View RSS Feed

flippergirl

I told myself that if I can do a 5k in the LCM pool....

Rate this Entry
I will do the ED Gaw Amelia Island, Fla openwater swim July 18th. I planned that today was the day, but if I was to achieve my goal I would have to pace myself, period.

I decided to set swim at 9:25 AM...just make the k's and not care too much about time. I did notice however that my first few 100 meters were under 2:00 minutes and I was only warming up. I glanced at the clock ocassionally, but the metrnome in my mind was on the laps.

I swam elongated strokes, short strokes, breaths to one side or the other, but always freestyle... hand over hand. Sometimes my legs became the driving force as if I were doing a kick drill. At other times it was a pull drill. I used a of variety of tools I have learned over the past half a year to engage different muscles groups and give others a break.

My pace always felt similiar. It was important for me to see I could do the distance and feel what 5k is like so I know at least some of what I am getting into before I hit the ocean.

I looked up at the clock. It was 11:10 AM even.
I did the 5k in about 1:45. I am sure it will be different in the sea.

This is amazing to me. I never thought I could do it. When I started blogging six months ago I had no idea I would go from doing 1725 yards to 5000 meters. What is this powerful attachment between swimming and connecting with others through writing. Whatever it is, I hope to have the good graces to keep it up.

But the truth be known, I am a bit afraid of the Amelia Island swim.

Submit "I told myself that if I can do a 5k in the LCM pool...." to Digg Submit "I told myself that if I can do a 5k in the LCM pool...." to del.icio.us Submit "I told myself that if I can do a 5k in the LCM pool...." to StumbleUpon Submit "I told myself that if I can do a 5k in the LCM pool...." to Google

Updated July 7th, 2009 at 06:39 PM by flippergirl

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great swim! I am so proud that you completed it!
    Good luck with the Amelia Island swim
    Good job Flip! You will do great at Amelia Island.
    Be sure to relax; don't get caught up in the size of the sea just focus on stroking and breathing and take it as it comes!
    Have fun!
    I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. I am very very sore today. I am also afraid of sharks in the warm fla water. I didn't use to be until I read about attacks.