. Also leaves my knees sore, and my ice maker canít keep up wth having to ice both shoulders AND knees after a workout!

If you look back, I did the 100 back in early June, went 1:19. First LCM 100 BR in over 5 years. But even doing MAYBE 400-600 meters of breaststroke each day the week following caused my groin to almost pull when warming up the following week for another 100 BR. Iím just going to have to take it REALLY SLOW with my breaststroke and see how it goes.
    I gotcha. I've had a couple groin tweaks since I came back - nothing lingering though thankfully. I also don't swim a whole ton of breaststroke in practice, when I do breaststroke it's shorter race pace type stuff. My aerobic work is freestyle, backstroke and kick. The other variable is I probably don't have nearly the breaststroke kick mileage you do - I was an IMer through college but my other events were backstroke so I trained more of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    I gotcha. I've had a couple groin tweaks since I came back - nothing lingering though thankfully. I also don't swim a whole ton of breaststroke in practice, when I do breaststroke it's shorter race pace type stuff. My aerobic work is freestyle, backstroke and kick. The other variable is I probably don't have nearly the breaststroke kick mileage you do - I was an IMer through college but my other events were backstroke so I trained more of that.
    Agree on the breaststroke mileage point. I think I have been lucky with all the swimming I have done that my body is still in great shape. No serious joint issues. No surgeries to fix overworked appendages. However the one area that is not entirely the case is breaststroke, and I think my years and years of training it, especially the amount I did in college, has finally caught up to me to a degree. For me, racing breaststroke is a microcosm of racing swimming in general for me. If I canít train the way I want to/need to, itís not worth me trying to race in meets. If I canít train breaststroke (at the very least to keep my cadence and feel for the stroke), itís not worth me trying to race it in meets.