View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Resting Sucks, Wed., Dec. 3

Rate this Entry
by , December 3rd, 2008 at 04:35 PM (1405 Views)
SCY, solo:

700 variety warm up

10 x 50 on 1:05, alternate backstroke kick and backstroke, moderate pace

50 EZ

8 x 25, alternate easy speed fly and easy

50 EZ

4 x 25 AFAP free, 50 easy after each 25

100 EZ

Total: 1900

Thoughts:

Resting is very odd. I absolutely hate resting and miss all my cross training, especially running on sunny days like today. But when I cut back and do nothing but some sprinting and recovery swimming in the pool, I seem to get really lazy and can't wait to get out of the water from even my short little swim ... Seems like a complete waste of time. I was even daydreaming about a nap today. Need to get back to regular training. Or I'll be an even bigger tank than Puff is becoming!

A friend commented that she couldn't believe I was resting this week for 3 events. I thought that was plenty of events for one day! Although I do really wish I was swimming both days of the meet this weekend.

Fly still feels like crap. Not sure why.

Think I need to do more overkicking freestyle drills. I'm a pretty fast flutter kicker, but don't think I'm getting anywhere near max kick when I'm sprinting free. And Hulk has told me this too.

Still haven't heard from the Zones meet director via email. Will check the psych sheets again.

Submit "Resting Sucks, Wed., Dec. 3" to Digg Submit "Resting Sucks, Wed., Dec. 3" to del.icio.us Submit "Resting Sucks, Wed., Dec. 3" to StumbleUpon Submit "Resting Sucks, Wed., Dec. 3" to Google

Updated December 3rd, 2008 at 05:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Right there on the resting thoughts. Resting doesn't make me feel rested. . .
    Me neither. I just feel jumpy and fatigued. I keep thinking I should get more sleep, but I'm getting my usual amount. Don't feel energized.
    You are only resting a week and this is the last SCM meet of 2008.
    I cut back slightly last week too. 2 week tapers sometimes feel like too much. Last year, I tapered 2 weeks for NE Champs in Dec. and this year 2 weeks for Austin in May. I did well, but felt like I didn't have much gas left at the end of my 100s, so I'm somewhat inclined to rest less.

I still feel like I'm shooting in the dark on taper issues. Not sure what works best. One key thing for me seems to be to cut out all cross training and rest the legs, and I've cut that for 2 weeks. You have a TON more swimming yardage than me to cut. I rarely swim more than 3500 at one practice.

Plus, I'm not swimming my best events (and only 3 at that) at this meet. So I'm not inclined to go full on taper mode for those events. But I think I'm rested a fair bit, and it's been very hard curtailing the cross training!

What I'd really like is for some guru to give me a 2 week taper plan especially for girl sprinters. Otherwise, I seem to default to resting a week and cutting out cross training with nothing more scientific. Could use a good coach!
    Updated December 3rd, 2008 at 10:26 PM by The Fortress