View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Weights + GMU Swim

Rate this Entry
by , September 3rd, 2009 at 05:24 PM (1261 Views)
Weights/Dryland:

HS hi row, 140 x 3 x 10
HS bench press, 80 x 3 x 8
rear delt fly, 55 x 3 x 15
bicep curl w/BB, 30 x 2 x 15, 40 x 1 x 12
leg extension, 60 x 3 x 15
seated leg curl, 60 x 1 x 15, 70 x 1 x 15, 80 x 1 x 15
standing overhand single arm push on double cable machine, 25 x 3 x 15, each arm
hip hinges w/12.5 lb DBs, 3 x 10 each leg
goblet squats, 40 x 3 x 15
leg adductors, 80 x 3 x 15
external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
3 point arm extensions, 2 x 15
elevated crunches w/med ball, 2 x 15
dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
decline reverse crunches, 3 x 20

10 minutes of stretching

Commentary:

Got in a longer session today, though I still kept the amount of weight conservative as I ramp up again. I've decided I'm going to do more leg work in the gym. In the past, I've done very little -- just squats and maybe a leg press here and there. I'm going to add in leg extensions and seated leg curls with a small-ish range of motion.

My legs were slightly sore today from the run -- that's what I get for not running for over 2 months ... I could feel my core muscles too; and those are usually never sore.

Ran across this article/study on ab work. I was a bit surprised by the rankings of core exercise. I would have expected the ab roller and planks to be higher.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/a...Best_Ab_Ex.htm

Chlorine posted this on the forum and it also looks worth looking at:

http://www.rosstraining.com/

I'm heading to Mason tonight and will update my blog with my swim later. This will likely be one of my last Tuesday/Thursday night sessions, as my kids' practices/dinner/homework tend to interfere with me getting to these practices during the school year and Mr. Fort is often working/traveling. So I will become a Sunday regular once again. I've heard this Sunday's practice will not contain one stroke of freestyle ...

I sent in my transfer of affiliation form to re-join GMUP. Though I LOVED swimming with all my Academy Bullets teammates at Nationals. It should be effective by the Sprint Classic. I'll just need to swim the Fall Ball, if I do, unattached.

Swim/SCY/Team:

Warm up:

400 swim
300 kick
200 IM drill
100 scull

8 x 50 kick w/fins @ :50
2 x (3 dolphin kick on back, 1 dolphin kick on side)

50 EZ

Main set:

6 x 125 @ 1:45 (100 free/25 stroke)
(I worked the free, cruised the last 25)
4 x 100 kick @ 1:50
(I did these fast with fins to get some speed work in and went :59-1:00 backstroke kick)
6 x 75 @ 1:10 (25 stroke/25 free/25 stroke)
(I'm not a fan of changing from stroke to free this much. But others love it.)
extra :30 seconds rest
6 x 100 pull @ 1:20
(I did backstroke kick w/fins and held around 1:03s.)

100 EZ

Sprint set:

4 x 25

#1 UW dolphin kick off blocks
#2 easy
#3 fast off blocks
#4 easy

20 C/D

Total: 4050

Submit "Weights + GMU Swim" to Digg Submit "Weights + GMU Swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Weights + GMU Swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weights + GMU Swim" to Google

Updated September 4th, 2009 at 10:47 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

I do more of the bicycle crunches than any other ab exercise. Kind of cool to see them ranked as #1. I do a modified version of captain's chair which is ranked #2. I call them leg lifts and alternate bringing up my legs straight with bringing them up bent.
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    I do more of the bicycle crunches than any other ab exercise. Kind of cool to see them ranked as #1. I do a modified version of captain's chair which is ranked #2. I call them leg lifts and alternate bringing up my legs straight with bringing them up bent.
    I thought of you when I read that because I see that you do bicycles all the time!

The captain's chair is similar to the hanging ab work I did last spring. Except I think the hanging work is even harder. I need to re-start that as well.
    I've heard this Sunday's practice will not contain one stroke of freestyle ...
    I've heard of Master's prerogative...
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I've heard of Master's prerogative...
    I'm the most frequent invoker on the team!

But I'm sure Brad, "Mr. Freestyle," will only swim free. And I personally won't mind a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    The captain's chair is similar to the hanging ab work I did last spring. Except I think the hanging work is even harder. I need to re-start that as well.
    I agree, hanging is harder. Not sure it is harder on the abs, or if it just recruits more muscles.