View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Sunday 07282019

Rate this Entry
by , July 28th, 2019 at 06:18 PM (286 Views)
Wow, it has been a while since I've posted here!!!

I've been swimming. Generally:
* M-W-F 3500 to 4200 at the nearby Sendero Springs pool (they kick us out at 7am, for another few weeks)
* Tues/Thurs about 1000 after I'm done with everything else at the gym
* Sundays: my long swims at Barton Springs

I swam about 5-1/2 miles last week; I wasn't sure if I'd do a repeat of that or start to taper down (I'm swimming a 10k in 3 weeks).

Arrived and splashed around 7:15am today. It seemed pretty busy when I started, and got crazy busy from about 7:45 to 8:30am (free entry until 8am, and lots of people seem to arrive just before then). So busy that I was thinking of bailing early. Around that point it got pretty cloudy; I thought it might rain (maybe it did sprinkle a bit). Then the crowds really thinned out. So I stuck with it, but didn't stop much, trying to take advantage of swimming, in case I'd get kicked out.
I did 15 loops before I took any breaks/feeds. That's a tie for me; I did that once last year, but then stopped. Today I stopped, did feeds, and added fins for 3 loops.
On the back half of my 18th loop I caught a guy who was about my speed (I was wearing fins), and I stuck with him a bit. I stopped, did feeds, took off the fins, and added paddles...and he waited for me. Did 2 loops with Agility paddles, and held with him rather easily. Then I stopped, more feeds, and went toyless for a last loop. I kept up with him, but it was a struggle (not sure if I was quite close enough to get any draft). The last 100m we pretty much sprinted into the shallow area. Then I took off my cap and goggles and told him I was done. He said, "already?" I said, "where were you at 7am???" (he then had a different tone, as I was a bit spent by the time I caught him).
So it was another 5-1/2 miles today, and the last mile at near race conditions.
I feel much more prepared for Swim to the Moon this year than I was last year. Well last year it was my longest swim ever. This year, I've already swum 2 x 10k's, plus an 8+ mile attempt at Saguaro.

Here's a picture of Barton Springs when I arrived:

And here when I finished:

Air temp was around 78F when I started, 89F when I finished.
Water temp was a brisk 71F when I started (about the same when I finished). It always takes my breath away when I first get in. I do a little breaststroke, then ease my way into freestyle. But each time I go I feel more and more comfortable with it. Heck, I remember when I was training there last year and let out some choice words when I entered. None of that today.

Submit "Sunday 07282019" to Digg Submit "Sunday 07282019" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday 07282019" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday 07282019" to Google

Tags: open water
Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments