View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Tuesday, Sept. 1

Rate this Entry
by , September 1st, 2009 at 10:23 PM (892 Views)
Weights/Dryland:

HS hi row, 130 x 3 x 10
tricep press, 55 x 3 x 10
bench press, 70 x 3 x 10
deadlift, 90 x 3 x 10
cable twist w/yoga ball, 40 x 3 x 15, each side
dead bugs on bosu, 3 x 15
windshield wipers, 3 x 20
incline crunch, 1 x 25 (didn't feel so hot ...)
external/internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each side
push ups, 2 x 15
prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25

Commentary:

Because of taper, vacation and the plague, I've only lifted once in the last 5 weeks or so. Definitely felt weaker, especially on the hi row. Reduced weights from max so as not to kill myself with excess soreness right outta the box. Doing 3 sets instead of 2 is my "endurance" phase. How's that for scientific? I think I may alternate periods of power lifting and speed lifting like Lezak does but on shorter cycles. I liked doing the explosive lifting I did a little bit before my last taper. Want to do more of it and more plyos this fall.

I also noticed this comment by Lezak on Quick's blog:

Using more free weights and machines that are independent for each side of the body are the best. If there are hammer strength machines in your gym, those are the best to use to get the most out of each arm or leg independently. You need to learn to balance each side in the gym like you would do in the swimming pool.

I haven't done this type of work at all. I should probably change this, except I'm not all that fond of doing leg curls and extensions he does in lieu of squats and dead lifts.

I have been abysmal about doing RC work lately as well. However, my shoulders feel fine at the moment, so hopefully I have dodged the shoulder pain that usually comes with RC absenteeism.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Swim/SCY/Team:

Wasn't sure I was ready to swim with the team after the last week, but decided to HTFU and drive out to Mason. Tons of traffic heading into Mason, and I arrived 15 minutes late. I missed most of the structured warm up, and can't remember what it was. It was a fin night for me.

Warm up:

600 or so variety swim, kick, drill

Main sets:

12 x 100, done as:
3 x (3 x 100 free @ 1:20, 1 x 100 IM @ 1:40)

Not sure I was really warmed up enough for these. It was a challenge to get through this set with my queasy tummy.

50 EZ

50 AFAP off the blocks

I just pushed off, as I didn't feel like crawling out of the water. Went a 25 on backstroke. Because of the lack of recovery, this felt more like the second 50 of a 100.

50 EZ (was supposed to do 100 EZ)

14 x 75, done as:
2 x (5 x 75 pull @ 1:00 + 2 x 75 kick @ 1:40)

I kicked all 14. I worked the ones @ 1:00 and cruised the other 2 for recovery. Went 47-48 on the first set of 5 and 48-49 on the second set of 5.

50 EZ

The team was done, but because I arrived late, I did an extra set:

16 x 25 UW shooters @ :30
8 on belly, 8 on back

100 EZ

Total: 3550

(This 3550 was much harder than the 4000 I did yesterday!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chatted with my coach a bit about the upcoming half ironman relay swim. She did one earlier this summer as well and swam around 30 minutes. She said she got caught in the middle of the pack on the start and the crowd and limbs akimbo freaked her out a bit. She said she rolled over and did backstroke some to breathe. I think I'm going to need to sprint some at the start to avoid this.

Fall Ball:

Here is the order of events for the Fall Ball on Sept. 26:

1/2* 4 x 100 IM Relay
3/4 200 Back
5/6 50 Free
7/8 100 Fly
9/10* 4 x 50 Back Relay
11/12* 4 x 50 Fly Relay
13/14 100 Back
15/16 200 Free
17/18 100 Breast
-BREAK-
19/20* 4 x 50 Free Relay
21/22* 4 x 50 Breast Relay
23/24 200 Fly
25/26 100 Free
27/28 200 Breast
29/30 200 IM
-BREAK-
31/32* 4 x 50 Mix Up Med Relay

Not sure what to swim with this odd line up. I might sign up for the 200 and 100 back. Not sure if there's enough rest for me between them though. 200 backs wipe me out completely.

Exercise as addictive as heroin?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/di...ng-addict.html

Upcoming feature film:

Jim has asked me to announce that the latest Thornton Twins Production will be released shortly. As we haven't seen a joint production for some time, I'm sure we'll all be riveted. I don't even know the topic to drop a tantalizing hint; as Jim would say, "It is coming ..."

Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 1" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 1" to Google

Updated September 1st, 2009 at 10:59 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

If I do the Fall Ball, I might do 200 of every stroke for 400 IM purposes. Gosh, I have to decide soon though. Thank god the warmups are a little later or I would have to leave before 6AM to get there for 8AM warmups.
    I think I'm going to need to sprint some at the start to avoid this.

For sure, but that's your forte Fort! Stay a bit wide at the start, sprint ahead and then cruise.
    I think I'm going to need to sprint some at the start to avoid this.
    After the first 200 yards the mosh pit usually dies down. Like Patrick said, stay wide and let cattle drive do what it does.

Most triathletes find the swimming leg as the hardest part. Think of the movie Titanic, there'll be lots of thrashing at first and then, withing five or ten minutes, they all run out of gas as you effortlessly paddle by each one them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    If I do the Fall Ball, I might do 200 of every stroke for 400 IM purposes. Gosh, I have to decide soon though. Thank god the warmups are a little later or I would have to leave before 6AM to get there for 8AM warmups.
    Yes, the meet has a decent start time.

All four 200s? Yikes. You wouldn't get much rest between the 200 fly and 200 breast. But it is just an early season meet, so it would be good practice/training.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    After the first 200 yards the mosh pit usually dies down. Like Patrick said, stay wide and let cattle drive do what it does.

Most triathletes find the swimming leg as the hardest part. Think of the movie Titanic, there'll be lots of thrashing at first and then, withing five or ten minutes, they all run out of gas as you effortlessly paddle by each one them.
    I hope so! But we'll see. I'm a bit nervous about heading out in the 4th wave behind the pros, men, and women. Masters are 4th. I could get clogged up with the some of the women swimming before me if they're of the tri-swimmer variety.