View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sat & Sun, July 19-20

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Saturday

Feeling a bit jinxed about meets. On Saturday, Mr. Fort left to take the girls to the summer league meet an hour or so from our house for warm up. (I was supposed to follow with my Mom later, as they were both swimming in the second half of the meet.) Unfortunately, he left with both sets of car keys. So I missed both their meet and my own meet. I couldn't get there in time for warm up and positive check in. I was a bit bummed, as I was looking forward to the 100 back. No matter, I'll just see how it goes in Indy.

Did 30 minutes on the indoor cycle and 15-20 minutes of Rc exercises

Sunday:

Weights/dryland:

explosive lifting:
HS bench press, 50 x 3 x 10
HS hi row, 90 x 3 x 10
tricep press, 45 x 3 x 10
total ab machine, 90 x 3 x 15

external and internal rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
elevated crunches w/12.5 lb weights, 2 x 25
windshield wipers, 2 x 20
iron monkey, 1 x 25
back extensions, 2 x 25

stretching

Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 warm up

8 x (4 x 50) @ :55-1:00
#1 = backstroke kick
#2 = backstroke
#3 = flutter kick w/board
#4 = fly or br drill

#1 & #2 = 10/8 SDK (like Chris, I'm a fan of hypoxic work during taper)
50 EZ

20 x 25 w/fins
odds = alternate AFAP free, AFAP flutter kick shooter
evens = EZ

150 C/D

Total: 3000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Funny note: My son asked for the Hopper Deck for his birthday. Seems like the coach at his rowing camp is a fan of Cross Fit. http://store.thehopperdeck.com/product/the-hopper-deck

Submit "Sat & Sun, July 19-20" to Digg Submit "Sat & Sun, July 19-20" to del.icio.us Submit "Sat & Sun, July 19-20" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sat & Sun, July 19-20" to Google

Comments

  1. tjrpatt's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that. Didn't you get a second set of keys with your car? I did on mine.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Sorry to hear that. Didn't you get a second set of keys with your car? I did on mine.
    I have two sets of keys. But my husband took my car so that he could take his bike. He took his only set of car keys also. Just bad luck!
  3. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    That is, by a factor of ten, the most expensive deck of cards I've ever seen.

    Also CrossFit sucks.
  4. qbrain's Avatar


    I will have to get my body armor out and see if I can pull that off.
  5. tjrpatt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I have two sets of keys. But my husband took my car so that he could take his bike. He took his only set of car keys also. Just bad luck!
    That is shame. You probably would have had a good unrested 100 back based on what you did in the 100 fly. Having bad luck sucks!!!! But, that is life and there is always another race.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain


    I will have to get my body armor out and see if I can pull that off.
    Did I read 300 squats squished in there?!?!
  7. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    That is, by a factor of ten, the most expensive deck of cards I've ever seen.

    Also CrossFit sucks.
    It might suck for swimming, but do you think it sucks for everything? Seems like it might be useful for rowing where muscular endurance is huge.
  8. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Did I read 300 squats squished in there?!?!
    And that is what you thought was the worst part? I think some of the draw of CrossFit is the "Can I really do that?" aspect.

    I totally want to go do it right now.
  9. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    It might suck for swimming, but do you think it sucks for everything? Seems like it might be useful for rowing where muscular endurance is huge.
    Which is why rowers row so much, rather than doing spastic pull-ups.

    Really, CrossFit sucks. There is no point, no planning, no intelligence, and no understanding of different needs and abilities. Today's workout is to run 5 km. What the hell is that? To an elite distance runner, that's a rest day. To a beginning runner, that's instant tendinitis and no lower body exercise for the next month at least.

    Notice how often specific loads are prescribed. Like, a 95-pound overhead squats. Have you ever done those? That is a lot of weight. Most people can't even press that overhead. Some might try and rip their shoulders off. Of course, if you're a world champion weightlifter, 95 is nothing.

    Training is about adapting the body to do a particular activity. Progressive overload. Have they heard of that? You attempt to do what is barely within your reach, until it becomes easy, then you go for the next thing, which used to be impossible. This requires some information about the individual going through this process, and what their abilities are in different areas at any time. CrossFit is none of that.

    Not to mention there must be something you are training for. CrossFit is about some universal "fitness" concept, but there is no such thing as universal fitness! The word implies some kind of task or situation: what are you fit to do? CrossFitters appear to be fit to jump around like morons. I bet they can't, oh I dunno, swim. Because they never swim, because somebody forgot to include water in their all-encompassing holistic model of ideal human physical performance.

    Then there's the sheer joint-killing effect. Kipping pull-ups, muscle-ups? Holy crap. This is a self-selecting crowd if I've ever seen one. Any "coach" tells me to do a single rep of either of those and I'll walk out. It's dangerous and it's a waste of time.

    CrossFit sucks. Seriously.
  10. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    It might suck for swimming, but do you think it sucks for everything? Seems like it might be useful for rowing where muscular endurance is huge.
    I doubt Jazz will have a strong opinion on the matter.
  11. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    And that is what you thought was the worst part? I think some of the draw of CrossFit is the "Can I really do that?" aspect.

    I totally want to go do it right now.
    Looked like the worst part to me! I agree with your assessment of Cross Fit... much of it is "Can I do that?" Which doesn't make it that different from tris and OW swimming, to me.

    People like Jazz with opinions, especially if they're still open minded, are much more interesting than those permanently wracked with indecision.
    Updated July 20th, 2009 at 03:14 PM by The Fortress
  12. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Which is why rowers row so much, rather than doing spastic pull-ups.

    Really, CrossFit sucks. There is no point, no planning, no intelligence, and no understanding of different needs and abilities. Today's workout is to run 5 km. What the hell is that? To an elite distance runner, that's a rest day. To a beginning runner, that's instant tendinitis and no lower body exercise for the next month at least.

    Notice how often specific loads are prescribed. Like, a 95-pound overhead squats. Have you ever done those? That is a lot of weight. Most people can't even press that overhead. Some might try and rip their shoulders off. Of course, if you're a world champion weightlifter, 95 is nothing.

    Training is about adapting the body to do a particular activity. Progressive overload. Have they heard of that? You attempt to do what is barely within your reach, until it becomes easy, then you go for the next thing, which used to be impossible. This requires some information about the individual going through this process, and what their abilities are in different areas at any time. CrossFit is none of that.

    Not to mention there must be something you are training for. CrossFit is about some universal "fitness" concept, but there is no such thing as universal fitness! The word implies some kind of task or situation: what are you fit to do? CrossFitters appear to be fit to jump around like morons. I bet they can't, oh I dunno, swim. Because they never swim, because somebody forgot to include water in their all-encompassing holistic model of ideal human physical performance.

    Then there's the sheer joint-killing effect. Kipping pull-ups, muscle-ups? Holy crap. This is a self-selecting crowd if I've ever seen one. Any "coach" tells me to do a single rep of either of those and I'll walk out. It's dangerous and it's a waste of time.

    CrossFit sucks. Seriously.
    I've noticed the specified load on occasion as well and wondered how they come up with the numbers. Surely individualization must be implicit? I haven't read their mission statement in awhile, but it does seem like Cross Fit is focused primarily on pure fitness across a broad spectrum of activities. Specialization is not really factored into their training plan. Cross fitters are trained to be cross fitters. The athletes who participate in specific sports probably just pick and choose the aspects of Cross Fit they like. I'm sure there are people who view it as dogma, but others don't. I know my son said Kipping pull ups are BS, and he won't do them. I think he's just looking for some dryland training to supplement his rowing during the off season.