View RSS Feed

My non-workout blog and random thoughts

Back in the Saddle??

Rate this Entry
I'm headed to Hayward this weekend to swim in the Pac Masters LCM meet. I'm looking forward to seeing a ton of old friends (go Mud Sharks!) and hopefully swimming well. I still haven't been able to gain any weight back - no matter how much I eat - and I do love to cook (and eat). Perhaps I need to eat a lot of fast food (Supersize me??) But no way! I may have to just adapt to my current weight and body shape.

After the meet, I'm scheduled to give a talk at a conference at Stanford on testing unmanned and automomous systems. Basically, the assumption is that robots are going to become smarter (Kurzweil's When Things Start to Think?). Given the assumption, the question we address is how to create tests, enviroments and conditions to insure behaviors (the results of black box decision making) are consistent with human intentions.

Two weeks later, I'm back out to Palo Alto for the National Senior Games and looking forward to seeing another set of friends. The National Senior Games swimming competition is not as competitive as USMS, but it is a lot fun and there are other venues to watch - to see other senior athletes excelling in other sports is really, really cool.

Finally, I'm interested in corresponding with single, 45-55 female swimmers. I really love traveling to exotic locations for swim meets and it would be great to find a swimming companion who appreciates cultural activities (theatre, arts, opera), is educated, enjoys (organic) cooking, has good family relationships and likes my cat!

For 2010, I'd like to go to SCY NATs in Atlanta, perhaps Nanaimo, BC for Canadian nationals (and perhaps go exploring/ camping on Vancouver Island) and I would love to go to Puerto Rico for LCM Nats (perhaps Cuba will be open to American citizens -).

Submit "Back in the Saddle??" to Digg Submit "Back in the Saddle??" to del.icio.us Submit "Back in the Saddle??" to StumbleUpon Submit "Back in the Saddle??" to Google

Updated July 8th, 2009 at 12:45 PM by pdjang (small additions)

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I have a starting point for dealing with smarter robots.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

I hope that helps some.
    Stop by and see us Manatees while you are here. We scoped out the pool the past two weekends and it met my approval. Glad you are feeling better.
    Have a good swim(s), I would have been there, but didn't make the deadline
    Hi QBrain - You and Asimov!

I've proposed something similar for testing smarter robots.

Thanks for your suggestion and I hope to see you in the water sometime!
    P

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I have a starting point for dealing with smarter robots.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
    I hope that helps some.