View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Pics + "100 free" vid

Rate this Entry
by , September 27th, 2009 at 10:05 PM (2273 Views)
More Fall Ball:

Here's the video of Jazz and I swimming the "100 free" at the Fall Ball (with a little cameo of Jackie O. ...) Jazzy's fly looks very smooth. I was way too deep -- no wonder I had trouble seeing/reaching the touchpad at the finish ... lol. Kirk said we should be deeked for delay of meet.

I could hear Allison in the background saying "what's the point?" lol. The point was fun. I'd definitely do a 50 SDK in that setting again.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U12FIYZwwX4"]YouTube - Leslie & Brian's 100 free[/ame]

I did get my 100 back splits: 31.6/33.1, basically almost even split b/c the differential was mainly the start. No split on my 50 SDK. Just didn't hit the touchpad hard enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had a blast at the PV swim wedding. It's pretty funny when the groom welcomes everyone by first asking "How many of you went to swim practice or coached a practice this morning before coming?" We got swim caps as favors and these were seen in abundance on the dance floor. Many of us plan to wear them at the Sprint Classic next month. And the very handsome and beautiful bride and groom even posed for a swim shot (see below). I'm surprised Wally didn't give Jeff a little push ...
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010729.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	6302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010710.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	6303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010700.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	6305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010703.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	6306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010724.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	6307  

Submit "Pics + "100 free" vid" to Digg Submit "Pics + "100 free" vid" to del.icio.us Submit "Pics + "100 free" vid" to StumbleUpon Submit "Pics + "100 free" vid" to Google

Updated September 28th, 2009 at 04:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Sweet and fun looking. It does look like a wonderful pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Sweet and fun looking. It does look like a wonderful pool.
    I was chatting with Peter Ward today (GMU coach). He said the pool, which apears largely modeled after GMU, will take huge pressure off GMU and U of Md to host so many PV meets. We frequently have weekend practices cancelled for USA-S meets, which can be a drag.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I was chatting with Peter Ward today (GMU coach). He said the pool, which apears largely modeled after GMU, will take huge pressure off GMU and U of Md to host so many PV meets. We frequently have weekend practices cancelled for USA-S meets, which can be a drag.
    With that being the case, I might have to drive down one weekend for a USA-S meet. It is such a sweet pool. GMU should have their weekend practices at 4:45 AM just like on the weekdays!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    With that being the case, I might have to drive down one weekend for a USA-S meet. It is such a sweet pool. GMU should have their weekend practices at 4:45 AM just like on the weekdays!
    Amen
    The 'little' girl sitting on the block to the right is Mini-Tree, aka Erika my daughter. She decided that she wanted to come to the meet.

I was standing at the start end and overhead the starter and ref taking. They were saying 'what are these 2 doing????'
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Amen

I think membership would decline. lol As I understand it, all the guys like the nighttime/regular weekend practices. It was the chicks who wanted the 4:45 am shift. And you. hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    I was standing at the start end and overhead the starter and ref taking. They were saying 'what are these 2 doing????'
    He seemed pretty shocked when talking to me too. But he was laughing!

Brian's swim actuallymade perfect sense. He wanted an unshaved untapered fly time to see where he was at and there was no 50 fly that meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress

I think membership would decline. lol As I understand it, all the guys like the nighttime/regular weekend practices. It was the chicks who wanted the 4:45 am shift. And you. hehe
    It would most certainly decline, and that was sort of tongue-in-cheek anyway. For me, the weekends are for recovery and I don't think I'd do another AM. Nice video, by the way- sounds like you guys provided some good entertainment for the officials, too.
    For me, the weekends are for recovery.
    I almost always take Saturday off as well.

So are we on for Thursday at noon? I told Jazz Hands our plan, BTW. Once he gets a car, he could join us for a lunch swim once in awhile.
    Thursday at noon sounds great- it would be great if Jazz were to start showing up too- I'd like some more sprinting mojo to balance out the AMs. Did you feel any different (other than tired) this weekend after last weekend's OW?
    Thursday at noon sounds great- it would be great if Jazz were to start showing up too- I'd like some more sprinting mojo to balance out the AMs. Did you feel any different (other than tired) this weekend after last weekend's OW?
    I'm not as sore this morning as after the OW swim. Was a very busy weekend though. I likewise need to get some sprint mojo back. Hulk was saying I should forget the fly/back thing and train for sprint freestyle. He wants me doing 10 x 50s @ 3:00. Jazz suggested 6:00 was a better interval. Sounds exhausting!

Peter was bragging yesterday that the Saturday am masters crew did 6,000 LC. Yikes! I told him I would continue avoiding him!
    He's been pounding them- Melanie said the week before they went 5400 LC or so as well. Monday he told me I should make it, and I told him I wish that I could, but I've got family obligations. He said I'd have fun with Wally there- thought he swam elsewhere? Germantown Masters?

Why drop fly/back- more focus? I'd rec higher than 3:00 too- I did some AFAP 50s last week on 3:00 and I had trouble recovering fully for them to be truly AFAP. Doing them on 3:00 would be good for something though.
    He's been pounding them- Melanie said the week before they went 5400 LC or so as well. Monday he told me I should make it, and I told him I wish that I could, but I've got family obligations. He said I'd have fun with Wally there- thought he swam elsewhere? Germantown Masters?

Why drop fly/back- more focus? I'd rec higher than 3:00 too- I did some AFAP 50s last week on 3:00 and I had trouble recovering fully for them to be truly AFAP. Doing them on 3:00 would be good for something though.
    It'd be good for 100s and 200s. Whoops, I don't do 200s ... I couldn't fully recover @ 3:00 either.

Paul just thinks I'm a sprint freestyler in disguise. I had my first masters coach tell me that 5 years ago. I think I need the SDK, though I haven't done even a stitch of fly lately. Need to add some easy speed fly back in gradually.

Wally swims with Mason Tu-Th-Sat am. Barb gets the Sunday workout shift. He's affiliated with Ancient Mariners though with Clay and Jeff. He also sometimes swims with Fairfax County Masters -- they have a punch card system -- and on his own at OakMarr.
    With this talk of great pools in the DC area, are any of them sufficiently large to host a Masters' Nationals?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    With this talk of great pools in the DC area, are any of them sufficiently large to host a Masters' Nationals?
    Doesn't seem so ... U of Md and Mason don't have enough warm down area. Mason doesn't have enough seating. The new high school pool has no warm down area, just the two short course pools or one long course pool. Freedom Center -- not quite big enough. I seem to recall that there was a long course meet held in Baltimore years ago though ... don't know where.

We are definitely not as pool rich here as you folks out west!
    Fort hit it on the head. I've looked into pools in this area and there are currently only two indoor facilities that even have a shot at hosting LCM Nats. And that's UMD and Mason, and space is tight in terms of Warmup and seating. We have quite a few pools where the pools are very nice, but outside of the competition pool, everything else is not quite up to hosting a USMS Nationals.

The 2000 LCM Nats were at UMBC's outdoor pool. The Rockville LCM pool could possibly host an LCM Nats but it's outdoors and the weather in the DC area in August is pretty much guaranteed thunderstorms.
    I agree, Nationals in August here would be difficult! 3-4 days in a row with no thunderstorms?!
    No pools in the Philly area to host any Nationals. GCIT needs much more seating and some warmdown space, period! Bucknell Univ could be a possibly but it is 3 hours outside of Philly. They have all the PIAA State Champs there and there is always a big turnout for that event.
    Beautiful bride and groom! It sounds like it was a fun wedding.
    I look forward to seeing you next month @ the Sprint Classic!
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    Beautiful bride and groom! It sounds like it was a fun wedding.
    I look forward to seeing you next month @ the Sprint Classic!
    Awesome! That's a really fun meet.