View RSS Feed

flippergirl

M.I.A. of L.I.F.E (Laps, Intervals, Fun, Endurance)

Rate this Entry
I have been dealing with alot of distractions that keep me from staying true to my WOs. Traveling, celebrations, family accidents, business matters, etc.

I went to the Ed Gaw Amelia Island 5k swim at the tip of Fla. and it was awsome. It is so far away from this writing however, that I feel its memory slipping away. Ah yes, I just got a flash of being in the perfect temp. ocean water on a clear day and charging with a hop. skip and a jump toward the first bouy. It seemed like forever, but I kept my stroke long, relaxed and steady.

I kept invisioning things like my coach at the side of the pool with her arms stretch out like a monkey reminding me to climb the water long and tall.

I thought about my Dad if he were alive... on the side lines saying, "Com'on you can do it!

I had planned on pulling out my surfer racecar driver friend Peter for help when I just thought I couldn't go any farther and I did.

At one point I smelled cigarette smoke...it was a kayaker...drove me nuts.

"Where's that dam bouy!" I remember screaming out loud to nobody on several occasions.

Sometimes in the distance I saw two other bright green caps. I used them as competion I was determined to catch but never did.

I am very thankful to the kaykers for keeping us all coraled. I would have other wise been all over the place.

I used houses on the sidelines like people I was passing in a parade...my hands waving over and over again.

Finally, I saw the finish bouy! I rounded it and headed to shore. When I stood up I felt my whole body shift and not in a good way. My legs ached as I crossed the finish line with all my might.

I won my age group!!!! But most of all my time makes me very, very proud of the hard work I did leading up to that very moment of 1:35:24 for my first 5k.

Now time to get back to the drawing pool.

P.S. Good Luck to everyone at the Nationals!

Submit "M.I.A. of L.I.F.E (Laps, Intervals, Fun, Endurance)" to Digg Submit "M.I.A. of L.I.F.E (Laps, Intervals, Fun, Endurance)" to del.icio.us Submit "M.I.A. of L.I.F.E (Laps, Intervals, Fun, Endurance)" to StumbleUpon Submit "M.I.A. of L.I.F.E (Laps, Intervals, Fun, Endurance)" to Google

Updated August 29th, 2009 at 10:07 AM by flippergirl

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I am so happy to hear that your 5k went well! Your time is awesome!!
    It was so much fun...have you ever done open water swim?