View RSS Feed

Swimming Through Jello

3/18/19 Workout

Rate this Entry
by , March 18th, 2019 at 09:10 AM (305 Views)
Monday, 3/18/2019 Pool Workout

Didn't do much this weekend. A little hike and some yardwork. Woke up this morning pretty stiff, probably still getting used to CFing after a couple weeks off and also went to Topgolf Friday afternoon and I haven't golfed in awhile.

2x{300 fr 4:30, 200 p br 3/4/5/3 3:15, 100 k 2:10}

8x75 1:30 1-arm arm in front/1-arm arm at side/sw x 25
8x125 2:10 100 fr build/25 1-arm FAST

6x25 dr/sw ez 1:00

4xIMO {100 p br4 1:45
25 sprint :30
50 r/l :55
25 sprint :30}

200 warmdown

4100y

So, that workout doesn't look too bad, but 1-arm takes some effort to do correctly. I build up pretty well and really hit the legs on the sprint 25s. Also, I decided to start making sure I'm taking 3 dolphin kicks off every freestyle wall. I've been lazy during my Masters time (and really if I'm being honest, in college too) and only taking one big kick off the walls. I'm thinking this should help make it easier when I want to take 5 off every turn in the 100 or 3-4 in the 200.

Submit "3/18/19 Workout" to Digg Submit "3/18/19 Workout" to del.icio.us Submit "3/18/19 Workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "3/18/19 Workout" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. JSC910's Avatar
    Working on the same thing- committing to 3 kicks off the wall... every wall... as someone who swam distance in college and really just used her legs as ballast, this is super different. Hoping to find some ability to sprint because I have NO intention of swimming distance in masters. Keep it up and let me know if you find the secret to making the SDK off the wall a habit instead of a constant focus
  2. Calvin S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSC910
    Working on the same thing- committing to 3 kicks off the wall... every wall... as someone who swam distance in college and really just used her legs as ballast, this is super different. Hoping to find some ability to sprint because I have NO intention of swimming distance in masters. Keep it up and let me know if you find the secret to making the SDK off the wall a habit instead of a constant focus
    4/6/2 turns, every warm-up, then every "non-main set" set, then when you are swimming at full speed. That's how I fixed my walls!
  3. JPEnge's Avatar
    My walls in meets for 50/100s are fine - fl/bk I take 9 UDKs off the start (8 in fly if I'm tapered so I don't get too close to 15m :P ) and 7 off each turn, freestyle 7/5. But my walls are a lot more significant for me now than in college so if I want to stretch back up to the 200s eventually I'm going to have to stop being lazy at those distances. I probably need 5 per turn on a 200 back and 3-4 on a 200 free. Not going to think about 200 fly yet. Should be doable with a little attention.
  4. JSC910's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    My walls in meets for 50/100s are fine - fl/bk I take 9 UDKs off the start (8 in fly if I'm tapered so I don't get too close to 15m :P ) and 7 off each turn, freestyle 7/5. But my walls are a lot more significant for me now than in college so if I want to stretch back up to the 200s eventually I'm going to have to stop being lazy at those distances. I probably need 5 per turn on a 200 back and 3-4 on a 200 free. Not going to think about 200 fly yet. Should be doable with a little attention.
    Good for you for even considering 200's! As I've posted elsewhere I am just.... barely... getting back in shape after a long layoff. I emailed the meet registrar for Mesa last night to make 200FR my 6th event as I not remotely in shape for a 200!

    I do think in SCY and at the age I am now (36), walls, turns, starts etc are lower hanging fruit than simply being in insanely great shape and able to just muscle through.
  5. JSC910's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    4/6/2 turns, every warm-up, then every "non-main set" set, then when you are swimming at full speed. That's how I fixed my walls!
    This is a great! Thanks.
  6. JPEnge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSC910
    Good for you for even considering 200's! As I've posted elsewhere I am just.... barely... getting back in shape after a long layoff. I emailed the meet registrar for Mesa last night to make 200FR my 6th event as I not remotely in shape for a 200!

    I do think in SCY and at the age I am now (36), walls, turns, starts etc are lower hanging fruit than simply being in insanely great shape and able to just muscle through.
    Well, I was a 200 backstroker (and 400 IMer) in college, so... it's there somewhere. But I did the 200 free and 200 back at Masters Nats last year and I definitely landed a piano on my back the last 50 of both of those. Really have to work on strategizing since I have much more muscle to go into oxygen debt now than I did back then...
  7. JSC910's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Well, I was a 200 backstroker (and 400 IMer) in college, so... it's there somewhere. But I did the 200 free and 200 back at Masters Nats last year and I definitely landed a piano on my back the last 50 of both of those. Really have to work on strategizing since I have much more muscle to go into oxygen debt now than I did back then...
    I did 200/500/1000 FR and 200 BR in college. I'm trying to fashion myself into 100FR and 100IM... the thought of racing for more than a minute seems impossible! Maybe in 2020.
  8. JPEnge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSC910
    I did 200/500/1000 FR and 200 BR in college. I'm trying to fashion myself into 100FR and 100IM... the thought of racing for more than a minute seems impossible! Maybe in 2020.
    I tell the kids in the National group I train with occasionally that I'm still a 400 IMer, I just choose to swim all four hundreds seperately :P
  9. Karl_S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    4/6/2 turns, every warm-up, then every "non-main set" set, then when you are swimming at full speed. That's how I fixed my walls!
    What's a "4/6/2" turn?
  10. JPEnge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    What's a "4/6/2" turn?
    From what I understand - 4 dolphin kicks into 6 flutter kicks into 2 strokes before breath.