View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Floatin' Around, Thursday, Dec. 4

Rate this Entry
by , December 4th, 2008 at 04:54 PM (1255 Views)
Still resting:

700 warm up

5 x 50 fly drill
50 EZ
8 x 25 smooth free with overkick
50 EZ
3 x AFAP free, 50 EZ after each
100 EZ

Total: 1575

Had a fabulous chat with my very first masters coach today. (He is a NOVA coach out in Cali now.) I totally credit him for getting me back in the pool and teaching me how to swim again (or at least for the 4 months before he moved). He's the best, a real technician! We talked about the 100 fly for awhile. He said, if he were still coaching me, he wouldn't have me do anything longer than 25s with an occasional fast 50 or 100. He said "train free" or do a lot of free-fly stuff. But otherwise nothing but quality or very fast 25s. That's pretty much what Paul and Ande said on the "training for the 100 fly" thread, as I recall. Since my shoulders don't like long fly sets, I think I pretty much have to embrace this strategy.

He also reminded me that, when I first started masters, I said "I'm just too old to swim the 100 fly." lol. I had forgotten about that, although it did take me awhile to overcome my 100 fly fear. He also told me that I am a 50 freestyler and that I should focus on that event. He "knows me better than me," he says. Hmmm .... I guess coaches can sometimes see things you can't see yourself?

On another note, my Zones entries were straightened out and I now officially an evil 50 free sandbagger. However, I noticed that I am not the only sandbagger in that event, as Fall W. is seeded at :55.

Also, I haven't been sleeping well the past few nights. Really tossing and turning. This is another evil result of evil resting. No sound sleep. At least I slept well last week!

Submit "Floatin' Around, Thursday, Dec. 4" to Digg Submit "Floatin' Around, Thursday, Dec. 4" to del.icio.us Submit "Floatin' Around, Thursday, Dec. 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Floatin' Around, Thursday, Dec. 4" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck Leslie! Have a wonderful time! I think it's fate that you ran into your first masters coach right before your meet. What a great pick-me-up!
    Didn't run into him. That's the beauty of facebook on line chat!

He also recommended a U of AZ video series for me, especially this one as I am start challenged:

http://www.championshipproductions.c...MD-02663E.html

I'm sure I'll have fun. I almost always do at meets. It looks like Saturday, because the 1500 is first, I actually might have made it up in time for events. Oh well.

Good luck to you too! And enjoy the down time with hubby on the beach. Sounds divine!
    You and I have got to get some block time in or the heck with it the only difference between a wall start and a block start is height, it is the same technique. We WILL have to set up a time to work starts. You WILL not get out of it. Especially if you are serious about taking a run at some of the national marks. Once you're in the pool you're plenty fast, just need to tighten up your starts and turns.
    Thanks Hulk, I could really use some coaching!