View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wednesday, Sept. 2

Rate this Entry
by , September 2nd, 2009 at 04:09 PM (1396 Views)
It's a beautiful sunny day in the 70s here, so it was time for a run even though my running legs have utterly vanished from disuse. Went on a slow 5 mile zen trail run. Walked some on the up on mile 4. Took a water break and, as Pete would say, a nature break along the way. It was lovely.

I'm going to hop on my bike shortly for a quick 30 minute spin before heading off to fall kickoff night at our high school where my two oldest will get their schedules.

Here's another article for P & Q. Jazz can critique.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32632923/ns/health-fitness/

Submit "Wednesday, Sept. 2" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, Sept. 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, Sept. 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, Sept. 2" to Google

Categories
Running , Spinning

Comments

Glad you're back on the trail.

RE: the article, my question would be what base of exercise upon which moderate drinkers and heavy drinkers got an extra 10 & 20 minutes a week of exercise, respectively? If it's my base level of easily 500 minutes of weekly exercise (reasonable estimate @ ~70 minutes per day) then 10 minutes extra is a 2% gain in time. I'd want to know a lot more about the sample and what was considered "exercise." If the base is quite low where the 10 & 20 minutes represented a larger time gain, then I'd suggest that all study participants get out and exercise more, regardless of how much they drink. This seems like another bogus study designed to fill the 24 x 7 news media and satisfy someone's pressure to publish. (I'm feeling a bit cantankerous today ... maybe I need a drink to chill out!)
    Sounds like a great run. I've said this to others.... When we're kids we went outside to play. As you get older that playtime vanishes. But a nice meditative run can really relieve tons of real-world stress.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    This seems like another bogus study designed to fill the 24 x 7 news media and satisfy someone's pressure to publish. (I'm feeling a bit cantankerous today ... maybe I need a drink to chill out!)
    The cynicist in me would say this is absolutely true!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Sounds like a great run. I've said this to others.... When we're kids we went outside to play. As you get older that playtime vanishes. But a nice meditative run can really relieve tons of real-world stress.
    We definitely deserve more playtime! I think that's one reason I keep my runs zen and don't do intervals or try to go fast. It's just eminently more pleasurable that way.
    Good Job Fort! I knew you still had running in your legs!
    I'm glad it was satisfying.....that will keep you coming back!
    I am starting to wonder if you need a 12 step plan with all these justification articles
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I am starting to wonder if you need a 12 step plan with all these justification articles
    hahaha.

One of my friends posted it on FB and I stole it just for my P & Q.

The 12 step plan seemed to work reasonably well on the potato chip addiction. However, now I've been told that I really need to give up coffee. I might need a bit more than 12 steps for that ...
    Updated September 2nd, 2009 at 10:24 PM by The Fortress