View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Staying in the weight room

Rate this Entry
by , September 13th, 2009 at 10:41 PM (434 Views)
Lots of my tri friends are talking about the lastest trend of getting out of the weight room to have more time to train for triathlons. If you are pressed for time in general, I can somewhat understand this. I do think, however, that the weight room is undervalued by these athletes in preventing injuries. When you train miles upon miles, bad technique really comes out. Muscle imbalances are then really brought out. Injuries happen all too easily. IMHO, the weight room is a great place to correct these imbalances and therefore, helps prevent injuries.

Now that I've gotten my running legs under me, I've decided to add in some lower body weights. I'm mainly doing this to avoid muscular imbalances. I stay away from squats because I have lower back issues. Anyway, I plan to add more on as I go. Will have to cut back a little in a few weeks so that I can run decently for my next 5k. For the most part, I intend to stay with it until my taper swim meet in mid-February.

Here is what I did today:

Hip abduction - 2 sets of 110 x 15
Hip adduction - 2 sets of 110 x 15
Leg press - one leg at a time - 2 sets of 90 x 15
Leg curl - one leg at a time - 2 sets of 35 x 15
Leg extension - one leg at at time - 2 sets of 35 x 15

Submit "Staying in the weight room" to Digg Submit "Staying in the weight room" to del.icio.us Submit "Staying in the weight room" to StumbleUpon Submit "Staying in the weight room" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments