View RSS Feed

Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!

Wednesday's Shoulder Woes

Rate this Entry
by , September 2nd, 2009 at 06:33 PM (159 Views)
I love swimming outdoors/longcourse at FPAC but I'm ready to move in now. I feel weary, beat-up, and a bit burnt out.
My left shoulder and neck have been bothering me a bit lately. It doesn't hurt when I swim, but it aches most of the rest of the day. The left side of my neck is SUPER tight too. I have some exercises that help loosen things a bit(when I do them).
I think I need to bi-lateral breath more and strengthen my deltoids to get total relief.
I am going to change some of my bad habits after Big Shoulders (10 days from now) but I don't want to do anything too drastic right now.
I decided to take another swim day off today. I haven't taken 2 days in a row off for about a year.
I've done my exercises 2 X today (1 X more before bed). I think I'm going to go out for a run now, if my knee will hold up that is.
If anyone has any good shoulder/deltoid strengthning exercises PLEASE POST THEM!
I need something that pulls my scapulas downward to stabilize my shoulder.
Thanks in advance! (That's what I'm trying to avoid!)

Submit "Wednesday's Shoulder Woes" to Digg Submit "Wednesday's Shoulder Woes" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday's Shoulder Woes" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday's Shoulder Woes" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I've been having almost the same problems with my left shoulder and neck. Like you, it doesn't bother me when I swim, but aches during the day and at night. I've been waiting for an appt' with a PT that comes to Elko a few times a month. She's supposed to be really good and has helped several of my friends that have had injury problems.
    I will post some very simple RC stretch cord ex's when I get back home from my brother's house this weekend, Good luck. You can use fins to "de-weight" your shoulder's stress (i.e., pull more easily w/o slowing down) and let the soreness semi-quiet down. Ice, too! And occasional application of Mayor Emma to the affected deltoid and neck muscles.