View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Fall Ball Fun, Saturday, Sept. 26

Rate this Entry
by , September 26th, 2009 at 09:07 PM (1392 Views)
Fall Ball:

No razzle dazzle, but plenty of fun. The pool was very nice - couldn't believe it was a high school pool(s)! It was nice to see some of the PV gang (though many seemed to take a pass either because of recent tris/OW or the upcoming PV nuptials.) And it was great to see Jazz again, and he was very speedy!

My times were fairly solid, but I had some technical difficulties. Felt like I had serious SCY rust. It was probably good to attempt to work out some kinks at this meet. I was also thrown off some by a switcheroo. I could tell in warm up that the backstroke flags were set at 5 meters. But I didn't know until after the 50 back that they were switched back to 5 yards before racing started.

I did feel tired in the water. This confirms my thinking that I just cannot compete very well two weekends in a row. However, since I had no expectations of this meet and used it for training, all was fine.

I also felt kind of "weak" strength wise. I suspect this is from doing weights only once in the last 2 weeks. I've also been completely unfaithful to my RC exercises.

50 back, 28.7

Did this as a split request in the 200. Took too many strokes from the flags in and jammed the first turn a bit. Took fewer strokes from the flags in at the finish and glided about 3 yards or so. lol. Jazz and Paul estimated a .5-.6 time loss on the finish. Still, it's about what I expected to go. If I had gone a low 28 right now, that would have been very surprising.

My stroke felt choppy and I had no zip/decelerated on the breakouts.

100 back, 1:04.8

Did this at about 90-95%. Wasn't sufficiently HTFU'd to kill myself with a total all out effort. (Felt slightly less guilty when Neill admitted to taking the same approach.) Turns/finish were better than the 50 (which Hulk seems to have called a "split-splat :P), and I SDK'd a fair amount. Just no real zip and took it out somewhat leisurely. (10 lashes from Ande.) There are no splits yet; that's just how it felt.

"100 free," missed split

I didn't feel inspired to swim a real 100 free. Since Jazz was doing a 50 fly on his first 50 of the 100 free, I decided to do a 50 SDK. I opted for doing it on my belly. Kinda wish I had flipped over and done it on my back, which I think is faster.

I almost hit the bottom of the pool about halfway on the first length. lol This is hard to do as the pool was 7 feet deep at that spot ... Had to come up practically vertical at the open turn and finish to get to the walls. Apparently, I didn't hit the touchpad hard enough to get a split ... Think it was probably around 30 or so though, nothing too fast. I did a 31+ from a push a week or so ago without a B70.

The officials were pretty entertained by our 100 free heat. The referee, who I had chatted with throughout the meet after arranging my split request, laughed and wryly observed that I had gone past the 15 meter mark. I smiled and agreed he should DQ me, but he decided not to since he'd never seen anyone do a 50 SDK at a meet before.

Allison taped our "100 frees" since Jazz and I were in adjacent lanes. She said she lost track of me since I was too deep, so we can all look forward to seeing Jazz.

Bottom line:

Not bad. My backstroke times were comparable to those I swam last September at the Shootout (there, I went 29.1 and 1:04.7) and I felt relatively more "rust" at this meet. If I had gone slower than 1:05.1, I would have had admit a defeat by the Geek, and send him more caps as penance. Fortunately, this humiliation was narrowly avoided.

Now, back to sprinting and the weight room. No more cushy aerobic sets and OW cruising!

Submit "Fall Ball Fun, Saturday, Sept. 26" to Digg Submit "Fall Ball Fun, Saturday, Sept. 26" to del.icio.us Submit "Fall Ball Fun, Saturday, Sept. 26" to StumbleUpon Submit "Fall Ball Fun, Saturday, Sept. 26" to Google

Updated September 26th, 2009 at 09:16 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

I would have loved to see that 100.
    Sounds like you had a Ball.

No more cushy aerobic sets and OW cruising!
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I would have loved to see that 100.
    And you will soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Sounds like you had a Ball.

LOL
    Been having some cognitive dissonance lately. I'm worried I've forgotten how to tolerate piercing lactate pain! But I'm sure you'll be acutely aware of that in your upcoming 200 ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Been having some cognitive dissonance lately. I'm worried I've forgotten how to tolerate piercing lactate pain! But I'm sure you'll be acutely aware of that in your upcoming 200 ...
    Wait... my 200 free is going to hurt?
    It was a fun meet. I had alot of fun when I saw my 200 fly time!!!!
    Not at all. As a matter of fact, the faster you go, the less it will hurt. So drop the hammer and just go. It'll be fine.
    Not if you take it out slow like I do ... oh wait, no that hurts too. Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    It was a fun meet. I had alot of fun when I saw my 200 fly time!!!!
    I thought all your 200 times were really solid. You're definitely "on the curve."
    nice SDK, I prefer SDKing on my back rather than my belly,
    front dive, roll over, SDK rollover past flags, turn, push off hard stay on bk

"back to sprinting and the weight room"
    glad to see you're about to be back on the right path

train like Cameron VDB
    August 18, 2009 morning swim show

Get STRONG, GET SPEED, swim & SDK fast
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    nice SDK, I prefer SDKing on my back rather than my belly,
    front dive, roll over, SDK rollover past flags, turn, push off hard stay on bk

"back to sprinting and the weight room"
    glad to see you're about to be back on the right path

train like Cameron VDB
    August 18, 2009 morning swim show

Get STRONG, GET SPEED, swim & SDK fast
    Yep, that's all I'm going to work on through the end of the year!