View RSS Feed

Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!

Big Shoulder!

Rate this Entry
by , September 13th, 2009 at 01:18 AM (217 Views)
Today was a "no excuses" sort of day at the Big Shoulder's 5K national championship ow swim.
The skies were azure and the almost calm water was a perfect 70 degrees! This was the exact sort of day most ow swimmers hope for!
I left the wetsuit in the trunk and donned in my bs suit. I wore 2 caps just because I practiced that way all week.
I started right at the edge of the "Giant Dorito" anchored by the tow line; a perfect start....well except when the rowboat accidently wacked me on the back with their oar. I heard them freaking out so during my breathing cycle I sputtered out "I'm fine!"
I took off and quickly noticed the exceptional water clarity. It was very cool to view the extreme plant growth underneath us while heading out to the first Dorito!
I enjoyed the large field of competitors this year. It's much easier to stay on course when you're in a group vs. swimming in isolation. I was really racing people today! It was an adventure in FUN!
The 5K passed by quickly.
I always have a problem figuring out where to go at the end of this race. True to Bobinator form I stood up about 150 yards off to the north of the finish line and had to run across a cement loading dock and other beach obstacles. Other than that I felt like I nailed the race as tight as I was capable of.
I ended up 1:27!!!! That's a good time for me.
SwimRobin was right at the finish line and greeted me as I came in; she had a spectacular race today! (1:17 if I remember correctly!)
I ran into Chicken of the Sea up on the beach too! Amanda was pleased with a pr today too!
I think I may take a week off swimming. I am thankful for such a positive experience at BS. I was feeling burned-out and beaten-up after Nationals and not looking forward to the 5K. I think a few days off might put me back to where I need to be, both physically and mentally.

Submit "Big Shoulder!" to Digg Submit "Big Shoulder!" to del.icio.us Submit "Big Shoulder!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Big Shoulder!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great job! Sounds like a beautiful, fun day. Did you get cold at all at 70 degrees?

Nothing wrong with a few days out of the water. It's not going anywhere and you will probably feel refreshed from a break.
    Good Job Robin!! I wish I could have been there. 70 is perfect for OW.
    Enjoy the break. I'm hoping to come to Indy or Chicago for one of the TYR meets this fall. Will you be swimming either of them?
    Nice job. I was there, too, and swam well. Yeah, the water was very clear. I don't think I've ever seen it like that before. The only negative during the swim was a few minutes of tasting gas fumes from the boats. Yuck!
    Glad to hear that you had a good race and did a good time! Wish we could have been there to cheer you on!
    Go Robin! Go! Now twirl! Good Robin! Here is your carrot.....
    Nice, nice job. It does sound like a perfect day. Reading your and Kirk's accounts reminds me I might need to skip La Jolla one year and head up to Chicago for Big Shoulders ... sounds like a great event. Enjoy your week off.
    For the record I was 6th in my age group. Yeah, I get a usms medal!!!!