View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sat on my ass all day, Saturday, June 3

Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Although I have no desire whatsoever to be a so-called "weekend warrior," I felt compelled to sit on my ass all day to rest the sore hammies. Well, I did technically stand for 3 hours (and, sadly, was forced to issue a couple backstroke turn DQs), but I did not seek to exercise in any way, shape or form. I went to a movie (Public Enemies -- not very good), drank beer and ate pizza with friends and failed to stretch.

I was chatting with my sometime workout buddy Wally today at our local relay meet (he was exerting himself with a 25 breast). He informed me that we, in a lapse into the "it's just masters" mentality no doubt, had both missed the entry deadline for junior and senior champs. We were both sending out emails today to see if we could sneak into these meets.

As I was doing this, I received the following email from my coach about all the events in the area:

One local swim meet and lots of open water swims coming up. Feel free to enter:

July 19 - DCRP LCM Meet - (outdoors!) Hains Point -Washington DC -
http://www.swimdcrp.org/files/2009EntryForm.pdf (meetentries postmarked by July 10)

July 11 - Swim for Life (1,2,3,4, or 5 miles) - Chestertown
MD (hosted by DCAC) http://www.swimdcac.org/Swim4Life.html

Jul 11 Captain Craig 1 mile swim - Ocean City, MD
http://www.town.ocean-city.md.us/ocb...pplication.pdf
More info:
http://www.oceancity.com/events/eventdetail.php?id=2167

Jul 11 1-3 Mile Open Water Championships (2 miles) -
Canandaigua Lake, Canandaigua, NY
http://www.usms.org

Jul 11 Chris Greene Lake Cable Swim, Charlottesville VA -
http://www.vaswim.org/cgi-bin/calendar.cgi

Jul 11 Swim for the Dolphins Wildwood Crs, NJ
http://www.lmsports.com/

Jul 11 1st Annual East Hampton Ocean Rescue Ocean Swim -
$35.00 day-of
registration Registration begins at 7:00 A.M. at Kirk Park
beach (next
to IGA as one comes in to Montauk) Race time 8:00 A.M.
Distances 2 mile, 1 mile, 1/2 mile swimming west to east
along the
bluffs of Montauk and ending at Ditch Plains Beach Shirts,
caps provided
All proceeds are going to the Montauk Playhouse Foundation
and East
Hampton Ocean Rescue Questions...e-mail John Ryan @
kingjohn@optonline.net or call @ 631 324-2787

Jul 18 Ocean City Masters Swim Ocean City, NJ
http://www.lmsports.com/

Jul 18 Aquathlon: Stars & Stripes Swim 1.5 K / Run 5 K
Riverside Park Tune Up Swim 1.5 K New York NY
http://www.nycswim.org

Jul 18 Greenwich Point 1 mile Swim; Greenwich, CT
http://www.gscevents.org/htdocs/1m09entry.htm

Jul 25 Swim Barnegat 1 Mile Swim Barnegat, NJ
http://www.lmsports.com/

Aug 1 USMS 6+ Mile Open Water Championships (10 km) -
Little Traverse Bay, Lake Michigan, Harbor Springs, MI
http://www.usms.org

Aug 8 - 2 mile Island Beach Swim - Greenwich, VA
http://www.gscevents.org/htdocs/2m09entry.htm

Aug 9 Grimaldo's Mile - Coney Island, NY -
http://www.metroswim.org/entryforms/...leOWSevent.pdf

Aug 15 USMS 2009 2-Mile Cable Championships - Mirror Lake,
Lake Placid, NY
http://www.usms.org

Aug 15 Against the Tide 1 Mile Swim Brewster, MA
http://www.mbcc.org/swim/

Aug 15 Save the Bay 1.7 mile Swim Newport, RI
http://www.savebay.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=1085

Aug 16 Pennock Island Challenge 8 miles Ketchikan Alaska
http://www.alaskateamada.com

Oct 18 - Bermuda Round the Sound 10K, 7.25K, 4K, 2K, or .8K
Swim -
http://www.aquamoonadventures.com/page2.html

Aug 22 Clean Harbor Swim Gloucester MA
http://home.comcast.net/~clean.harbor.swim/index.htm

Sep 12 USMS 2009 3-6 Mile Open Water Championships (5 km) -
Lake Michigan, Chicago, IL
http://www.usms.org

Sep 12 Brooklyn Bridge Swim 1K New York NY
http://www.nycswim.org

Sep 12 Swim for Life - Provincetown MA
http://www.swim4life.org/

Sep 26 Little Red Lighthouse Swim 5.85 Mile New York NY
http://www.nycswim.org

Oct 18 - St. Croix 5 mile swim - St. Croix VI
http://www.swimrace.com/


Seems a tad bit lopsided, no? I guess, if I don't get into my preferred meet, I could attend Hains Point. I just am not a fan of this pool or swimming backstroke outdoors.

Someday, if I don't have a taper meet in the summer and am actually running more regularly (is that allowed for masters or did I just dream up the neurotic runners I know who wirelessly download their Garmin 405 workout stats?), I'd like to do the Stars & Stripes Aquathlon purely for fun. I guess this kind of low key fun is permissible, right?

Submit "Sat on my ass all day, Saturday, June 3" to Digg Submit "Sat on my ass all day, Saturday, June 3" to del.icio.us Submit "Sat on my ass all day, Saturday, June 3" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sat on my ass all day, Saturday, June 3" to Google

Updated July 4th, 2009 at 03:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    I think I've fallen asleep and must be dreaming...Fortress is advertising a bunch of OW races? And says she may do an Aquathon sometime in the future?

    Well, in an LMSC where Jeff Roddin can win an award for distance swimming, I guess anything is possible.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    I think I've fallen asleep and must be dreaming...Fortress is advertising a bunch of OW races? And says she may do an Aquathon sometime in the future?

    Well, in an LMSC where Jeff Roddin can win an award for distance swimming, I guess anything is possible.
    I did say the schedule was a tad bit lopsided!

    Hate to burst your bubble, but I've done one before.
  3. pwb's Avatar
    If you want to contemplate OW, at least come out west and attempt a simple mile where you might win cold hard cash and a tech suit -- http://www.portlandmile.com/
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    If you want to contemplate OW, at least come out west and attempt a simple mile where you might win cold hard cash and a tech suit -- http://www.portlandmile.com/
    Ahem, I have OW scheduled for Sept. Special favor to hubby and friend.

    I hope you had a fabulous vacation!
  5. chaos's Avatar
    all on my hit list......... what event are you doing in sept? little red is a great swim...(curent assist makes it more like a 5k than 5.85 miles)


    Jul 11 1-3 Mile Open Water Championships (2 miles) -
    Canandaigua Lake, Canandaigua, NY
    http://www.usms.org


    Aug 8 - 2 mile Island Beach Swim - Greenwich, VA
    http://www.gscevents.org/htdocs/2m09entry.htm

    Aug 9 Grimaldo's Mile - Coney Island, NY -
    http://www.metroswim.org/entryforms/...leOWSevent.pdf

    Aug 15 USMS 2009 2-Mile Cable Championships - Mirror Lake,
    Lake Placid, NY
    http://www.usms.org




    Sep 26 Little Red Lighthouse Swim 5.85 Mile New York NY
    http://www.nycswim.org
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos
    all on my hit list......... what event are you doing in sept? little red is a great swim...(curent assist makes it more like a 5k than 5.85 miles)


    Jul 11 1-3 Mile Open Water Championships (2 miles) -
    Canandaigua Lake, Canandaigua, NY
    http://www.usms.org


    Aug 8 - 2 mile Island Beach Swim - Greenwich, VA
    http://www.gscevents.org/htdocs/2m09entry.htm

    Aug 9 Grimaldo's Mile - Coney Island, NY -
    http://www.metroswim.org/entryforms/...leOWSevent.pdf

    Aug 15 USMS 2009 2-Mile Cable Championships - Mirror Lake,
    Lake Placid, NY
    http://www.usms.org




    Sep 26 Little Red Lighthouse Swim 5.85 Mile New York NY
    http://www.nycswim.org
    My coach doesn't even swim OW, but look how encouraging she is!

    I'm doing the Savageman Half Ironman relay in Deep Creek.
  7. qbrain's Avatar
    There are a several OW swims I would like to do at some point.

    Around the Sound
    St. Croix 5 mile
    Maui Channel
    Rough Water

    See a pattern? Maybe you should consider OW swimming a little more since the husband is already a go? I would be amazed if the Rough Water wasn't on his todo list.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    There are a several OW swims I would like to do at some point.

    Around the Sound
    St. Croix 5 mile
    Maui Channel
    Rough Water

    See a pattern? Maybe you should consider OW swimming a little more since the husband is already a go? I would be amazed if the Rough Water wasn't on his todo list.
    Lovely pattern!

    Hubby does not do OW. He is a remedial swimmer. He only bikes and runs. For some reason, he wants to do Savageman (and its vicious bike leg) for his birthday. Who am I to stand in the way of a masochist?

    One season years ago, my entire team went to LC Nats in Hawaii. Now that really would be nice. Kids wouldn't even complain about being dragged along there. There was a meet in Paris this year as well ...
  9. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Lovely pattern!

    Hubby does not do OW. He is a remedial swimmer. He only bikes and runs. For some reason, he wants to do Savageman (and its vicious bike leg) for his birthday. Who am I to stand in the way of a masochist?

    One season years ago, my entire team went to LC Nats in Hawaii. Now that really would be nice. Kids wouldn't even complain about being dragged along there. There was a meet in Paris this year as well ...
    Ah, my mistake, I thought Mr. Fort was a tri guy. So much for my sneaky plan.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Ah, my mistake, I thought Mr. Fort was a tri guy. So much for my sneaky plan.
    Nope, no tris. He's actually just a runner and former rower. He has always been obsessed with the notion of cycling, however, and finally purchased a real road bike. He's so low tech, though, that I had to explain the need for a bike computer and force a Garmin 405 on him for his last b-day.

    That said, he'd love it if I were an OW swimmer b/c he loves the beach and body surfing and doesn't really understand the lure of the pool. But he does not begrudge me my meets and tech suits, so we're good!