View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Swiped Patrick's Workout, Monday, Sept. 14

Rate this Entry
by , September 14th, 2009 at 09:51 PM (1846 Views)
I stole and modified one of Patrick's recent workouts today:

Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 variety warm up

8 x 25 UW shooters @ :30

50 EZ

Main set:

This was intended to be a quality IM set where the IMs were fast. Since I am ramping down the intensity some this week, I did the IMs @ about 80%. (Since I almost never do IMs this is hard to judge, however.) Oddly, the 100 IM hurt worse than the other two. The IMs were the only things I swam with fins b/c of fly. My breast pull feel better now that I've been really trying to squeeze my elbows together.

5 x 200 free (aerobic) @ 2:50
50 EZ
100 IM fast (went 1:05)
100 EZ
50 SDK on back fast
50 EZ

5 x 100 back (aerobic) @ 1:30
50 EZ
200 IM fast (2:24)
100 EZ
50 flutter kick w/board fast
50 EZ

5 x 50 dolphin kick w/board (aerobic) @ :50
50 EZ
400 IM fast (4:59)
100 EZ
50 SDK on back fast w/fins (23 mid)

200 EZ

Total: 4300

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Yes, I swam a 400 IM! lol First one in forever. I can't believe I used to regularly swim this vomity event as an age grouper. I even had my college record in it for awhile. It was not at an elite swimming college obviously.

I was a bit tired today. I think I have some accumulated fatigue from 3 weeks of hard training. Not going to do any doubles this week and ramp down the intensity some. Hoping to lift tomorrow -- I'll see how I feel after the procedure tomorrow am. Going to lay off the legs this week.

Cool drill/plyo:

I took my lil lil Fort to her first USS swim practice today. I was shocked she wanted to swim USS b/c she didn't like swimming much until this summer. Anyway, while her little group was stretching, I watched the seniors for a bit. They did a neat drill/dryland where they did streamline jumps on deck, plyo-jumped feet first into the pool, jump squated off the bottom of the pool, did a dolphin dive and SDK'd UW to the other end. Looked fun! I'm definitely going to do that to spice up a workout. Maybe next week.

Savageman:

I posted the Savageman swim to response to one of Rob's comments. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xsmQ6YVUHc&feature=player_embedded#t=17"]YouTube - SavageMan Triathlon Half Swim Course[/ame]

It's kind of odd ... it looks like it almost goes up on the beach halfway through. I can't imagine they're going to make us climb out of the water?

Originally, relays were assigned to the first wave, which I though was good. They've been moved to the second wave with the 25-29 year old men. Not so thrilled about that. Here is Jimby's advice:

"These guys are all going to be sprinting at the outset. I say: rope a dope the jerks, let them thrash away, kick each other in the head, use up all their testosterone in underwater fisticuffs, and the other standard triathletic strategies.

Start on the outside of the pack. It is not worth getting kicked on swum over or otherwise pummeled. They will exhaust themselves quickly, then you can tortoise-and-hare the mfkr's good. ...

So this distance is 2112 yards, assuming you swim straight, which is almost impossible to do perfectly. Imagine you were racing this distance in a pool. Would it EVER make sense to go out really fast at the beginning? Personally, I don't think so. Once you get lactate, it's hard to get rid of the stuff. Again, let the brutes battle it ..."

Submit "Swiped Patrick's Workout, Monday, Sept. 14" to Digg Submit "Swiped Patrick's Workout, Monday, Sept. 14" to del.icio.us Submit "Swiped Patrick's Workout, Monday, Sept. 14" to StumbleUpon Submit "Swiped Patrick's Workout, Monday, Sept. 14" to Google

Updated September 15th, 2009 at 11:36 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

If this was a sprint tri, I would agree with Jim. In the particular race that you are doing, I somewhat doubt those 25-29 guys will go out like a bunch of sprinting nuts. They have an entire half-ironman to do, so I seriously doubt they will be sprinting. If you hold back and swim from the outside, they will be clumped up drafting off of each other and if you come up on them, you may find it difficult to pass.

I'm a sprinter and have gone out fast and been fine. Consistently did low 21s on the 1.5k open water swim starting off the Olympic distance triathlon and that was when I was doing the entire triathlon on my own.

Go for it, Fort. Be aggressive. Just go somewhat hard for 100 yards and you will have clean water to settle into for at least some of the swim. You don't have to get right in the middle of the pack, but for you, I think starting at the outside will really end up slowing you down.

I have no idea how much open water racing experience you have. If this is your first in a long time, it may not be a bad idea to start from the outside. If you've done an open water swim recently, be mean and aggressive!
    Updated September 15th, 2009 at 12:18 AM by elise526
    It's kind of odd ... it looks like it almost goes up on the beach halfway through. I can't imagine they're going to make us climb out of the water?
    I don't think you will be climbing out of the water! What looks like a stretch of beach there is, I think, actually a bridge and you will be turning under the bridge (probably around a bridge support).

Good luck, and, for what it is worth, like Jim suggests, I wouldn't get caught in the muck of it from the beginning. But you don't want to get left too far behind either.
    It looks like if she swim the 400 IM, you could have another top Ten ranking to your long list of TT accomplishments. Nice time on the 200 IM as well.
    If you really were going 80% on those IMs, then you need to swim a 400 IM in a meet. I'm generally 25 to 30+ seconds faster in a meet than in a mid-season 400 IM, so you should be smoking in that most glorious of events.

I agree with Jim's advice re: the outside of the pack. However, I'd still recommend you line up at the front row. You'll be able to outsprint these guys even from the front. If you're in the second row or further back, unless you really intend to go out slow, you're going to risk getting whacked and kicked.

Oh ... great advice on the USMS site awhile ago about warming up before you do open water. Many people don't because it's often hard to find a spot. I'd highly recommend going to a pool that morning to warmup if the time's not to early and if you won't be able to get into the race course.

Have fun! Once you do this, can we assume you'll be putting in your lottery entry form for the Chesapeak Bay Bridge swim ... it's right in your back yard practically!
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Go for it, Fort. Be aggressive. Just go somewhat hard for 100 yards and you will have clean water to settle into for at least some of the swim. You don't have to get right in the middle of the pack, but for you, I think starting at the outside will really end up slowing you down.

I have no idea how much open water racing experience you have. If this is your first in a long time, it may not be a bad idea to start from the outside. If you've done an open water swim recently, be mean and aggressive!
    Zippo OW experience. Complete novice. Starting on the side near the buoy sounds like good advice. But doesn't everyone want to start there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Syd
    I don't think you will be climbing out of the water! What looks like a stretch of beach there is, I think, actually a bridge and you will be turning under the bridge (probably around a bridge support).

Good luck, and, for what it is worth, like Jim suggests, I wouldn't get caught in the muck of it from the beginning. But you don't want to get left too far behind either.
    Thanks Syd. That's what a friend of mine who's done the race just told me!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    If you really were going 80% on those IMs, then you need to swim a 400 IM in a meet. I'm generally 25 to 30+ seconds faster in a meet than in a mid-season 400 IM, so you should be smoking in that most glorious of events.

I agree with Jim's advice re: the outside of the pack. However, I'd still recommend you line up at the front row. You'll be able to outsprint these guys even from the front. If you're in the second row or further back, unless you really intend to go out slow, you're going to risk getting whacked and kicked.

Oh ... great advice on the USMS site awhile ago about warming up before you do open water. Many people don't because it's often hard to find a spot. I'd highly recommend going to a pool that morning to warmup if the time's not to early and if you won't be able to get into the race course.

Have fun! Once you do this, can we assume you'll be putting in your lottery entry form for the Chesapeak Bay Bridge swim ... it's right in your back yard practically!
    You did see I was swimming the IMs with fins though? I tried not to kick too much and just de-weight the shoulders, but still ...

I was assuming I'd get a chance to warm up. The transition area opens early. I'll have to check on that. I'd hate to swim and not be warmed up.

There are jelly fish in the Bay ... Ew, don't know about that. A nice clear lake sounds more my speed!
    Missed that part of your postings with the fins. But, I don't think that it is a stretch for you to break 5:00 in the 400 IM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Zippo OW experience. Complete novice. Starting on the side near the buoy sounds like good advice. But doesn't everyone want to start there?
    It varies. I like Patrick's idea of being in the front row but on the outside. Remember, this is a little different than a pool swim where clean water is not a big issue, so your strategy needs to be a little different. For you, I like the idea of you sprinting out the first 100 yards and getting into clean water.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Missed that part of your postings with the fins. But, I don't think that it is a stretch for you to break 5:00 in the 400 IM.
    Thnx, Tom. But I dunno ... I have trouble finding a smooth slower gear in fly. I think it's likely I'd go out to fast and be just blasted the rest of the race. I did breathe more on that 400 IM. That seems to help a lot.
    I haven't checked last year's results, but I was told someone went a 22. That's pretty darn fast, isn't it? Edit: Checked the results. The fastest chick was 20 and the fastest relay swimmer (a guy) swam an 18. Then it jumped to 28s.
    Sorry this is such an old quote but I just heard about it. I did the race last year and can explain the results. My swim time was 27:59. Every single person with a faster time had a full 12 minute time penalty assessed to their overall time because they missed a buoy on the swim. Meaning everybody faster than 27:59 didn't swim the 1.2 mile course (what actually happened was they all turned at the Olympic distance buoy instead of the Half distance buoy). So I didn't learn until way after the fact, but technically I had the fastest swim split of the race. And it wasn't very fast! Most likely the pros who got a penalty would have been faster than me if they did the full course. But instead of adding the 12 minutes to the swim splits, they just kept the bogus swim splits and added the 12 minutes to their overall time. You can figure this out if you add up all three legs plus T1 and T2 because it'll be 12 minutes less than their official times.
    Do you feel better now about the swim times?
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    It varies. I like Patrick's idea of being in the front row but on the outside. Remember, this is a little different than a pool swim where clean water is not a big issue, so your strategy needs to be a little different. For you, I like the idea of you sprinting out the first 100 yards and getting into clean water.
    That's what everyone seems to say. Geek suggested sprinting a 500, but that seems like an oxymoron!
    nice sets, you're training hard, were the IM's with fins?
    if not did you really kick breastroke?
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    Sorry this is such an old quote but I just heard about it. I did the race last year and can explain the results. My swim time was 27:59. Every single person with a faster time had a full 12 minute time penalty assessed to their overall time because they missed a buoy on the swim. Meaning everybody faster than 27:59 didn't swim the 1.2 mile course (what actually happened was they all turned at the Olympic distance buoy instead of the Half distance buoy). So I didn't learn until way after the fact, but technically I had the fastest swim split of the race. And it wasn't very fast! Most likely the pros who got a penalty would have been faster than me if they did the full course. But instead of adding the 12 minutes to the swim splits, they just kept the bogus swim splits and added the 12 minutes to their overall time. You can figure this out if you add up all three legs plus T1 and T2 because it'll be 12 minutes less than their official times.
    Do you feel better now about the swim times?
    Wow, thanks for the info, Jeff! 20 minutes did seem pretty speedy. And that's a good thing for me to keep in mind during the race. I had wondered what those 12 second penalties were when I looked at the results. I had assumed they were penalties for drafting during the bike portion.

Did you find it easy to spot the buoys? Did you wear a wetsuit? (I think I saw a pic of you in a shorty wetsuit?)

Now, if you're going a 27, I think it's safe to say I'll be significantly slower ...

Are you doing the full tri this year or the aquavelo?
    Updated September 15th, 2009 at 03:32 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    nice sets, you're training hard, were the IM's with fins?
    if not did you really kick breastroke?
    The IMs were with fins, which I noted. My shoulders have been a bit cranky, and I never swim fly without fins. That always causes a breakdown. I have been training hard for 3 weeks or so since my vacation. I feel in better aerobic shape than usual. But my pacing on a long set or something like a 4IM is terrible b/c of lack of experience.

I think I may swim the 50 evil at the Sprint Classic just for fun.
    A few things you will discover about OW tri events:
    --everyone sprints the first 100 yds
    --many folks can't swim straight and YOU get in their way
    --if someone swims over you ANY retaliation is acceptable
    --turn buoys are where the rugby scrum breaks out
    --some folks swim the entire course breast stroke and kick everyone who swims by
    --jelly fish don't usually penetrate wet suits but safe sea works on hands, feet, face. See http://www.buysafesea.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by mj_mcgrath
    A few things you will discover about OW tri events:
    --everyone sprints the first 100 yds
    --many folks can't swim straight and YOU get in their way
    --if someone swims over you ANY retaliation is acceptable
    --turn buoys are where the rugby scrum breaks out
    --some folks swim the entire course breast stroke and kick everyone who swims by
    --jelly fish don't usually penetrate wet suits but safe sea works on hands, feet, face. See http://www.buysafesea.com/
    Thanks!

No jelly fish in the lake, thankfully.

Rugby and "any retaliation, eh? I guess I'm going to have to get in my mean sprinter groove! No one rips off goggles, do they? I think I'll wear 2 caps ...