View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Breathing is Good! Friday, July 17

Rate this Entry
Survived the 100 fly LC today at Jr. Champs! Whew!

I used the recommended 2 up, 1 down breathing pattern for almost the entire race. Out of force of habit, I had a couple of every others. I think this helped a ton; I felt stronger throughout the race with no disruption of rhythm! I still crashed and burned with 10 yards to go and almost couldn't recover the arms the last couple strokes, but it wasn't nearly as bad as last year. I went 2 seconds faster today unrested than I did last year when I was fully tapered (same suit, same pool). The time board showed 1:12.2, but the time was reported as 1:12.5. Splits were 33.6 and 38.8. Not great, but still vastly better than last year when I split 33/41.

http://www.pvswim2.org/realtime/2009LC_JuniorChamps/

Race highlights:

Had to swim in the final heat in lane 1 due to a couple scratches, which I hate. But I didn't catch any wake.
Took 11 dophin kicks on the start out to exactly the 14.9 meter mark. Freaked out the poor kid.
Took a coffee break on the the turn for big air intentionally.
Floated at least a foot very slowly into the final wall. But I just couldn't bring myself to take another stroke.
Mini's coaches said I looked very "strong." Mini said my stroke looked "good." (This is more feedback than usual. lol)
Definitely going to use this breathing pattern again, and will likely try it in SCY. This may actually enable me to kick further in SCY ...

I'm hoping I can make it out to swim my 100 back tomorrow. I spent about 2 and 1/2 hours in the car today going back and forth to the meet. Out A meet tomorrow AM is in Mt. Vernon, so it will be a bit of a rush unless I go straight to U of Md.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prelim TT:

I saw the prelim TT came out. Unfortunately, I also see that both of the 100 backs I swam during the SCY season -- at the September Shootout in Cary NC and at the Auburn Invitational in Alabama were NOT on the list. I'm ticked about this. Both meet entry forms said the times would be submitted, I had received written confirmation from the meet director that my split request form & time were sent to the TT recorder, and the then DZ TT recorder sent me an email (which I believe I reported on my blog) confirming that she would submit the time. Yet both times are AWOL. I have sent emails to Ed Saltzman (DZ TT Recorder) and Mary Beth Windrath), but I doubt there is much that can be done. If not, I won't be attending meets in the Dixie Zone again. I know Cream Puff has had difficulty getting her USA times submitted as well. I'm just not a fan of incompetence. So while I'm very happy with my 100 fly time from today, this was kind of a downer. But I guess I know what I swam.

Submit "Breathing is Good!  Friday, July 17" to Digg Submit "Breathing is Good!  Friday, July 17" to del.icio.us Submit "Breathing is Good!  Friday, July 17" to StumbleUpon Submit "Breathing is Good!  Friday, July 17" to Google

Updated July 18th, 2009 at 02:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Did you break the 50 back record at Zones?

Nice job on your 100 fly and better splitting! So, now, you need to start doing the 200 fly!!!!!

It is a really good feeling to beat last year's rested when you are knee deep in training.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Did you break the 50 back record at Zones?

Nice job on your 100 fly and better splitting! So, now, you need to start doing the 200 fly!!!!!

It is a really good feeling to beat last year's rested when you are knee deep in training.
    Thx, Tom. I wouldn't say knee deep, as I eased off a wee bit last week. But not much. This is the first meet I've swum while lifting etc. in ages and I definitely didn't feel rested in warm up.

I did swim under the current national record for the 50 back at Zones when I went 27.9. KPN just swam faster during the year as well as you can see from the prelim TT.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    So, now, you need to start doing the 200 fly!!!!!
    Just saw this little gem too. lol

NOT A CHANCE!

Mini's coach said the same thing, but changed his tune when I told him I almost never swim further than a 25 fly in practice.
    Awesome fly time!! Glad the breathing worked out!

Sorry about the T10. Same thing happened to me again too this year for T10. Looks like an entire Masters Sanctioned meet (Dynamo St. Pats) did not count at all for T10. Have no idea why not. My swims are not there and neither are other swimmers' times. There is no bulkhead and pool measurement is on file. I guess I should not even ask about it. . . My husband saw all this and he said, "No wonder you have to do so many meets as only half of them count!" But get this, 1 of my USS meets counted (1 did not) and then my 1 Masters sanctioned meet did not count. I think it's a lottery system. LOL!
    Updated July 17th, 2009 at 10:26 PM by CreamPuff
    Quote Originally Posted by CreamPuff
    Awesome fly time!! Glad the breathing worked out!

Sorry about the T10. Same thing happened to me again too this year for T10. Looks like an entire Masters Sanctioned meet (Dynamo St. Pats) did not count at all for T10. Have no idea why not. My swims are not there and neither are other swimmers' times. There is no bulkhead and pool measurement is on file. I guess I should not even ask about it. . . My husband saw all this and he said, "No wonder you have to do so many meets as only half of them count!" But get this, 1 of my USS meets counted (1 did not) and then my 1 Masters sanctioned meet did not count. I think it's a lottery system. LOL!
    Or the Dixie Zone just sucks!

It's either a lottery system or they are trying to discourage split requests and participation in USA meets in your Zone. It doesn't seem to be a problem for others. This would NEVER happen in PV with The Little Devil in charge. I've ben spoiled here that way, I guess.

Thx about the time. Not compared to what you get up to. However, for me and my 25 fly training, I was happy.
    Grrrl. . . excellent time. No doubt!

We gotta be careful here - SCY Nationals 2010 are in your favorite zone. . .
    Sorry to hear about the 100 back fiasco. How frustrating! Maybe it will still get worked out somehow.

Great job on the 100 fly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CreamPuff
    Grrrl. . . excellent time. No doubt!

We gotta be careful here - SCY Nationals 2010 are in your favorite zone. . .
    Never a problem with Nats, you know! Just a problem at the run of the mill meets you and I frequent b/c we're not at Nats very often.
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Sorry to hear about the 100 back fiasco. How frustrating! Maybe it will still get worked out somehow.

Great job on the 100 fly!!
    Thx Elise! Now please go to sleep and rest so you can kick ass at Nats!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Never a problem with Nats, you know! Just a problem at the run of the mill meets you and I frequent b/c we're not at Nats very often.
    Really? I did not know that there were absolutes! But that is good to know that the times will count for sure at Nationals. May consider that meet then.

As for tje St. Pat's meet, I will agree with Mr. Negative in that that effort was completely for my health!
    They're also very fast in Dixie. A 38 year old male from NCMS went 48.52 in the um . . . 200 Free.

Congrats on the smokin 100 fly! Watch out Indy.
    Fort, excellent job in the 100 fly. I will tell you that the last 10 yards of the 100 fly is SUPPOSED to hurt...what gets better with training, ideally, is the speed that you can swim fairly fast even when really hurting.

I don't want to get your hopes up, but don't give up on the TT swims. I know they have had a serious problem with the previous TT recorder in NC. There is a new one now -- he wasn't the TT recorder at the time of your meets -- and I'll PM you his name and email. Hopefully he and Mary Beth can get things straightened out.

I do know that at least some times were submitted from NC, since my 1000 free from the Raleigh meet was in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    They're also very fast in Dixie. A 38 year old male from NCMS went 48.52 in the um . . . 200 Free.

Congrats on the smokin 100 fly! Watch out Indy.
    Thx, Pete. I'm not swimming the 100 fly in Indy b/c it's back to back with the 50 free and 50 back. So I was just trying to sneak a torture fest in before Indy and see where I was at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    Fort, excellent job in the 100 fly. I will tell you that the last 10 yards of the 100 fly is SUPPOSED to hurt...what gets better with training, ideally, is the speed that you can swim fairly fast even when really hurting.

I don't want to get your hopes up, but don't give up on the TT swims. I know they have had a serious problem with the previous TT recorder in NC. There is a new one now -- he wasn't the TT recorder at the time of your meets -- and I'll PM you his name and email. Hopefully he and Mary Beth can get things straightened out.

I do know that at least some times were submitted from NC, since my 1000 free from the Raleigh meet was in there.
    Well, that's what I lack: actual training for the LC fly. But I'm happy to be able to fake it a little faster, and I think that breathing more was key.

Thanks for the name of the TT person. That's the 3rd or 4th name I've been given ... The odd thing is that BOTH my times in the same event from separate meets are AWOL. Having a tapered time thrown out from a meet you traveled to is just flat out annoying.
    Great 100 Fly Fort! That is amazing you beat all those teen-agers too!
    Leg # 1 of the week-end successfully complete!
    Nice job on the 100 fly. I am with Tom, you are ready for the 200.

Think about it this way, you swam 14.9x2 dolphin kick, or 29.8 meters, leaving you 70.2 meters to actually swim fly. A 200sc fly, you could dolphin kick 14.9x8, or 119.2 meters/yards, meaning you only have to swim 80.8 meters/yards fly. Just up your fly training by 11 yards, and you should be ready for the 200 fly this fall!

Good luck in the back today.
    Great job on the 100 fly, and LC too! What suit did you end up wearing for your event?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Nice job on the 100 fly. I am with Tom, you are ready for the 200.

Think about it this way, you swam 14.9x2 dolphin kick, or 29.8 meters, leaving you 70.2 meters to actually swim fly. A 200sc fly, you could dolphin kick 14.9x8, or 119.2 meters/yards, meaning you only have to swim 80.8 meters/yards fly. Just up your fly training by 11 yards, and you should be ready for the 200 fly this fall!

Good luck in the back today.
    hahaha. Unfortunately, I can't stay under 14.9 meters each length. Nice theory though!

I did think afterward that, if I was smarter, I would have just kicked the last 10 yards and not worried about the arms collapsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    Great job on the 100 fly, and LC too! What suit did you end up wearing for your event?
    I was wearing my trusty old B70 that I can get on in one minute flat now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Great 100 Fly Fort! That is amazing you beat all those teen-agers too!
    Leg # 1 of the week-end successfully complete!
    Thx. Leg #2 has been aborted. Mr. Fort left this morning for the summer league meet warm with both sets of car keys and he's an hour from home. Can't get there in time for positive check in or warm up. That's OK, I'll just hang with my Mom. I can swim the 100 back at Indy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast