View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Rocked out at the Gym, Friday, Sept. 11

Rate this Entry
by , September 11th, 2009 at 07:01 PM (1137 Views)
I woke up rather tired today, but dragged myself off to the gym this afternoon and got going pretty quickly. I had a much longer time to work out as my little one was at a playdate. So I got in a pretty major workout, which I'm sure I'll feel tomorrow. And I didn't have to skimp on RC exercises! I increased weight on most exercises and skipped the pushing and pulling today.

Weights/Dryland:

10 minutes on bike to warm up

bicep curl w/BB, 30 x 1 x 15, 40 x 2 x 15
leg extensions, 90 x 3 x 15
seated leg curls, 110 x 3 x 15
HS rear delt fly, 85 x 3 x 12
overhead tricep press w/BB, 30 x 3 x 15
goblet squats, 60 x 3 x 15
cable twists w/yoga ball, 50 x 2 x 15, each side
decline reverse crunches, 3 x 25
long arm crunches, 2 x 50
plyo: 2 forward lunges + broadjump, 1 x 15
reverse knee flexion on Free Motion hamstring machine, 15 x 5 x 10 each leg
(did this laying down, with foot in strap, pulling knee to chest)
lying leg raise w/weight on double cable free motion machine, 50 x 2 x 15
(lie on back, hook cable handles around shoes, pull down, slowly lift legs up and lift ass off the ground, lower and pull legs down against weight)

RC work:

seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25
external and internal rotators, 10 x 3 x 15, each arm
prone scapular scrunches w/handweights, 3 x 25
chops on yoga ball w/handweights, 2 x 15 with thumbs down and 2 x 15 with thumbs up
scapular wall slide, 2 x 25
overhead med ball toss on wall, 2 x 50

stretch 15 minutes

ate a balance bar and headed to the pool ...

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Put on my 2XU today. It seemed to fit very well, and I didn't mind the sleeves at all. (I know some OW swimmers hate them.) It's also a little strange feeling some water swooshing in the wetsuit. Only had time for a quick workout, and I was pretty tired from yesterday's workout and today's long weight session:

500 warm up

8 x 100 @ 1:40

50 EZ

200 fly drills

200 goswim free drill that Quick posted

200 scull

50 EZ

Total: 2000 meters

Note: I was going much faster in these 100s than I did the last time I did 100s on this interval with the same perceived level of effort.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weekly totals:

Swim: 5x (15,200)
Weights/dryland: 4x
Run: 1x

Looking forward to my scheduled day off tomorrow. Having a big birthday party at the house for Mini Fort, cross country met and soccer game for Lil lil Fort, so no time to work out anyway.

The plan for next week is to work S-M-T and then take it a bit easier the next 3-4 days. I'm feeling pretty beat up from drylands and don't want to swim a long race super tired from weights. Oddly, though I absolutely thrashed my legs this week with weights and kicking, my shoulders feel more sore than the legs ...

I was reflecting today that a year ago I almost quit weights because I was always so sore. By comparison, I now feel like a gym rat!

Submit "Rocked out at the Gym, Friday, Sept. 11" to Digg Submit "Rocked out at the Gym, Friday, Sept. 11" to del.icio.us Submit "Rocked out at the Gym, Friday, Sept. 11" to StumbleUpon Submit "Rocked out at the Gym, Friday, Sept. 11" to Google

Updated September 12th, 2009 at 09:54 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Leslie,

What did you think of the suit? Fast ...right? Was water getting in through the arms and neck on push off? if so, don't worry, that won't happen out at sea.

You didn't do fly drills in it did you? I find fly and breast almost impossible in a suit.

Funny neck thing? You sure you didn't have it on backwards?LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Leslie,

What did you think of the suit? Fast ...right? Was water getting in through the arms and neck on push off? if so, don't worry, that won't happen out at sea.

You didn't do fly drills in it did you? I find fly and breast almost impossible in a suit.
    The suit felt very fast. As I said, I was swimming those 100s at the same perceived level of effort and going 7-8 seconds faster than with poly tank. It's amazing that that sort of max buoyance is legal in OW (yes, I know warmth is key, but ...) and now apparently illegal in the pool. I'm not sure I understand that disparity.

I didn't do fly drills in it. I took it off after the 8 x 100s. The air temp was in the 60s, but the pool temp was 84, rather hot for a wetsuit. I'm going to swim it in at Mason next week one more time before the race. I did some breast in warm up in the wetsuit though, and it seemed fine to me.
    Yea, that's how it felt for me in the pool. At least 5-7 sec faster per 100 with same effort.

You doing the whole tri or a relay? I noticed the relays start at the front. Not so in the tri I did last month. I was fourth wave and caught the wave ahead in about 400 yards and they had a 7min head start! Had to plow through and "get personal" with alot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Yea, that's how it felt for me in the pool. At least 5-7 sec faster per 100 with same effort.

You doing the whole tri or a relay? I noticed the relays start at the front. Not so in the tri I did last month. I was fourth wave and caught the wave ahead in about 400 yards and they had a 7min head start! Had to plow through and "get personal" with alot of people.
    I'm doing a relay. Mr. Fort is our cyclist and his running partner/marathoner is our runner. We're taking our youngest kids who are best friends and like to cheer and staying in a cottage right on Deep Creek Lake. Should be a fun weekend. Just hope I don't run afoul of a buoy. I need to study the course. Hope I can get in the day before and swim the course. I know they've had the run and bike portions set up for weeks.

Yes, I'm just as happy to be in wave 1, or I'm sure I'd be plowing into tris. There's only 5 minutes between waves.
    Leslie,

Good luck. You guys will have fun. Some things I've learned:

Get there early get settled in. Being early will settle your nerves and give you a chance to "get rid" of the coffee.

Make sure the suit is pulled up your torso and arms and there is alot of room in the shoulders. Make sure you get this right.

Since it is a relay, you can warm up more than the tri people. Put suit on 45 minutes before race start and give yourself at least 30 min warmup, more if you want.

At the start, don't be nice. Position yourself at the front.

When they countdown go on "two" everyone else does.

Get out and get on someone's feet and keep your head down. Get that swim down hill feeling and follow the bubbles.

It's OK to periodically touch the persons feet, too bad. If they are too slow, go around and get on someone else's feet. If they are too fast, look to get on someone else's feet when they come by.

NAVIGATE, NAVIGATE, NAVIGATE!!!!!!!

When you finish keep swimming until you can see and then almost touch the bottom. Then you are ready to stand up and run, your not done until you get to transition. Your running will pay off here.

Rob.
    Thanks for the advice, Rob!

Yes, I think I need to spend some more time having the suit pulled way up. I was a bit hasty getting into it today.

Everyone goes on 2?! Cheaters! I never leave early in practice. I don't see the point.

I'm somewhat bummed. I just saw on the website that the relays were moved from the first wave to the second wave. The second wave is all relay swimmers (about 50/50 men/women) and all the 25-29 year old men. I've heard that age can be a bit nasty! Anyway, it sounds like I'll be with a ton of guys at the start.

I also saw that the woman who swam a 20 last year was an Olympic triathlete in 2004. No wonder!

The race course is now on youtube. Not too many turns, thankfully. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xsmQ6YVUHc&feature=autoshare_twitter"]YouTube - SavageMan Triathlon Half Swim Course[/ame]
    Updated September 12th, 2009 at 09:56 AM by The Fortress
    You are a gym rat now.

I am looking forward to hearing about your OW experience with a wetsuit. I wonder if the extra buoyancy will take pressure off your shoulders and make the distance more enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You are a gym rat now.

I am looking forward to hearing about your OW experience with a wetsuit. I wonder if the extra buoyancy will take pressure off your shoulders and make the distance more enjoyable.
    I guess so ... quite a transformation ... I used to just zip in and do some token work. You've been checking my gym progress. Any suggestions at this point?

I think the buoyancy will indeed help. It will certainly be, well, different. I'm glad at least I got a couple ocean swims in.
    Updated September 12th, 2009 at 10:32 AM by The Fortress