View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Into the OW, Monday, Aug. 24

Rate this Entry
Well, it wasn't too rough today, so there was no excuse not to venture into the OW. And it was an enjoyable break from the usual walls. I swam a course my husband had measured with his bike computer as 1.7 miles on the road. I must have swum 2+ miles with the zig zagging and having to swim back out past the surfers several times. And there were no jellyfish! The only bummer was that I lost my goggles when I got hit by a huge wave on the way to shore. Luckily, I have others.

Then I ran back along the beach. And it didn't even feel too dreadful!

Now, after a day of sun and surf, it's almost time for my margarita! Sleep be damned.

Submit "Into the OW, Monday, Aug. 24" to Digg Submit "Into the OW, Monday, Aug. 24" to del.icio.us Submit "Into the OW, Monday, Aug. 24" to StumbleUpon Submit "Into the OW, Monday, Aug. 24" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

A good margarita is better than sleep! Have fun!
    Life is good!
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Life is good!
    Very!
    Leslie, not to be a nag...
    but, as a veteran OC beach swimmer, swimming one way along the beach requires an asterisk.

If you are swimming against the general current, it's pretty easy to go pretty far in a pretty short time. If you are swimming in the opposite direction, you will experience an opposite scenario.

Depending on the speed of the drift, I have been know to swim a mile against the current in 40 minutes, then return to my starting point in 20 minutes.

On the days when I am feeling particularly scrupulous, I try to swim back and forth to make sure I am hindered by the current as I am later helped by it.

On the day when I just want to be able to tell myself I swam a good long ways, I measure off 2 miles or so and swim it downstream, asking my brother to pick me up in the car with a fresh set of towels, then whisk me post haste to his hot tub.

Just sayin'
    Sounds brilliant!
    You have permission to use my Bo Derek avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Leslie, not to be a nag...
    but, as a veteran OC beach swimmer, swimming one way along the beach requires an asterisk.

If you are swimming against the general current, it's pretty easy to go pretty far in a pretty short time. If you are swimming in the opposite direction, you will experience an opposite scenario.

Depending on the speed of the drift, I have been know to swim a mile against the current in 40 minutes, then return to my starting point in 20 minutes.

On the days when I am feeling particularly scrupulous, I try to swim back and forth to make sure I am hindered by the current as I am later helped by it.

On the day when I just want to be able to tell myself I swam a good long ways, I measure off 2 miles or so and swim it downstream, asking my brother to pick me up in the car with a fresh set of towels, then whisk me post haste to his hot tub.

Just sayin'
    Nag! It seemed to take a damn long time.

The only asterik needs to go with your 29.5 50 fly since, unlike moi, you swam it for the first time in B70.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken of the Sea
    Sounds brilliant!
    You have permission to use my Bo Derek avatar
    I was feeling like an eleven until Jim nagged.
    Then I ran back along the beach.
    How very unwussy of you.

Glad you were sans-jellyfish. Jellyfish suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I was feeling like an eleven until Jim nagged.
    Don't listen to Jim. You are an eleven!
    Some locals like to swim pier-(Oceanic)-to-pier (Johnny Mercer) for 1.7 mile swim usually starting at the south end (Oceanic) because the typical southerly wind has more impact than the tide. Alas, wind has been from the north lately.

Other like to swim Banks Channel starting at the Blockade Runner and swim north or south with the tide and along the docks to avoid boats. A tri-group meets there (Blockade Runner) at around 6:00am Tues. and Thurs., though it's still dark at 6. Water temp almost hot at 80 degrees.

I would expect you would "dust" anyone attempting to swim with you but you could let them chase THE FORTRESS.

See WB tide info at:
    http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/7074.html

Indoor pool options--since the YMCA is closed--include the YWCA at 2815 S. College (near Holly Tree Rd) open 5am to 8pm for lap swimming (910)799-6820.

Have a great week at WB! --mjm
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    How very unwussy of you.

Glad you were sans-jellyfish. Jellyfish suck.
    I think I would drive to a pool every day if there were jellyfish. I'm just not fond of them at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mj_mcgrath
    Some locals like to swim pier-(Oceanic)-to-pier (Johnny Mercer) for 1.7 mile swim usually starting at the south end (Oceanic) because the typical southerly wind has more impact than the tide. Alas, wind has been from the north lately.

Other like to swim Banks Channel starting at the Blockade Runner and swim north or south with the tide and along the docks to avoid boats. A tri-group meets there (Blockade Runner) at around 6:00am Tues. and Thurs., though it's still dark at 6. Water temp almost hot at 80 degrees.

I would expect you would "dust" anyone attempting to swim with you but you could let them chase THE FORTRESS.

See WB tide info at:
    http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/7074.html

Indoor pool options--since the YMCA is closed--include the YWCA at 2815 S. College (near Holly Tree Rd) open 5am to 8pm for lap swimming (910)799-6820.

Have a great week at WB! --mjm
    Thanks, what great info!!!

I think I did the pier to pier swim last year, or close to it. I swam from the Mercer pier down to the last hotel yesterday and today.

I am going to try out the YWCA tomorrow I think. The ocean is more stressful on the shoulders with all that bouncing around.

Love WB. It's nice to dine at the Oceanic out on that pier as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I think I would drive to a pool every day if there were jellyfish. I'm just not fond of them at all.
    Well YAY... someone has to pee on you to make the stinging stop, and I suspect only onepersonlivingoutsideofpittsburg would be into that sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Well YAY... someone has to pee on you to make the stinging stop, and I suspect only onepersonlivingoutsideofpittsburg would be into that sort of thing.
    No doubt.

I'm told meat tenderizer works as well -- but who wants to test out either option?
    "Love WB. It's nice to dine at the Oceanic out on that pier as well".

Then you might want to try "Provisions" in Southport. Hole-in-the-wall place right on the water. Big, self- serve, refrigerator full of beer. Entrees mostly seafood but burgers as well.

See:
    http://www.southporttimes.com/provisioncompany.html

Fun to drive from WB south to Fort Fisher, take the ferry to Southport ($5 per car, 35 min.), follow coastline to Provisions. See ferry schedule below:
    http://www.ncdot.gov/_templates/down...ryschedule.pdf