View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Ugly, ugly, very ugly

Rate this Entry
by , July 6th, 2009 at 12:18 PM (160 Views)
In one of my daughters' more snarky books, there's a repeated scene where the other kids laugh at the main character's ponytail, chanting, "Ugly, ugly, very ugly." (Fear not, the main character gets her sweet revenge) If the other guys in my lane and Coach Laura were honest about my swimming this morning, that's what they would've chanted. Though I was painfully slow and the water temp was rumored to be at 87 (it was hot, but I think more like 84), it felt great to be back in the pool, with a goal in mind and a brand new pair of goggles enabling me to clearly see when I was about to be lapped by the lane leader. The workout in LCM:

• 1 x 500: warmup, swim-kick-pull-swim-kick
  • Main set #1: on 1:30/100 base (roughly)
    • 1 x 800: negative split
    • 1 x 400: 200 free easy - 200 IM hard
    • 1 x 400: negative split
    • 1 x 200: 100 free easy - 100 IM hard
    • 1 x 200: negative split
    • 1 x 100: easy

• Main set #2:
    • 1 x 400: negative split, pull
    • 1 x 200: 100 free easy - 100 IM hard
    • 1 x 200: negative split, pull
    • 1 x 100: easy

• 4 x 50: kick on 1:15, #1 12.5 fast / 37.5 easy, #2 25 fast / 25 easy, etc.
  • 1 x 100: warm down

TOTAL: 3,800 LCM

Commentary:

• The set written above is what was intended. On the two main sets, I just swam to get through them. No negative splitting or hard for me today.
  • Today is Decaf Day #2 and will likely be my hardest day given that I'm back to the office and doubly tired from getting up early and the swim. If I can make it through today, I should be able to handle the rest of the week.

Submit "Ugly, ugly, very ugly" to Digg Submit "Ugly, ugly, very ugly" to del.icio.us Submit "Ugly, ugly, very ugly" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ugly, ugly, very ugly" to Google

Updated July 7th, 2009 at 11:05 AM by pwb

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Are you doing the La Jolla Rough Water this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Are you doing the La Jolla Rough Water this year?
    Yes. Just the 1 mile this year (I did both last year). My entry's in (as are those for my 2 older daughters), hotel is booked and my wife is staying home happily with daughter #3 (they kind of baked in the sun last year watching the rest of us swim).

Will you be there?
    No, I don't think so. My plan is still to do Big Shoulders.
    Big Shoulders Rocks! I will look for you there knelson!
    I am swimming through the nationals and tapering for BS!
    I hope it's not freezing cold!
    I am sure that your "ugly,..." swimming is great swimming for the rest of us. You will probably be back in top form by tomorrow!