View RSS Feed

Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!

Wet!

Rate this Entry
by , September 27th, 2009 at 11:13 PM (238 Views)
Finally 2 weeks after Big Shoulders I hit the water today!
I was going to swim yesterday but instead I chose to run after Sarah's XC meet at the beautiful Culver Academy located on Lake Maxinkukee. I totally enjoyed my 52 minute run in perfect Indiana fall conditions.
I've been thinking about swimming goals alot during my 2 week rest/flu recess from the pool. I've decided a couple things:
a) I'm going to focus on strokes (back/fly) during this short course season. I have done nothing but free since LC started. I was happy with my 1500 nationals swim and Big Shoulder's results but now I need to re-focus. The 200 back and 200 fly are now my priority events.
b) I am going to do short freestyle sets focusing on bi-lateral breathing and a more balanced stroke. The only way I believe I can get rid of my stiff neck syndrome is to work on this. I have no problem bi-lateral breathing but I've become lazy and satisfied with left-side only breathing. This pattern is now coming to a close! I've heard it takes 3 weeks to create a habit so today was day one of 21!

Todays Solo @ Carmel Aquatic center SCY
5 X 200 Free on 3;45 (slow interval. Take my time to breath correctly, hold the water, pull and roll)
8 X 25 free on :40 (repeat thoughts from above)
4 X 25 free on :35 same
4 X 25 free on :30 same
4 X 25 Free on :30 Breathe every 5 strokes and try to sprint.
4 X 50 Flutter Kick w/board and no finz on 1:30
8 X 25 Fly on :40 (2 breath, 2 stroke)
4 X 50 back dolphin kick w/finz on 1:00
4 X 25 Fly on :30 same breathing pattern
10 X 25 Backstroke on :40 (concentrate on kick and head position)
5 X 50 backstroke on 1:00 trying to figure out stroke count from flags to flip.
Easy 100 IM
I enjoyed this easy workout. I think I did a good job focusing on the elements I need to work on and I walked away feeling great!
I'm swimming again tomorrow!

Submit "Wet!" to Digg Submit "Wet!" to del.icio.us Submit "Wet!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wet!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The 200 back I could (do) dig. The 200 fly? NFW!!!

I should have taken your advice the other day and stayed away from home untill everyone was well. But I probably had already been exposed to it by then. Now I'm ill. I hope I get over it quickly.
    I didn't realize that you were a flyer. Good luck with your 200 fly.
    Probably a good idea, Bob, to have some variety in your workouts. Doing all of one thing can cause injuries.

You keep changing your blog title!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I didn't realize that you were a flyer. Good luck with your 200 fly.
    Well I don't know if I'd quite call my self a butterflyer but I do swim it on occaison. I like the 200 more than the 50!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Probably a good idea, Bob, to have some variety in your workouts. Doing all of one thing can cause injuries.

You keep changing your blog title!
    That's exactly what I was thinking! I also think variety is good for my adhd brain! (and that's also why I am always switching my blog title!)