1 - 25 kick/25 drill
1 - 25 drill/25 build
1 - 25 FAST/25 EZ

5x50 25 FAST/25 EZ

50 EZ
2x25 DVIE FAST
50 EZ

(700 assorted warm up before 200 FL)

200 FL - 2:28.37 (31.5/36.00/37.1/43.6) - This felt pretty good until it didn't, which was in the last 25 meters. I locked up really badly, and without that extra wall on the last 25 (in SCY and SCM), my stroke unraveled swiftly. Tells me I am not quite in shape enough to pull off a great 200 FL.

400 EZ

(500 assorted warm up before 50 BR)

50 BR - 32.75 - So back in the day, I used to boss around the kids in this event. It was the event I won at several league championships each summer during college, and when I didn't win it, I was runner-up by a very slim margin to an eventual YMCA national champion. After going a 35.5 a few weeks ago at the end of a power/speed workout, I was looking to be 34 low or maybe 33 high. I was first off the blocks with a great start and then nailed my pullout and breakout stroke. After that I new it was going to be a good swim, but was very surprised to see 32.75 on the scoreboard. Was long on my finish. That was the only disappointment from the race. Well, that and the fact that I have to swim as exhibition at this meet, and I ended up winning the event by nearly half a second, so I actually didn't win it

600 EZ (100 swim/100 kick w/ BD) w/ SNKL

Total: 3700

Submit "Saturday 6/15/19" to Digg Submit "Saturday 6/15/19" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday 6/15/19" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday 6/15/19" to Google

Comments

What's this "exhibition" restriction? Register too late?
    Oh well, trust me, the other swimmers know they got beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    What's this "exhibition" restriction? Register too late?
    Oh well, trust me, the other swimmers know they got beat.
    Means I cannot score. YMCA has a very narrow definition of "amateur." According to them, once you receive anything for swimming, you lose that status. So even though I was a non scholarship athlete, the fact that my college team covered costs such as hotel/travel for away meets and conference means I am not an amateur. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Means I cannot score. YMCA has a very narrow definition of "amateur." According to them, once you receive anything for swimming, you lose that status. So even though I was a non scholarship athlete, the fact that my college team covered costs such as hotel/travel for away meets and conference means I am not an amateur. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.
    Years ago (when I first started swimming with USMS teams), I probably would have agreed with that Y definition. Not sure if it is that there isn't as much of a gap between those who swam in college and myself, or that I'm just getting over it...but I think that's rather silly. The fastest person should win.

That isn't to say I wouldn't be opposed to having a, "beginner," meet (or whatever you want to call it), that essentially is geared for first-timers. When I did the local LCM meet a few weeks ago I was surprised to see a few guys swimming in board shorts, at a meet. After being at nationals, where it seemed everyone wore high-tech gear, it was quite a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Years ago (when I first started swimming with USMS teams), I probably would have agreed with that Y definition. Not sure if it is that there isn't as much of a gap between those who swam in college and myself, or that I'm just getting over it...but I think that's rather silly. The fastest person should win.

That isn't to say I wouldn't be opposed to having a, "beginner," meet (or whatever you want to call it), that essentially is geared for first-timers. When I did the local LCM meet a few weeks ago I was surprised to see a few guys swimming in board shorts, at a meet. After being at nationals, where it seemed everyone wore high-tech gear, it was quite a change.
    To me amateur means I never received payment for my performances. I mean, how can the YMCA say I am not an amateur having competed for a college team, when we publicly uphold the righteousness and purity of the NCAA athlete as an amateur who cannot receive anything for their performances? I am lumping everyone into that "we". I won't even begin to crack open the can of worms that is "should college athletes get paid" on my blog comment section. But yeah, if NCAA athletes are supposed to already be amateurs, then why does the YMCA consider collegiate swimming participation to be a forfeiture of said status?

I am sure someone in some board room can tell me their reason why. But I also try to frame it as sports karma. I spent 5 summers (one after each year of college and then the following summer after living at home for a year) dominating the breaststrokes in my local YMCA league. I know I chafed a lot of people, especially by doing things like cruising/not shaving for prelims and then bringing my A game to finals. I am pretty sure that locally my actions have at least a little to do with the strict upholding of this amateur rule, and I am 100% sure you could call the rule that says collegiate (read the "non amateurs") swimmers at out league championship are automatically scratched from finals the "Calvin Rule."