View RSS Feed

chaos

CARDIO CATH

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
by , December 3rd, 2008 at 10:29 PM (5847 Views)
well, today was cardio cath day at st. peters in albany.... not a day i was looking forward to, but everyone kept reassuring me that the procedure was painless; and for the most part... it was. i spent last night reading the lit that the hospital sent me about the cath and the types of hardware (stents) that seemed likely to be joined with my anatomy. needless to say; there was very little sleeping to be had by yours truly.

alarm goes off at 6:00 and we are on the road at 6:30. (my sis-in-law is a speed demon so we arrive 1/2 hour early). sign papers - hospital gown and silly socks with grippy bottoms - check vitals - I V drip - off we go to the cath lab holding area. i booked the second appointment of the day (i figure the doc will get warmed up on someone else) its cold in here but being the "non wetsuit" type i choose to tuff it out sans the blankets that are being offered every twenty seconds.

my turn in the lab. some happy juice is injected into my IV... some shaving (hey be careful down there)... and now some blankets that feel like they just came out of the dryer. there is a monitor near my head so i can watch the cath as it pokes around my heart. its true, no pain, no discomfort.

good news, you could drive a truck through my arteries, so, no hardware necessary. i'll be going home tonight....all i have to do is clot!

about 1 1/2 hours post op, i pop my clot while reaching for a pot to piss in... damn i sure can bleed. a nurse is alerted and applies a vulcan death pinch to my groin that she holds for twenty minutes. (thats going to leave a mark) now on top of a hematoma the size of a regulation volley ball a 10 pound sand bag is placed (new dressing of course) only three more hours of lying here.

well, it hurts like hell when i walk but i'm happy about the clear arteries.
i will have a talk with my cardiologist tomorrow. i suspect a TEE will be prescribed for me before the bruise in my groin disappears.

i was told, no alcohol for 72 hours but i found a great website to help me choose a celebratory cocktail (68 hours and counting)
http://www.cocktaildb.com/index

Submit "CARDIO CATH" to Digg Submit "CARDIO CATH" to del.icio.us Submit "CARDIO CATH" to StumbleUpon Submit "CARDIO CATH" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments