View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Wednesday 12192018 & hit 500 miles!

Rate this Entry
by , December 19th, 2018 at 08:17 PM (126 Views)
Wednesday AM solo swim @ Sendero Springs

arrived and the lifeguards told me that there had been a problem with the natural gas at the facility. no hot water (or heat) in the locker rooms, and they said the pool water temp was 78. some guys who were there before me were already leaving. I figured that I've swum in far colder water, so 78 shouldn't be a big deal.

I think it might have been about 76. certainly still doable, but I didn't want to linger too long between sets.

1200 w/u, mixed in a bit of breast and back (plus with the cool water I just felt i needed a longer set)

100 kick w/fins + board
75 easy swim w/fins
25 fast fly (w/fins)
2 x 125, done as 25 drill/25 free/25 back/25 free/25 drill
25 easy swim w/fins
25 fast fly w/fins
100 kick w/fins + board
75 easy swim w/fins
25 fast fly (w/fins)

100 easy

500 @ 8:00, done 75 free/25 breast
500 @ 7:30, done 75 moderate/25 fast
500 @ 8:00, done 75 free/25 breast

100 easy

5 x 200 @ 2:55, w/Agility paddles + buoy

300 w/d

TTL: 4900 yards
(yea I thought about another 100 to make it an even 5000, but then thought that would just be silly)

After my swim last Wednesday (which was cut short, since the lifeguards said the chlorine level was too high), I hit 500+ miles on my GTD. First time in about 4-5 years I think. I had been hitting it regularly, but then life got in the way.
Here is my monthly breakdown:

And here is my pool list for 2018:
1. Sendero Springs Pool, Round Rock, TX
2. 24 Hour Fitness Pool, Round Rock, TX
3. YMCA of Central Texas, Round Rock, TX
4. Creekside Pool, Round Rock, TX
5. Georgetown Parks & Recreation, Georgetown, TX
6. Deep Eddy Pool, Austin, TX
7. Barton Springs Pool (I use the term, "pool," loosely), Austin, TX
8. Pickney Recreation Area, Hell, MI (for Swim to the Moon)
9. Pool at the Conrad Singapore
10. Open water at Dewata Beach, near Galle, Sri Lanka (Indian Ocean)
11. Melbourne City Baths, Melbourne Australia
12. Brunswick Baths, Brunswick Australia (about a 20 min tram ride from Melbourne)
13. Tobruk Memorial Pool, Cairns Australia
14. Cairns Esplanade Lagoon, Cairns Australia
15. Open water at the Great Barrier Reef, off the coast of Cairns Australia (Pacific Ocean)
16. Andrew Boy Charlton Pool, Sydney Australia
17. North Sydney Olympic Pool, North Sydney Australia
18. Bondi Icebergs, Sydney Australia
19. Xinghai Swimming Complex, Suzhou China
and
20. How could I forget my neighborhood pool? Highlands at Mayfield Ranch swim center. About a 5 minute walk from home.

probably the 2 most iconic pools I swam in this year were North Sydney and Bondi #17[/URL] & [/URL]:

I'm signed up for the first and last legs of the SCAR swim in April 2019, so that will kick my swimming into gear early in the year. Saguaro is about 10 miles, and Roosevelt is just a 10k.
USMS Nationals will be in Mesa at the same time, and I'm toying with the idea of swimming some events. More likely, I'll just volunteer to help out for a few hours (after swimming 10 miles, I just can't imagine racing 100 yards ).
If anyone will be going to nationals, give me a shout. I swam with the masters team at Kino for about 6-7 years so I know the pool quite well.
When I upped my distance to train for Swim to the Moon (10k) this past summer, I dropped about 5-10 pounds (not sure I want to drop more for SCAR as those lakes are a bit cooler).

Submit "Wednesday 12192018 & hit 500 miles!" to Digg Submit "Wednesday 12192018 & hit 500 miles!" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday 12192018 & hit 500 miles!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday 12192018 & hit 500 miles!" to Google

Updated December 20th, 2018 at 11:00 AM by aztimm

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning

Comments

Wow, two 100k months.
    I bet you are in seriously good shape these days.
    Here's to your continued success next year!
    I'm planning on being in Mesa for Nationals - you should swim some events, it'll be fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Wow, two 100k months.
    I bet you are in seriously good shape these days.
    Here's to your continued success next year!
    I've been doing more distance and haven't really pushed too much speed lately... But I can knock out a 5k without too much trouble. Not sure if that's a good thing though.

I'm thinking of just doing the 5k near Hazleton, PA next summer. You should come up and swim it too. Tom did it a few times and liked it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    I'm planning on being in Mesa for Nationals - you should swim some events, it'll be fun!
    I'll make you a deal, you swim the R of SCAR with me, just a 10k, and I'll swim the 500 free. Sounds fair to me.
    Congratulations on making it to 500. You beat me by a week or so. Iím at 486.5!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Congratulations on making it to 500. You beat me by a week or so. Iím at 486.5!
    Thanks!

With all your training and swimming doubles, I figured you were at least at 600 miles by now!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I'll make you a deal, you swim the R of SCAR with me, just a 10k, and I'll swim the 500 free. Sounds fair to me.
    Ha! I don't swim 10k a week, much less in one continuous swim! I guess you got me there. I'm a sprinter now...
    Thanks!

With all your training and swimming doubles, I figured you were at least at 600 miles by now!
    Well my January total was ZERO. I started my comeback in February, and spent the first 6-7 weeks doing about 3000/week.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Ha! I don't swim 10k a week, much less in one continuous swim! I guess you got me there. I'm a sprinter now...
    I'll check out the schedule (is it out yet?) for Thursday and Friday and see what it looks like. I was planning to work those days, but one of the offices I can use is about 10 minutes from Kino, so I could easily slip away for an hour or so and do a swim. Roosevelt is a night swim, so in theory I could swim Saturday morning...but not sure I'd want to do that.

I'm definitely not a sprinter. About 7-8 years ago, I was trying to get my 100 yard free under a minute. My fastest was about 1:00.2, but I'm not nearly in that shape today. I'd be lucky to be under 1:03 (I did a timed 100 LCM free from a push in Sydney in October at the end of a workout in 1:18).
    I probably have better chances with breaststroke, and those events usually aren't as busy as freestyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Well my January total was ZERO. I started my comeback in February, and spent the first 6-7 weeks doing about 3000/week.
    I'd swear I've seen you posting here for years... Obviously I was wrong. Well welcome back, and it sounds like it is sticking.

Keep swimming and go for the 500!
    I used to like it when we got a free suit It wasn't anything special, just a Nike brief or jammer (we got to select either brief or jammer, size, and color), but at least it was something.
    I'd swear I've seen you posting here for years... Obviously I was wrong. Well welcome back, and it sounds like it is sticking.

Keep swimming and go for the 500!
    I used to like it when we got a free suit It wasn't anything special, just a Nike brief or jammer (we got to select either brief or jammer, size, and color), but at least it was something.
    I never got my suit last time :,(

And I did post for several years here and then I went into a mini retirement. Had two kids and took about 3 years off where I focused on soccer and running (sports I sacrificed to pursue a swimming career). After two false starts I really started back in February (and started posting workouts again in April).
    Updated December 24th, 2018 at 12:17 PM by Calvin S